Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800

Go down 
+11
tufftaff
oldfart
doobie
DrewMechen
barky
captain crash
alfie92
Mr Intruder
Badger
pledge
Bluesman
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Empty
PostSubject: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 11:05 pm

Well something I should have done a while back - my DIY noisy pipes were good but I was never keen on someone looking down the exhaust and seeing all that stuff (dealer, mates, cops etc) so I took the plunge. The Hard Kromes did not happen as Custom Cruisers just could not seem to get lambda sensor buses welded on for me soon enough...........so Looked in the direction of Phil at Metric Cruisers, Bournemouth. The new Highway Hawk Short Cuts really caught my fancy - not the usual long pipe look, but made for the C800 and with 2 sensor holes to boot........and £307. So that's what I got.

Just like Mr. Intruder said, the old ones came off in one piece (well actually I took off the rear muffler to make things easier and then all the rest in one go.) The HH's came with no instructions at all New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 474255 which is a shame because the kit was very comprehensive - so it took me quite a while to figure out the whole stock rear mounting assembly had to come off to be replaced by HH's own sturdy alternative! From then on it was pretty plain sailing. The sensors went on ok so hopefully my bike will monitor the changes - well most of the guys in the trade seem to think so, but I'll check me plugs once in a while to be on the safe side. Phil said to polish the pipes with wax to get off the finger marks before firing up. So here's what they look like:

New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 HHshortcuts

New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 C800ShortCuts

Seems strange to see all that space at the back - will make cleaning the back wheel easier though. I put the baffles in and fired her up - nice and pretty loud! Anyway - here's a video of the sound. I did try with the baffles out but ouch! I won't be ready for that for a while and my neighbours certainly won't!

The sound is quite snarly and very similar to my HD but a bit louder. - I like to ride with a bark to go with the bite! Happy days New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 215375
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 8:23 am

Your bike looks great, I think the C800 looks so much better with shorter pipes the back end seems to look over crowded with stock pipes.

I'm not sure if it's me or not but the video hasn't appeared the photo's have. sorry it was me just sorted it.

Just watched video sounds spot on.
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 8:38 am

Damn, that's sweet.

Glad no one stole your camera as you were riding. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 10:38 am

They look real sweet & sound friggin fab, I love em New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 586905
You must be well chuffed New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 660750991
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 11:32 am

Sound looking pipes much better than stock.Back end better open,and lighter too.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Oooooooo Mr Blues New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 1111147277

You really are as cooool as a cucumber with those babies on.New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 123721
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 10:37 am

Hi Bluesman How are the new exhaust now you have had them on a few days have you noticed any increase in power do you have any backfireing on deacceleration and do you feel the lamda sensors have seen to the fuel and air issues? Hope everythings all well with it they really do look nice.New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 276246
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 11:22 am

pledge wrote:
Hi Bluesman How are the new exhaust now you have had them on a few days have you noticed any increase in power do you have any backfireing on deacceleration and do you feel the lamda sensors have seen to the fuel and air issues? Hope everythings all well with it they really do look nice.New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 276246
New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 428386 I would love to know what has or hasn't happenned too
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Me to New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 2164642469
Back to top Go down
barky

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 3:42 pm

they sound & look great! if i didn't have the vance & hines cruzers i would be interested in putting them on mine New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 276246
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks for the interest guys and gals. I have ridden about 100 miles now. Seems to be more power but that might be because of the noise! No backfiring much really. Seems to pull smoothly at all revs - have not checked the plugs, will do sometime but the engine certainly feels very happy and the bike appears to be tuned just right. The tone on the video I made is great. Sitting on top of them they seem a bit high pitched like many aftermarket pipes - maybe more to me than everyone around hears. This could be partly due to the amidships position of the ends, being so short. They certainly have a great bark and turn heads when I ride in town. I read that many guys wrap the baffles so I have done that using fibre glass bound with wire and reinserted:

New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 BaffleWrap

New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 HHbaffles

The twisted wire ends need pushing through the baffle holes to stop the wrapping moving in the violent exhaust draught. I used the same stuff I had in my stock mod. Some people use stove rope instead. This wrapping, deadens the tone and makes it a little more neighbour friendly (if that matters) I actually tried riding with ear plugs today - much deeper and maybe one for the motorway drone?

Anyway I am pretty pleased with them to say the least. Two Harley boys came past towards me today - we were all giving it some. Mine sounded better, I thought. They both waved so probably thought mine sounded pretty good too!Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 5:48 pm

Glad to hear that Bluesman it all seems to have turned out in a positive way, it's really nice to hear the bark of your bike after fitting aftermarket exhausts.New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 2170595768
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Well I for one am looking forward to the Bank Holiday meet at Barry to have a proper look!
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 6:09 pm

Bluesman wrote:

New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 BaffleWrap

Now you really have gotta stop biting your nails Mr Blues Sir New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 2254362768 ....................New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 852880
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 6:39 pm

captain crash wrote:

Now you really have gotta stop biting your nails Mr Blues Sir New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 2254362768 ....................New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 852880

Actually the thumb is black from when I hit it with a hammer doing my stock exhaust earlier this year but I Photoshopped it nearly normal (except the bitten bit) I've spent such a long time airbrushing not-so-pretty-ladies to look not half bad since digital photography first came along, I can't even put an imperfect pic of me thumb on the bike site! Here's the original:

New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Nail

I suppose I could have done a nice manicure too but it's not really 'biker' is it!
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
Well I for one am looking forward to the Bank Holiday meet at Barry to have a proper look!

I had thought of whipping out the baffles just as I arrive in Barry but I tried it yesterday for a very short run (bloody hell!!!!!!!!!!) no, I shall arrive in Barry all baffled.......... and bewildered too no doubt.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 7:00 pm

I expect we will be able to tell which one is you when your coming down the road!
You will be the one riding in to Barry on low rev's lol!
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Made a video of the baffles in v baffles out. Sound out is VERY loud and burbly with no baffles but the bike runs poorly with little backpressure - I think this is one for the fuel processors maybe. I'm amazed how two small baffles can tune up the performance so much. Easily loud enough with baffles in and the bike runs so sweetly.

I came back from a ride today and all the fibreglass packing had blown out! So I think I'll forget that one! Anyway I'm well used to the sound now and will probably go with just how Highway Hawk set them up in the first place - but you gotta try these things!
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 8:11 pm

How do you guys manage come mot time? Find a friendly one I guess.
I really like those pipes. New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 215375
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 8:42 pm

Sounds great Blues.
Love the way you did the video, that really help highlight the difference
It's hardly surprising that the bike runs like shit without the baffles because as you highlighted, there is no back pessure. you would need to add a K&N or alternative high flow air filter and add a fuel injection processor to get it to run properly like that!

I have started a new thread on DB levels that you may find interesting
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 9:11 pm

The thud on that bloody exhaust of yours without baffles in would set of car alarms lol!
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
The thud on that bloody exhaust of yours without baffles in would set of car alarms lol!

A group of Swansea cruiser riders I know all have very loud pipes - they tell me that when they ride through a village, car alarms are triggered everywhere - talk about announcing your arrival!
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 9:52 pm

Badger wrote:
How do you guys manage come mot time? Find a friendly one I guess.

One guy I know has Raasks that are deafening. He got his MOT from a local tester with an advisory: 'Pipes a bit loud'.....New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 3213823784 Still I'll know where to go for my 1st MOT in 2 years time, although my pipes are not that loud compared to others around these parts.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 9:53 pm

Brilliant Vid Mr Blues. They sound great with the baffles but my christ do they have a lovelly bark without them!!!!!!!! Saying that though I ain't sure I would wanna listen to em for long without baffles in above low revs for long
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Bluesman wrote:
One guy I know has Raasks that are deafening. He got his MOT from a local tester with an advisory: 'Pipes a bit loud'.....New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 3213823784 Still I'll know where to go for my 1st MOT in 2 years time
My scrambler had an advisory on it " Tested without lights" Advisories are simply a waist of ink on the MOT sheet.
The only time an advisory is relevant in this context is when you are selling the bike, it gives potential buyers an enhanced percpective of their possibly new to them bike or car.
Back to top Go down
DrewMechen
DrewMechen

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 2:52 pm

Blues, perfect! they are exactly what I am looking for. i am taking a drive to the shop today and maybe bringing a set back with me....mate, spot on!

Drew
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 4:17 pm

Make sure you use the suzuki800 10% discount
Back to top Go down
DrewMechen
DrewMechen

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 4:42 pm

is there a ref number forthe discount or does the name do the job?
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 6:42 pm

DrewMechen wrote:
is there a ref number forthe discount or does the name do the job?

I think a mention should do it. Lucky you - I got mine a few days before Mr.I secured the discount! Glad you like the pipes - be prepared to be noticed!!! New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 215375
Back to top Go down
DrewMechen
DrewMechen

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Jon from the shop has mailed me saying that he has just sold his last set online but more coming in Thusday. Something to do on the weekend. :)
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 7:04 pm

Bluesman wrote:
I think a mention should do it. Lucky you
As per Johns post my friend New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 3498837457
Back to top Go down
DrewMechen
DrewMechen

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Blues' thanks buddy! :)

Just fitted my pipes.....Oh Em Gee! Its raining now but i am going out just to hear them, in the garage they made my ears bleed...quality!
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:49 pm

DrewMechen wrote:
Blues' thanks buddy! :)

Just fitted my pipes.....Oh Em Gee! Its raining now but i am going out just to hear them, in the garage they made my ears bleed...quality!

New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 3005623951 New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 184121345
Back to top Go down
DrewMechen
DrewMechen

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 3:51 pm

i have a 'perma-grin' on my face.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 4:19 pm

Glad your happy with your new pipes
Would be nice if you got the camera out and gave us a couple of pictures in the Showroom section then, then we can smile with you New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 3498837457
Back to top Go down
doobie
Valued Member
doobie

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 5:48 pm

top job blue's....just going too take the hacksaw to my raask's....or maybe not....i do prefer the short shot
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 6:05 pm

I think when you fit after market exhausts on your bike it turns it into a differant bike.(if that makes any sense).New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 855947
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 6:57 pm

Makes sense to me, gave my bike a new lease of life
Back to top Go down
DrewMechen
DrewMechen

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 11:12 pm

a few things that I have noticed after getting these pipes; the sound it is fantastic, i went for a ride down town tonight, tight lanes with high buildings left and right...the sound was great. Also, speed take up, when i first got on it i thought that it was a bit sluggish, my hand had the same amount of twist in it but no pull on my arms as i moved off, i thought that i was going slower untill i looked at my clock and had to ease off. Did i mention the sound?

Blue's, i think i will taking your other idea about putting those extensions on but i will also be putting tape around them so the join will be less noticable.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 7:04 am

DrewMechen wrote:
a few things that I have noticed after getting these pipes; the sound it is fantastic, i went for a ride down town tonight, tight lanes with high buildings left and right...the sound was great. Also, speed take up, when i first got on it i thought that it was a bit sluggish, my hand had the same amount of twist in it but no pull on my arms as i moved off, i thought that i was going slower untill i looked at my clock and had to ease off. Did i mention the sound?

Blue's, i think i will taking your other idea about putting those extensions on but i will also be putting tape around them so the join will be less noticable.

Speed take up is probably much the same - it's just the new sound changes your preception of the power. I have the extensions off at the moment. I liked the look and the way they took the black stuff away from the frame/back wheel and not over it but they were starting to become a little hollow sounding to my ears. I might do a with/without video to compare the sound. The pipes may have more bite with them off - we'll see. I think with exhausts, it's all a bit trial and error anyway!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:20 am

Blues out of curiosity how do you prefer the sound/tone of your slash cuts, with or without the baffles installed?
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
Blues out of curiosity how do you prefer the sound/tone of your slash cuts, with or without the baffles installed?

Thank you, thank you,thank you Mr.INew pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 433968 cos I read this and I thought does he mean without the extra stove rope or completely without the baffles......soooooooo I took em out completely and put the extensions and woweeeeee what a sound - deep, rumbly and like a big big v twin but.......here's the good bit, then bike ran beautifully smooth - not rough like it did when I first tried it with the baffles out on the short shots. Don't know whether it's the extra length or the bend or what but the bike sounds like I've always wanted it to with that big bore v.twin thump. It is a bit louder than with the baffles but the raspy sound has gone. The problem is that I really really want to run it like that but whether I will find it just too anti-social we will have to see. Made 2 dogs jump a bit and the owner had to hold on to their leads - so I'll have to be careful. But anyway thanks for the idea - at the moment I'm over the moon - will make a video soon.

New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 256401
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 3:37 pm

Cool glad your happy and the question encouraged you to try a new setup New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 3498837457

The reason I asked is that with my Cruzers I really am very happy with the setup with the baffles in. I love the sound of my bike without them on tickover but as soon as I gave it throttle it was too loud. Where as now I have the quiet that I want at tickover but still get a nice rumble under acceleration but at cruising speed it pur's again.
Trial and error has got to be the key, I have done 4/5 hundred miles now since fitting the hardkrome quiet baffles and I was riding today thinking I really have got the noise/rumble/tone just how I want it, which is a good feeling when you spend a lot of cash on aftermarket parts without really knowing what the end result will be
Back to top Go down
oldfart
oldfart

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 6:27 am

Love the sound of those pipes, unfortunatly I care for my elderly mother fulltime and all the neighbours are older residents as well so the stock pipes will be it for me for quite some time me thinks .......... one day though
Back to top Go down
tufftaff
tufftaff

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 6:46 pm

Hey Bluesman,

Liked the look of them so bought some New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 123721 . Fitting Them on Saturday, any other tips ?

Also got the HH Wide Sissy bar

Now then - Priced the teardrop HH K&N filter with cover - fookin £160 - nearly dropped through the floor - so I'm going to fit a K&N with the standard airbox - does anyone have a cheaper alternative ?

New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 4070287859

BTW my local HH dealer used to be Realworld in Aberdare. it's has now been taken over by Duke, Bill and Mike - bloody good chaps - if you're in South Wales call in and see them at Cardiff Road Aberdare - they are now Celtic Motorcycles
Back to top Go down
scotland warrior
scotland warrior

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 6:57 pm

Nice Pipes
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 9:09 pm

tufftaff wrote:
Hey Bluesman,

Liked the look of them so bought some New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 123721 . Fitting Them on Saturday, any other tips ?

Also got the HH Wide Sissy bar

Now then - Priced the teardrop HH K&N filter with cover - fookin £160 - nearly dropped through the floor - so I'm going to fit a K&N with the standard airbox - does anyone have a cheaper alternative ?

New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 4070287859

BTW my local HH dealer used to be Realworld in Aberdare. It has now been taken over by Duke, Bill and Mike - bloody good chaps - if you're in South Wales call in and see them at Cardiff Road Aberdare - they are now Celtic Motorcycles

Glad you went for the short cuts Rob - you will have the tastiest exhaust note in Aberdare! Bought a bike from Real World last year - spoke to Celtic on the phone recently - sounds like a good place; let's hope they make a go of it!

It's quite good fun taking off the stock system as the complete bracket goes and the new slimmed down one goes on. You may need to remove the top muffler to get at the bracket bolts. I took the rest of the system off in one piece. The header hex key bolts were stubborn so I used a longish piece of copper pipe for extra leverage and they came free quite easy then. You should not need new gaskets. The HH surface will show marks if not polished first so you should do that before starting to fit. As time goes on the insides will get black and the sound will thicken. The first thing you will notice is how gorgeously loud they are with a great 'crack' when you flex the throttle. You may find them just a bit too much (even with the baffles in) so you wrap 'stove rope' around the baffles and secure with galvanised wire if you want less noise. You may just like it loud and nasty (lovely!)

Can't remember which model year you have - if you have sensors, remove the cables completely by unclipping at the top (under the plastic covers) and unbolting on the pipe before refitting. The bike should adjust to the new pipes no prob. I did not upgrade the intake - as you are planning to do this you may need to add control with a fuel processor. Will help anyway I can. Hope to see you down this way when the weather gets warmer - we can rev up together and make a few Harley heads turn..............enjoy!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 9:31 pm

Your bike looks an sounds great John New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 2170595768
Back to top Go down
tufftaff
tufftaff

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 8:47 am

Thanks for the info - what do you use to polish them ? I normally use Mr Sheen and get great results
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 5:12 pm

tufftaff wrote:
Thanks for the info - what do you use to polish them ? I normally use Mr Sheen and get great results

Any polish - Mr.Sheen sounds fine!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800   New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New pipes at last, Highway Hawk Short Cuts on C800
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next