Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Coolant change advice

Go down 
+4
Rattler
Mr Intruder
captain crash
Bluesman
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

Coolant change advice Empty
PostSubject: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 11:24 pm

My bike will be 2 in September and has already had its 7500 mile service. I'm on 10,000 now. I see the coolant change is at 2 years - is this a critical time or could I wait until the 11,000 in about 6 months?
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 12:40 am

I would wait, recommended times are well inside the required time. As you have a service planned I would hold off until that is done.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 3:32 am

I'm with crash, seeing as a service will be done in 6 months why bother.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:57 am

Coolant change advice 433968 guys. I'll wait - that suits me fine. Couldn't seem to find that advice anywhere on the net but suzuki800.com came up with the answer straight away - Coolant change advice 881924
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 4:38 pm

I think that this as with oil or anything else is that it does have a shelf life that it is guaranteed to work at full steam, so to speak, after that it will start at some point to degrade. I would always advice that all fluids should be changed at the recommended intervals, I actually change my oil more frequently than is recommended. However I look at it like this, because you don't do your own maintenance on your bikes you have two choices, Either bring your planned service forward or wait another six months until it is due. I can't see the product in question breaking down within that 6 months to such a degree that it really warrants it.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
I think that this as with oil or anything else is that it does have a shelf life that it is guaranteed to work at full steam, so to speak, after that it will start at some point to degrade. I would always advice that all fluids should be changed at the recommended intervals, I actually change my oil more frequently than is recommended. However I look at it like this, because you don't do your own maintenance on your bikes you have two choices, Either bring your planned service forward or wait another six months until it is due. I can't see the product in question breaking down within that 6 months to such a degree that it really warrants it.

Coolant change advice 3999423852
Back to top Go down
Rattler
Valued Member
Rattler

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 7:25 pm

What coolant brand does everyone use?
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 7:35 pm

My bike still has the same coolant that it came with in 2007, the local motorcycle shop I use who has a very good reputation says as long as the coolant tests ok there's no need to change it. Most cars come now with coolant that only needs changing after 10 years.
Back to top Go down
Rattler
Valued Member
Rattler

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 7:41 pm

Ah right. Well I have a coolant tester somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 9:20 pm

How do you test coolant?
Back to top Go down
Rattler
Valued Member
Rattler

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 9:26 pm

Dunno how it works but it's a pipet with 3 coloured balls in it and depending on their position tells you the condition of the coolant.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 10:08 pm

Rattler wrote:
Dunno how it works but it's a pipet with 3 coloured balls in it and depending on their position tells you the condition of the coolant.

Ah, thanks - bit like a pregnancy test for motorcycles!
Back to top Go down
Rattler
Valued Member
Rattler

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 10:34 pm

Exactly.

[url=http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=530559&categoryId=255224&langId=-1Exactly. ]http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=530559&categoryId=255224&langId=-1Exactly. [/url]
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 11:45 pm

OMG ! My Intruders expecting
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 12:03 am

At £4.99 that's gotta be a good thing I would have thought. I might end up saving money over a long period with, I'm going to get one of those. I would rather not do any maintenance that doesn't need doing and if that little tool can assure me my coolant isn't becoming acid or whatever it turns into over time that's great.
Back to top Go down
icetechaus
Valued Member
icetechaus

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 8:04 am

It measures specific gravity, basically the density of the fluid relative to the mass of the balls in the tube. I used to test my car battery acid with a similar thing many years ago.
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:30 am

pledge wrote:
My bike still has the same coolant that it came with in 2007, the local motorcycle shop I use who has a very good reputation says as long as the coolant tests ok there's no need to change it. Most cars come now with coolant that only needs changing after 10 years.

I'm with you Ray .... my coolant hasn't been changed since I got the bike in 2007 ( who knows maybe it wasn't changed in the 4 years prior to that either ) but it still functions OK.

I must admit I have thought to myself that I should change it though, reckon it might be the next scheduled mantenence task I undertake .
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 1:36 pm

I have never changed coolant in anything and only ever topped up with water, Shame on me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change advice   Coolant change advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coolant change advice
Page 1 of 1