Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Replacement light, high intensity bulb?

Go down 
+2
bigmal
Jimmyboy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Replacement light, high intensity bulb? Empty
PostSubject: Replacement light, high intensity bulb?   Replacement light, high intensity bulb? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Just had a PM not sure why people PM me all the time to ask questions that should be placed on the site.

The PM asked "how to get a brighter light without paying out a fortune for a converter kit?"

This is not an area that I know much about but would say that a bulb is not just a bulb. You have to look into the amount of light given out by the particular bulb when researching. I did a quick search and found the Philips X-treme Vision H4 was highly rated for increased lighting as a fast replacement bulb.

Does anyone have a better insight into which bulb gives maximum light as a basic replacement?
Back to top Go down
Jimmyboy
Valued Member
Jimmyboy

PostSubject: Re: Replacement light, high intensity bulb?   Replacement light, high intensity bulb? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 12:06 am

100w bulb but its not road legal, other than that there are the ice white type but the higher the K rating the more blue it becomes.

Jim.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Replacement light, high intensity bulb?   Replacement light, high intensity bulb? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 11:38 pm

There was an article in MCN or Ride magazine or something, and they rated the Philips Extreme you mentioned Dave.

As a result, I fitted one to my M800, and I'm pleased with it. It's not that dazzling blue white you see on some cars, but I think it's noticeably better than the bog standard one.

Here's a great tip... They sell "bike specific" but you can bypass these... As far as I know they are no different to the car ones - except for being sold individually at an inflated price.

Instead I found a car website selling a pair for not much more than the single one! So me and a bloke at work with a Gixxer had one each Replacement light, high intensity bulb? 184121345

It's a while ago, so sorry, cant remember supplier I used. But here's some examples:

Single bike version at £12.52: 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-X-treme-12342XVBWH4-Motorcycle-Headlamp/dp/B006LEVQXY/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1386199991&sr=1-2&keywords=philips+x-treme+vision+h4+moto

Twin pack at £17.30:  
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-X-TREME-EXTREME-VISION-H4-HEADLIGHT-LOW-DIPPED-BEAM-BULBS-/331006459945

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Replacement light, high intensity bulb?   Replacement light, high intensity bulb? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 11:59 am

[url=6000K Motorcycle CAR Dual HI/LO BEAM HID Conversion Kit H4 BA20d Xenon Bulb/lamp]6000K Motorcycle CAR Dual HI/LO BEAM HID Conversion Kit H4 BA20d Xenon Bulb/lamp[/url] have just fitted this from ebay £17,there are loads of cheap hid conversions.so easy to fit.using your exsisting bulb holder use the three supplied wires,in my case green (common) to black/white, white (low beam) to white,blue(hight beam) to yellow.This takes approx 15 mins and when you go for your MOT just take the spaded end wires out and put your normal bulb back in for the Mot.I will take some pics later when the weather changes to show what I mean in the relevant section.In my view I find the  conversion excellant and safer.
Back to top Go down
CanadianCruiser
CanadianCruiser

PostSubject: Re: Replacement light, high intensity bulb?   Replacement light, high intensity bulb? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 11:58 pm

IDK.... over here HID kits aren't that pricy.... $35-40 USD for a Bi-xenon... I just went with a 55W though... Silverstar.. I drive a lot on back country roads and it lights up nicely....
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Replacement light, high intensity bulb?   Replacement light, high intensity bulb? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 8:46 am

I think for as I have been a night driver predominantly over the last couple of years the type of headlight must be 100% legal & not on the edges of legality. I have seen so many drivers that have blinding headlights and then responded by giving the everything available on my truck in response. It is great to have the brightest light that you can fit for your own benefit but never at the expense of oncoming vehicles. I will probably fit one of those replacement Philips X-treme Vision H4s as the research I have done means they are as good as any replacement bulb out there because. we must be aware that there is a lot of bulbs that claim to be a straight replacement and make all sorts of claims which are in essence no more than lies because they make false claims based on information that is no real benefit with the actual light intensity rating IGNORED or falsified.
Back to top Go down
CanadianCruiser
CanadianCruiser

PostSubject: Re: Replacement light, high intensity bulb?   Replacement light, high intensity bulb? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Here is the Sylvania chart... (don't know if you have them over there). These are fully legal...and amazing and not all the expensive...

I'm using the ultra in my bike & the High performance in my car.
Replacement light, high intensity bulb? Graphi10

Over here we can use HID's within the range of 3000-3500 (Fogs or offroad only) 4000-8000 (8000 is pushing it due to colour hue).  I agree with you Mr. Intruder.. nothing worse then driving along then being blinded from some ones lights... but this isn't due to them having HID's, it's because they didn't aim them right.

HID's burn differently then Halogens and as a result the light dispersment is different.  OEM housings have special reflectors to compensate this.  Now when you retro fit a halogen lamp with HID, sure you have a nice bright light but it's splattered.  To compensate for this it's important to re aim the headlamp using a special procedure (not the standard one for Halogens) using a headlamp aiming unit that measures the intensity of the beams focal point. 95% of the "Cool Kids" don't bother doing this. Hence why so many HID lights are blinding.

I love HID's but the only way I personally would retro fit to a HID would be to do it properly and swap the rear reflector also. Having a nice bright light is safe, but when it blinds the oncoming drivers, safety's lost in my opinion.

I've had the Sylvania's in my car now for 4 years (same bulbs) my wife is the primary and uses the car non-stop.  This longevity and brightness is what turned me onto them.  With only one lamp on the bike I decided to go the next step up.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Replacement light, high intensity bulb?   Replacement light, high intensity bulb? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Good advice Replacement light, high intensity bulb? 184121345
Back to top Go down
CanadianCruiser
CanadianCruiser

PostSubject: Re: Replacement light, high intensity bulb?   Replacement light, high intensity bulb? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 2:11 pm

No Problem.... about time I used some of my auto mechanical knowledge outside of work lol....

Cars come in to the shop all the time..  because they got tickets for improperly aimed lights/blinding oncoming.

Kids would argue that their lights are aimed because they didn't touch the adjustment screws.  Until we hook up the optical aimer and show them..BTW this is what we use at the shop...
 Replacement light, high intensity bulb? Aam82010
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Replacement light, high intensity bulb?   Replacement light, high intensity bulb? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Cheers for the advise guys,will look into it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacement light, high intensity bulb?   Replacement light, high intensity bulb? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacement light, high intensity bulb?
Page 1 of 1