Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Foot controls, making them closer?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
coffeescoffer
coffeescoffer

Foot controls, making them closer? Empty
PostSubject: Foot controls, making them closer?   Foot controls, making them closer? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 11:20 pm

While I am quite happy with the position of my foot controls O would be more happy if they were back about an inch. By the look of teh roward controls in other threads it might be possible to do this.
Yes it seems I have the "customizer" bug. Foot controls, making them closer? 1526609790
Has anyone tried this or have any ideas.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Foot controls, making them closer?   Foot controls, making them closer? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 4:23 pm

Sorry but you can't buy anything off the peg but I am sure it can be done although it sounds like hard work for the result
Back to top Go down
coffeescoffer
coffeescoffer

PostSubject: Re: Foot controls, making them closer?   Foot controls, making them closer? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 10:41 pm

I didn't think off the peg would be possible, but that someone may have done it.
Considering the numbers of people who are not happy with peg position it is surprising some one hasn't figured out how to provide adjustable pegs as standard for bikes. Cars have adjustable seats and steering wheels, why can't we have adjustable pegs? being able to adjust the riding position to allow for leg and arm lengths would be very handy for a lot of people.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Foot controls, making them closer?   Foot controls, making them closer? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 11:02 pm

There's always highway pegs for a change of position while riding, I agree with you though, Bikes should come with more adjustable features as standard, Especially when a model has been in production for a few years, It's down to cost at the end of day I suppose.

ps. Moving the pegs wouldn't be to much of a problem with a couple of brackets/plates, it would be the gear lever and brake pedal where the work would be involved.
Back to top Go down
coffeescoffer
coffeescoffer

PostSubject: Re: Foot controls, making them closer?   Foot controls, making them closer? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Agreed, but as I only have 6 months to go before I can stop growing up I'm going to go ride in the rain.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Foot controls, making them closer?   Foot controls, making them closer? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Might worth going to a local fabricator with the bike and tell them what you want, they would be able to cut and re-weld what you have already without very much expense me thinks. Only thing is then you would either need to have the offending item re-chromed or going for a cheaper option, get the spray can out and spray them black possibly?
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Re: Foot controls, making them closer?   Foot controls, making them closer? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 2:36 am

Actually I think it's probably much easier to move the controls back an inch than forward, in theory. The brake side sould be just fine. All you would need to do would be to shorten the brake cable itself if there's not enough adjustment. No need to fabricate any linkage. Now this is of course assuming that there is enough space between the brake cable mount and the controls themselves. Else you would need to simply cut the cable mount off and use a bracket of some type to keep the brake cable from flopping around.

In terms of the shifter, you could simple fabricate a shorter linkage the exact same way that I made my temporary linkage for my forward controls. All you need is some threaded bar, a hollow aluminum bar, 2 hex nuts, and 2 split washers. You could even polish up the aluminum tube very easily and make it nice and shiny or paint it. Easy peasy.

If you had a cutting wheel and some 1/4" thick steel you could easily make some brackets yourself to move the controls back.

P.S. How short are you that you need to move your controls back?! Foot controls, making them closer? 215375
Back to top Go down
coffeescoffer
coffeescoffer

PostSubject: Re: Foot controls, making them closer?   Foot controls, making them closer? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 10:38 pm

I don't actually HAVE to move the controls back, Moved back would mean I could stand on the pegs and then ride some of our not so well kept back roads. It was the sight of your linkage mod that made me think it might be possible, unfortunately I don't hav rthe means or ability to make stuff like that.
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Re: Foot controls, making them closer?   Foot controls, making them closer? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 2:47 am

coffeescoffer wrote:
I don't actually HAVE to move the controls back, Moved back would mean I could stand on the pegs and then ride some of our not so well kept back roads. It was the sight of your linkage mod that made me think it might be possible, unfortunately I don't hav rthe means or ability to make stuff like that.

Oh yeah you do. All i did was use a cutting wheel attachment for my dremel to make the cuts to the threaded bar and the tube. You could easily use a hacksaw with the exact same result. Then I just cleaned up the ends with a metal file. Easy peasy. The only tools you need are a saw, a tape measure, and a couple wrenches. To polish the tube you just used 1500 then 200 grit wet sand paper and then a metal polish. Done. For the brackets all you need is some steel, a method to cut the steel, and some paint. Very very simple. If you can measure and cut then you can do this project.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foot controls, making them closer?   Foot controls, making them closer? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Foot controls, making them closer?
Page 1 of 1