Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Highway Hawk Pipes M800

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
collo
collo

Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Empty
PostSubject: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 5:23 pm

Fitted new pipes to my 2009 800m and a slight problem as you can see by my profile picture the airbox on the 2009 is a different shape to the earlier model which the guy a bought the pipes off had, at the moment its a very very tight and id prefer to fit a new box can anyone suggest where and how much I should pay, or suggest something else.

The new pipes sound amazing, however I did as tape up the lambda sensors and cut the brown and black wire as suggested and the F1 light still comes on, some say dont worry some say power commander re mappeed etc ert

any help for a non engineer minded me would be grateful.

collo
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 6:00 pm

Hey Collo Welcome Highway Hawk Pipes M800 18617
Love the look of the pipes, I bet they make your ears bleed Highway Hawk Pipes M800 249703
Have you fitted a fuel injection module? I hope so because the bike comes out of the factory running lean and those lovely new pipes of yours will making it even leaner (leaner is that a word Laughing )

You taped up the lambda sensors Hmmmmmmmm! Thats one way of doing things I suppose.
Mate why carry them around on the bike for the sake of it, unplug them its easy. Follow the rear one up and it will go in behind the offside cover, remove the two bolts that hold the bracket that holds the ECM in place and move it out of the way and you will be able to unplug it. For the front one follow the wire up a few inches and the wire will disappear up behind the frame, pull on the wire gently and the front plug will pop out, now unplug that one.

Are you sure you have cut the right wire?
The reason that I ask is because on the C800 you cut wire 23 not 28 and on the C800 the wire is black/White not brown/black (I would be very surprised if the two bikes run on different ECM's. as to the best of my knowledge the differeces between the two bikes is only cosmetic!

Please don't take my word as gospel, I get things wrong the same as anyone else.
Certainly worth double checking your information though!

Last edited by The Intruder on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
bestbuyet
Prospect
bestbuyet

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 8:23 pm

my mate fitted this type of snake exhaust to his honda vt1100 never had bike set up after fitting and ended up with both exhaust valves burn out and a bill for £500 to put right the dealer told him after t even after he had set the bike up there was still a risk due to the length of the pipes being to short
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:03 am

collo as already said, I love the look of your pipes on the bike but I just re read your post and realised you have not added a fuel processor. BAD BAD BAD, you are now running seriously lean. You need more fuel asap. take a look at healtech electronics and have a read about there FI Pro, its worth a look but what ever you do, you got to do something what ever or you could do some harm to your engine. If money is tight it might be worth popping your stock pipes back on until you can get an add on
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 3:45 pm

thanks for the tips guys, not been on the bike since I fitted them! been scared of damaging the bike, guy at Metricf cruisers in b'mouth said dont worry about the fuel processors and re mapping!!

Totally confused Collo.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 3:58 pm

mate he is full of sh*t, he so fekin wrong it's shocking that he is actually got the brass front to give advice. you have to add a fuel processor or risk damage.
if you are in any doubt and want to here it from the people that really know then ring one of the really big retailers like george whites in swindon and ask one of the mechanics and see what they say! 01793716730
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Ok thanks for that, where can I get a fuel processor, how much should I pay for it? or do I flog the Highway hawk pipes and save for some with the lambda sensor holes etc etc
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 7:17 pm

personally I Like your pipes and would keep them, but that just me! I have just bought the healtech electronics FI Pro to sort my new pipes out, I fitted it at the weekend with the stock maps that I downloaded from there web site. Hopefully I will be putting the aftermarket exhaust maps in at the weekend if I get the chance to fit my new V&H cruisers. I went for the healtech FI Pro because it was easy to fit with downloadable maps and I know they are very good at responding to any questions sent via email. Before I bought the FI Pro I sent and received about 20 emails over 2 days. They also will hold your hand so to speak all the way through the install if you require, although it is so easy it is shocking. 1hr from start to finish and it was installed and mapped and ready to ride Or you could go for the power commander which is very popular with this bike. Forget the lambda sensors, simply unplug them and add a fuel processor . Please don't think I am trying to push you towards what I bought, I can only give an opinion on the little that I know. Other people might have other opinions.
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 4:40 pm

Do you mind me asking how huch the FI Pro is? thanks for the advice been really really helpful.

Finally, if you look a my picture you can see the airbox is really squeezed on, can I change this to the old shape (mine is shileld, old shape is pear) or can I fit an after marker one?

Thanks
Collo
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 6:47 pm

for the Healtech FI Pro I paid £179.99. check out the Healtech web site there is loads of info on there about this item. I have no technical knowledge about this type of thing, I simply bought it because I was happy with the price and I liked what I had read about the item. I was amazed at how quickly they responded via email to any and all technical questions I had with regards to fitting on the intruder, they only actually make these for Suzuki's at present. the guy at Healtech that will answer any tech questions is called norbert and believe me he will know more about your bike than you do.but I Would say don't just follow what I have done for an easy life, do a bit of research in to that option and possibly the power commander and maybe the bully as well. I am happy with what I got and if I was buying again I Would buy it again. If you do decide to go for the Healtech FI Pro and you decide you want a hand fitting it and putting the maps in then as long as its a weekend I Would be happy to help as your only an hour down the road from me. But it really is easy and you would do it without a problem..
As for the air box I am not sure whether it would be a direct fit or not but if you haven't found out by the weekend then I will make some enquiries, sorry I can't be any more help tonight but I am 200 miles from home tapping away on my bloody phone, I new I should have taken my laptop to work with me.
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Thats really helpfull I will give norbert a call next week. Really wish I hadnt jumped in cut the wrong wire, fitted the pipes and ended up with a great sounding bike im too worried to ride, must learn some patience one of these days!!! thanks and will keep you informed. Also if you do think of anything for the airbox let me know as the rubber widget poking out the bottom is touching one of the pipes and that cant be good!!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 8:24 pm

no worries mate and wires are easy to re-connect Wink
If you have still got the stock pipes then pop them back on until your ready to fit your new ones properly at least then you can still enjoy your bike in the mean time.
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 8:32 pm

Just been reading about dyno power commanders they seem to do the same sort of thing for an extra £150! sorry to keep asking questions but I understand your respones! when I spoke to the guy at alchemy he kept saying id need to spend the best part of £600/700 which sounded obscene. Did you use bikers discount store? Would you suggest anything else other than disconnecting the lambda (rather than taping up), rewiring 23, and installing the Fi Pro, and then happy riding? the mrs moans the seat isnt comfy but that is the last thing on the list.
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 10:14 pm

norbert came back to me with the following

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your email.

We have a FI module but it's not suitable for the M800.

What we have for the M800 is a SpeedoHealer speedometer calibrator and GIpro
gear indicators.

Kind Regards,
/Norbert
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 10:15 pm

what year is your bike by the way?
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:58 am

What healtech had to say, know im totally lost!!!!

Hi Andrew,

The SpeedoHealer and GIpro do not change the fueling.

It's hard to tell if you need a power commander or not without checking out
the air-fuel ratio of your bike on a dyno.
The forum members with similar setup might already know this.

Kind Regards,
/Norbert
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 9:25 am

I am totally thrown by that, I will dig in to this one myself as that's got me really curious as to what the difference is between the two. That's if there is a difference, it could be they don't want to commit as they have not dyno'd the M800, separately from the C800.
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 9:32 am

I thought they were the same bike with basically a different rear end!

If you could do some digging that would be marvelous

Cheers

Collo
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 10:08 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah the plot thickens,
I just spoke to george whites tech guy and he said the bikes apart from cosmetics, to all intense and purposes are the same bike.
Hmmmmmmmmm!
More enquiries shall be made, bear with me I don't get home again til 2morrow. I know its crap for you still not knowing but I love a mystery.I will get on to norbert later I have a few questions for him. Plus a few other lines of enquiry I would like to chase.
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 11:05 am

Superstar thank you
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:40 pm

Bloody hell this is Turning in to a real saga study

OK well I am still waiting on some info from a couple of sources including Suzuki UK and Suzuki America, however the info thus far is as follows.

From George Whites Tech guy (they sell more Suzuki's in the UK than anyone) QUOTE "Apart from a slight weight difference due to cosmetics with the M800 weighing 17lb's less than the C800, the engine and tuning are the same"

From Dynojet's Tech guy Chris, QUOTE "We sell the same unit with identical down loadable maps for the M800 and C800, the bikes are one and the same from a tuning point of view"

It would seem that we are heading towards confirmation that they are exactly the same, however as already said I am still waiting for solid confirmation.
I believe that Healtech are playing it safe as they have not as yet dyno'd an M800 separately from the C800 which would explain his reply possibly being a cautious one. However as I am receiving information I am also sending it to Norbert and awaiting a response from him.

Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:20 pm

Yeah Baby!!!!!!!!

Collo I have just received this email from Norbert at Healtech, I reckon we are getting somewhere my friend!
If you need any pics from my bike of the port let me know and I will post them 2morrow!

Hi Dave & Andrew,

Thank you for your email.

We are aware that the two models have identical ECM, but somehow we have a note in our database that the M800 does not have the 8-pole black expansion port connector where the FIT module connects to.
The Dynojet module connects elsewhere, they do not use this plug.

However, we just looked up all documentation we have and it appears the connector is there on the M800 as well.

Andrew, when you have the chance, could you please take a look and see if you find this 8-pole black connector, near the ECM module.
I'm sending a photo showing how this connector looks like.
On the C800/M800 it is behind the left cover I believe, but David may give you a better description if you need as he installed it few days ago.

I am sorry for the confusion and thank you very much for your attention and
help.

Kind Regards,
/Norbert
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 12:07 am

I think this conversation yes firstly been amazing for me an my knowledge being only a year into owning a bike, and also to anyone who owns a 800c or M. Pat on the back to me for being a retard and yourself and your digging skills.

Meet up and have a blast soon then, I want to check out the rest of your extras!

Collo
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 8:16 am

Hmmmmmmm what will I do with my life now that the saga comes to a close.

However Twisted Evil

Remember there are still plenty of people that say if your not modding both the exhaust and air filter but only one of the items then fuel processors are not required but then there are also still people that believe that the moon is made of cheese.
The choices we make with our two wheeled pride and joys should never be overly influenced by others, we should simply take in all the available information from all quarters and make our own decisions. after all when/if it all goes wrong you'll be on your own when it comes to coming up with the cash to put it right.
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 5:34 pm

disconnected the lambda sensors completely rather than tape them up, also checked the wiring situation and I have orange white, black white, white blue and black brown. i still have the black brown cut!

Anyway what a saga, and after it all im still not sure what to do, other than I am taking it out next week for a few hundred miles and if if blows up, F*** it.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 5:48 pm

I have been told the colors may vary but the pin positions won't, only so much I can do. This one thread is taking over my life, down to you now.
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 6:01 pm

what can I say im a taker! thanks for all your help

Collo
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 6:12 pm

ordered the air box removal kit that someone was kind enough to suggest from the states (£50), the FI Tuner pro will come on pay day, do you think I should spend the extra £90 odd to get the TRE at the same time? do you recomend it?

Collo
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 8:01 pm

Ideally a Timing Retard Eliminator should be used whether making any other changes or not for various reasons but its one of those jobs you can do when funds allow rather than a must do!
Also do a bit of research you might find it cheaper else where
Back to top Go down
bestbuyet
Prospect
bestbuyet

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 5:20 am

just a note if i fit any mods ie i need new air filter will try and go for k and n after fitment i will always go and get bike dyno ed to set up for optimum performance and reliability fastrack motorcycles leicester are good also lester motorcycles
there are plenty of good dyno places that can re map ecu unit to your personal requirements
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 9:15 am

bestbuyet wrote:
there are plenty of good dyno places that can re map ecu unit to your personal requirements
Very simply not true for the M800 or C800
You can’t get the ECU upgraded to anywhere near the right effect where fuelling’s concerned on this bike. There are many thousands of these bikes that are fitted with fuel injection processors and the reason is simply because the generic maps cant reach the optimization required. Also every time you make any kind of change to the bike presuming they could get it right in the first place it would need to be flashed again.
Also with most designs of fuel injection module you can download and or share maps that have been custom made.
What works for one bike make or model is not always transferable information to another but if you do the same setup as someone else you could potentially share the map which will not necessarily be perfect for your bike but it would be pretty dam near to it & will have saved you a small fortune.
Anyway each to their own, all we can do is suck in the info that is available from all sources, digest it and then do what we believe is right.

Last edited by The Intruder on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 3:18 pm

My head is spinning. :aghh: I'm going back to Harleys. Laughing
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 4:15 pm

I know how you feel you read up on these things one says one thing the other says another thing then when you think you have got it and make your mind up you read something else.
So after reading so much I finally had a Power Commander and am I glad I did the bike runs spot on now. Highway Hawk Pipes M800 29160
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 5:51 pm

Agreed, so much information that comes from different places.
It does your head in to the point of explosion Highway Hawk Pipes M800 291468
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Highway Hawk Pipes M800   Highway Hawk Pipes M800 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Highway Hawk Pipes M800
Page 1 of 1