Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Belt conversion Yay or nay?

Go down 
+5
alfie92
Dr.Bob
Mr Intruder
simbo
captain crash
9 posters
AuthorMessage
CanadianCruiser
CanadianCruiser

Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Empty
PostSubject: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:52 pm

So got a new chain when I bought my bike... replace front sprocket with 16T and when I was cleaning all the gunk I didn't like the look of the rear, so replacing that... then it dawned on me... this is something that I'll be doing at the minimum once per season... not to mention cleaning/lube products...

Prices are average...

Chain $130
Front $25
Rear $60
Misc cleaning/lube products brings it up to approx. $200 per season (planning on riding a lot) maybe every other season for the whole system replace...

Got a lead on a good price for a conversion to belt kit..

Suzuki Marauder VZ800 2nd Generation WideDrive w/chrome rear pulley, used, trade-in, refurbished w/new belt. Complete kit with instruction manual. 1 kit in stock. New = $579. $375.00
Belt conversion Yay or nay?  50810

How long does the belts normally last?  Maintenance? etc...

Looking for some input here... it's obvious that within a season or two it will pay for itself... and not having to clean will be nice (not too mention no messes on the dining room floor..hehehe)  The ratio of this system is 2.20:1, similar to a common sprocket setup for more relaxed highway cruising of a 18 tooth front and 40 tooth rear sprocket. What are some of the other pros?
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:02 pm

Gotta go to bed but will look back at this tomorrow with interest. I never new a belt conversion was possible from a chain.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:08 pm

Never had a bike with a belt but it sounds very interesting. I never really thought a bout conversions either but like the sound of it. Do they do them for all chained bikes?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:13 pm

Sounds good! I'd have thought you'd only have to change the belt every couple of seasons and not the whole system? I would have thought quieter and smoother running, minimal maintenance just tension, and a damn sight cleaner  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CanadianCruiser
CanadianCruiser

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Simbo... that's the pro's... average belt change from what I got from riders around here is 3-5 season's, sprockets (unless stones get stuck) are way longer... one guy told me that he's owned his bike for 9 years and never had to change a sprocket and did the belt once... he puts on an average of 5-10k km a year.....

Mr. Intruder -- it looks like they only have the kits for the marauders and Hyabusa's.... here's the LINKY
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:37 pm

Oh bugger, I was thinking of getting a conversion for my scrambler. Never mind.  Belt conversion Yay or nay?  474255
Back to top Go down
Dr.Bob
Prospect
Dr.Bob

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 2:02 pm

I am familiar with the Scootworks kit for the Marauder. When installed correctly, the belt should last 17-20,000 miles. Checking the tension is easy and should be done every now and again, but adjustments are rare. You will need to adjust the tension after the first 500-600 miles, and then whenever you remove the rear wheel for anything.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 2:31 pm

That's good to know, I am very interested in this sort of conversion. Nice thread.  Belt conversion Yay or nay?  3498837457
Back to top Go down
CanadianCruiser
CanadianCruiser

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 1:21 pm

Just doing a rough estimate on costs for Chain vs Belt, maintenance, etc... so far I'm leaning towards the belt.

I've spoken with a few others (MIG forum) that have done the conversion and everyone raves about it...
It is a bit pricey for a new kit but in my opinion it will pay for itself after 2 seasons...

I'll post some pics when I do the conversion...have to wait just got dumped on this past week Approx 30cm of show piled up
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 1:56 pm

That's excellent & will look forward to it.  Belt conversion Yay or nay?  3498837457
Back to top Go down
CanadianCruiser
CanadianCruiser

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 12:14 am

Well got the conversion done (had to do a bit of creative modding with a grinder) but it rides like a dream... went out on a 6 hour ride doing speeds between 100-140km/h & it was awesome... found myself staying in 4th gear most of the ride and going into 5th only when maintaining speed while cruising... And best of all no more sitting on a hornets nest.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 3:17 pm

Good for you m8,always rewarding when you do a mod and it works out,dont forget to elaborate on the creative modding for others to share.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 5:33 pm

Nice one CC  Belt conversion Yay or nay?  2170595768
Back to top Go down
CanadianCruiser
CanadianCruiser

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 10:04 pm

Alfie, Good point... what I had to grind down was the Spacer that goes on the output shaft... had to grind down just a smidge so that the pulley goes further on the output shaft and the belt isn't rubbing on the chrome casing or frame...

Forgot to snap some pics so later this week I have to do some minor work I'll upload some..
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 10:15 pm

Cheers for your reply.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 8:14 am

Always grrat to see pictures of a guys modification CC.  Belt conversion Yay or nay?  3498837457
Back to top Go down
CanadianCruiser
CanadianCruiser

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 11:13 pm

sorry haven't had time to post some pics yet.... (been doing a lot of riding) definitely one of the best mods to do...
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 8:40 am

That is great to know.  Belt conversion Yay or nay?  3498837457
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 8:34 pm

Had an original Sturgis quite a few years ago, the first belt drive Harley, never had any problems with it, was very quiet, no oil or grease and it was still running well after 20 years when I sold the bike, a good conversion CC  Belt conversion Yay or nay?  2170595768
Back to top Go down
CanadianCruiser
CanadianCruiser

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 8:57 pm

only thing that gets me is the slight squeaking... nothing a little dry bar of soap won't fix lol..
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 11:03 pm

thats great to read that all is well and your happy with the modification. Modifications like this take some conviction and always help others that consider that mod after reading threads like this. And I think your right the squeaky is nothing and easily sorted, after all we do lots of maintenance to our chain so the little bit that a belt requires is nothing. Also gives confidence when people like Doc Cox say they bought a bike with a belt on never needed to change it in 20 years
Back to top Go down
CanadianCruiser
CanadianCruiser

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 3:43 pm

Well, I have to say that the belt kit has definitely paid for itself.  On average with the Chain I was getting about 220Km (ish) per tank.  Now I'm getting 260Km (ish).  Loving this specially when Fuel is $1.40/L Here..
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 9:44 pm

Fuel is wear it's at but that's gearing not belt conversion, that's just a part of the conversion that can be done either way. All the same the mod in totality is a great mod from all angles when you look at it, personally if I was running a chained bike I would now look at do the mod as well.  Belt conversion Yay or nay?  3498837457
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 11:17 pm

Don't you just love a mod that not only improves the ride, but also pays for itself in the long run  Belt conversion Yay or nay?  2170595768
Back to top Go down
CanadianCruiser
CanadianCruiser

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 2:01 am

Next bike I get I'm going to try to get shaft... there is a beaut C50 going for $8000 at my local dealership...  "Upgrade" lol... wife would kill me..

Belt conversion Yay or nay?  C5020b10
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 4:32 pm

Love the look of the all black C but I am worried about the worth of the pipes. Clive (Oiler) has one and he has had a warrantee issue with the black pipes.

Oiler wrote:
However, as Suzuki seem to have saved money by painting the black pipes rather than powder-coating, large chunks of paint have fallen off the lower pipe at the rear, and worn off at the front.

As long as they replace any such items that are not up to a descent standard then all's good.
Back to top Go down
Truckerjer
Prospect
Truckerjer

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2021 6:59 pm

CanadianCruiser wrote:
Well, I have to say that the belt kit has definitely paid for itself.  On average with the Chain I was getting about 220Km (ish) per tank.  Now I'm getting 260Km (ish).  Loving this specially when Fuel is $1.40/L Here..
May I ask where you got your kit?  I have a 1997 vz800 and seriously looking for a kit. Any help would be awesome. Thx
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2021 5:52 pm

He hasn't been on for around six years.   You can try a pm, but I don't think you will get a reply.
Back to top Go down
Truckerjer
Prospect
Truckerjer

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2021 5:56 pm

Oh ok. Well that's too bad. Where are you from?
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2021 9:40 am

Trefforest, South Wales.   UK.

Truckerjer likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belt conversion Yay or nay?    Belt conversion Yay or nay?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Belt conversion Yay or nay?
Page 1 of 1