Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Number plate

Go down 
+11
oldtom
petetesch
alfie92
katsd
OldManYam
Rick9000
simbo
captain crash
stingray
Mr Intruder
TwinDad
15 posters
AuthorMessage
TwinDad
TwinDad

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 6:13 am

Thinking of putting a small number plate on the rear, what is the best, 9x2 or 9x3?
Also anyone used A1Show plates?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 9:08 am

I went 7'x5' if memory serves me right. I have used the people ( MY SHOWPLATES ) many time over the years. They are quick and I am always happy with the results.

Number plate IMG_0814
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 9:54 am

Had a 9"x2" plate on my R1, I got nicked 2nd time out :aghh:
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 9:59 am

I think 9'x2' is a Police magnet, I know some people seem to get away with it but why take that much of a chance. 7'x5' is smaller than the bloody big wind sail that is standard but its not a copper magnet and looks exceptable in size, mine doesn't even need to get changed for MOTs. I was chatting to a copper one day and he said mine was fine as the lettering was clearly visible and they & the machines will not have a problem reading it.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 4:30 pm

2' inch plates draw attention
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Number plate 2215087486 We all push the boundaries a little but 9' x 2' or 3' is rubbing their nose in it  police ,  Number plate 428386  on my showplates, good quality and service.
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 6:32 pm

I could read it ok (from about 3"s away) hyst  hyst
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 6:51 pm

I find 7' x 5.5' is a good size, I've also got a bit of a fancy font which is superb for speed camera's, I think I'll be getting a ticket sooner than later  Laughing 
Number plate IMAG1134_BURST002_zpsd20a7e4f
Back to top Go down
TwinDad
TwinDad

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks Guys, really aware of being a fuzz magnet! Thought 2 or 3 may be an advert " come get me".
Guess I'll go for 7x5 don't want to rub anyone up the wrong way so soon!
Thanks again, will post when I have it
G
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 7:52 pm

Good on you George, wise decision. 7x5 will give you a reasonable look at the back rather than the bloody silly size of the stock one and will be enough for you to be left alone.  Number plate 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Rick9000
Rick9000

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 5:48 pm

I agree with Dave the 7" x 5" is a good compromise.  I too have this size and have never had any issues with the law. The size of the lettering is almost the legal size but it takes up more of the plate which looks so much better. At my last MOT no mention was made about the plate at all.
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 8:30 pm

That sounds like 'common sense' prevails .... if it looks 'about right' (Like a 7" x 5" does) then you are unlikely to incur Mr Plod's displeasure ...... but the 9" x 2"or3" plate looks so skinny it is rather asking for it ! 

I like how Sim's plate is tucked away neatly under the nearside pannier/saddle bag ... that looks like your concerns of getting a 'tug' are materialising ..... but I suppose it is how long will it take for you to be 'seen' by a traffic officer as there are not that many about - & the regular plod would probably not notice, or couldn't be bothered as they have another 'target' to follow.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Probably a bit late after the fact on this one but I'll chuck my bit in anyway.  I have occasions when I need to work with several forces RPUs (Road Policing Unit) & I tend to ask their opinion if there's something I'm not sure about - it's OK to push your luck a little, but there's no point bringing trouble down on yourself. 

I asked their advice when I wanted to fit the side-mount as I could find no clear wording on it.  I also asked about sizing.  Please don't take this as gospel, as it's a subjective point of view & is dependant on the copper on the day.  The average traffic cop isn't particularly bothered about a slightly smaller plate, as long as it's legible - 7 x 5 is a good size, I run a 7.5 x 6.5 as it looked right on the bike.  

Number plate <a href=Number plate DSC07942_zpsd6dd4b9d" />

However, mess around with the font, fit it at an angle or go too small & you're asking for it.  I'm assuming that the 9 x 2 or 9 x 3 would be a single line plate - that's a definite no no & is a real plod magnet.  Few years ago I was riding with a mate who was sporting a single line plate & we got pulled just outside of Skegness.  I felt pretty confident as my plate had the correct size characters, but was cut around the border.  So I made the mistake of getting a bit lippy - got nicked not only for the plate size, an alteration of the style of lettering (made the "7" look like a "1") but also because it "bore a background image" - a picture of Tigger !!.  What was also pointed out to me was that as I has a personal plate on the bike, if I got nicked three times for plate offences I could have the authorisation to display the plate removed.  What I didn't know at the time is that if you have a private plate, you don't actually own the number - all you have is the right to display that registration, which can be removed by the DLA at any time - something to bear in mind if you've spent a few hundred on a decent number.

At the end of the day, the average traffic cop has more important things to do than nick bikers.  And cruisers by nature, tend to attract less attention than the full racing leather boys on race-reps.  But I was told by my police motorcycle instructor back in the early eighties when I was learning to ride that any traffic cop worth his salt, would be able to find at least five things wrong with any bike, whether it it be the position of your tax disc holder, the size of your reflector or the slack in your chain.
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 5:55 pm

Number plate 2215087486 Wise words from Dave R .....  Number plate 996187811  Number plate 428386
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 9:15 pm

Number plate 2215087486 your plate looks about right Dave R,and not a blatant plod puller.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Good info Dave  Number plate 3498837457 You have a nice 'rear end' by the way  Laughing
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 9:37 pm

simbo wrote:
Good info Dave  Number plate 3498837457 You have a nice 'rear end' by the way  Laughing

I bet you say to all the boys !!!
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 4:48 pm

That looks really good  Number plate 184121345
Back to top Go down
TwinDad
TwinDad

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 3:58 am

Thanks Dave wise words always taken on board
G
Back to top Go down
TwinDad
TwinDad

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 3:38 pm

Thanks for all the support and advice finally got plate from A1 plates. Know all said don't muck with font but couldn't help myself..

Number plate B7b71194cf1521b240df02f9811bad80_zps36040a60
 Thanks G
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 4:45 pm

That looks cool!  Number plate 3498837457
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 6:06 pm

The font isn't too radical & the characters are a good sizd as is the plate - can't see you having any problems on the road. May be worth putting your old one on for the MOT - depends how friendly your tester is. Looks good!!
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Like the Flanders script  Number plate 3498837457 .... maybe that may promote leniency from the Plod ... if they know where Flanders is ... or the significance !
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 8:06 pm

You would need a real jobs worth to have a problem with that plate.  Number plate 3498837457 
Back to top Go down
TwinDad
TwinDad

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 11:45 pm

Old man yam, thought it all went quite well, long term looking for a paint job to go with it, long long term!
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2014 12:33 am

Flat black - white pin striping . Understated !!
Back to top Go down
petetesch
petetesch

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 11:30 am

My 7x5 plate has just arrived. "Bugger" it looks small up to the original. It should look better.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 4:30 pm

Good on ya Peter, that will look so much better than that bloody great big thing on there at the moment  Number plate 184121345
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Nice one Pete. Number plate 3498837457
Back to top Go down
petetesch
petetesch

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 5:50 pm

Number plate now fitted. Looks much better, it no longer overpowers her rear end.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 6:55 pm

Thats good to read the standard one is like a sail at least the one you have is not a cop magnet and the arse end flows so much better
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 7:12 pm

Nice job Pete, So much better looking than the standard size  Number plate 3498837457
Back to top Go down
oldtom
oldtom

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 5:45 pm

oldtom says beware boys and girls. UK police are targeting number plates that do not conform to the standard for size, design, and font. This is all down to NPR cameras that now police Road tax, MOT and insurance. Now that "tax discs" will not need to be displayed from 1st October. 
Recent police visit to a Sunday morning bike haunt netted 30 non conforming plates. They just sat there and waited to offenders to roll in.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks for the info Tom, Number plate 3498837457  should be interesting to see what sort of crackdown they have.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 9:20 pm

Maybe they will get a bit supid and go after everything that doesnt conform but that will be in a specific area not all over the country. The local plod seem to say as long as the writing isnt to small or distorted by unusual writing then they aint to fussed. They seem to say that if aint to small or unclear then their computers can read it. The problems seem to get exaggerated by the dicks on the sport bikes with tiny reg plates bringing unwanted attention to everyone
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 11:20 pm

Unfortunately ..... It only takes one plod to piss on your parade ! police piss

.... & in these days of 'numbers driven enforcement' to mask the under-resourcing of the Police force, the periodic hammering of 'soft targets' is an easy way for them to 'balance the books' .... sad fact of life in all branches of public service.

Rant over ! Number plate 2177615630
Back to top Go down
azcam
Valued Member
azcam

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 2:33 am

7x5 plate arrived today.  Wow didn't realise it was that small.
Had to replace it anyway,  as the wind sail I got from
Halfords fell of. I used them bloody M3 sticky brackets
So I wouldn't have to drill the plate. Load of shite. Well they
Were for me. Glad it did fall of though or I wouldn't of got a new one. Good shout Dave on the show plates. Nice job.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 8:04 am

I've had loud pipes but not bigger plate. When the cops stop you like they did me a few weeks ago it's often rider related. Of course if they want to make something stick a visual advert is a gift for them. Just in case my riding gets out of hand Number plate 56357 I'll stick with my barn doors for the moment but your small plates do look nice guys Number plate 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Skidalot
Very Valued VIP Member
Skidalot

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 9:10 am

They had a bit of a purge on number plates and helmet visors back in the summer up around the Brecon area, I remember being warned about it at the time. It seems it was just a one day; one off thing though and bad luck if you were out that day. Number plate 437349
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 9:32 am

You are probably OK on a cruiser but it's the sports bikes tend to cop it - any excuse!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 5:24 pm

Bluesman wrote:
You are probably OK on a cruiser but it's the sports bikes tend to cop it - any excuse!

Bloody Hooligans they are! Flying around on their crotch rockets with tiny reg plates bent at an angle so no one can see them.  Number plate 852880

I'm glad this thread has surfaced again? I'll order a new plate from the link above  Number plate 3322349030 a nice little 4"x3" with a fancy font  glasses
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 8:15 pm

Glad you used showplates, there work is always good. As long as the plate has descent writing on it you will be fine, its only the silly small plates and fancy writing ones that I find have an issue. Number plate 3498837457
Back to top Go down
azcam
Valued Member
azcam

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 11:06 pm

I used the Bikers text, which is more or less the same as standard, so i hope i shouldnt have any probs.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2014 8:26 am

That what I have always used. Number plate 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2014 9:54 pm

I don,t think the font on the plate should upset anyone as it is still very legible, Sim, I get the feeling that your bike is looking at us, very impressive,  :shock: sssmily :shock:
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2014 11:06 pm

Doc Cox wrote:
I don,t think the font on the plate should upset anyone as it is still very legible, Sim, I get the feeling that your bike is looking at us, very impressive,  :shock: sssmily :shock:

Ordered a 7x5 with 'Bikers Text' yesterday  Number plate 4231872003  , I must be getting old!  Number plate 855947  , Where's my  Number plate 1249461214 Attitude going?  Number plate 143088812
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Good one Sim. Number plate 3498837457
Your Number plate 3411405479  attitude went missing with you last few birthday presents. hyst
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Number plate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number plate   Number plate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Number plate
Page 1 of 1