Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.

Go down 
+6
kardax
Bluesman
alfie92
simbo
captain crash
Andy1969
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Empty
PostSubject: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi guys

I have got an Intruder m800 with a stock seat, after about 100 miles i get a pain in my tailbone (coccyx), have any of you guys had this issue if so how did you solve it, I will get a new seat or have mine modified if it will solve this issue, just keen to know what you guys have done.  I dont really want stick one of those airbag things on their seat, look forward to your replies

Andy
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 8:20 pm

cheapest and easiest thing to do is to take the staples out and pull the cover off. put an extra bit of foam in and re-staple it. Other guys have bought gel implants and put them in under the seat after a bit of foam has been removed
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 8:33 pm

Stop after 90 Miles and give your bum a break  Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. 3498837457  Laughing  as above though, a better quality foam layer helps or Ewe could try a Sheepskin cover.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Hi Andy if you feel confident strip the seat down,you will find were the seat connects to the rear there is a ridge of plastic there which is causing you problems,you can cut this out and make a new fastening for the seat,which in turn will take the pain away,will take a photo tomoz for you,so you can see what I mean.Failing that the likes of Tony Archer Huddersfield is you best bet,but be aware he is busy and may take a week or so,he does do mail order, but explain to him exactly what you require as like he says " I am not a mind reader" his work is very good.Other people may know of seat upholsters closer to you.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 10:39 pm

I've never had one but I understand that a rider seat back can take the strain. Not sure whether it eases the bum pain, which I got with the stock seat too, but anyone on here who has fitted a backrest might be able to help. I pushed my bars forward on the C800 and in leaning forward a bit it relieved the tailbone pressure. Probably as stated above a new seat is more likely the proper solution. 
 If it's any consolation Andy, my bicycle seat is worse! Laughing
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 11:02 pm

Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. <a href=Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. DSCN0090" />This is what it will look like when you cut the ridge out and plate it over,this is a simple way to do it, then cover it back up,either with your original foam or make the seat to suit you.Hope this helps a bit,as you can see by the staple holes,I tried all different ways to make my seat more comfortable,it is not a very neat job done by me,but it worked and can not be seen.
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

PostSubject: Re: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 11:27 am

Excellent write up Alfie thanks ever so much, I will have a go this week Andy
Back to top Go down
kardax
kardax

PostSubject: Re: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 7:23 am

Yes,
I had the same problem. I was able to sit maximum one hour on the stock seat, before I just had to stop and walk around. Was not much fun at all. It comes down to the really stupid "lump" in the seatpan, weight of the driver and the tailbone section of the body. To some people, like me, these three things just did not match correctly, and the seat was giving me royal pain in the a*se.

This did not happen right away, it took me about one year for the foam to give in, and getting squished while sitting on it. Then slowly there was some growing pain on every trip, until it got really bad.

There was a lot of different modifications done along with the pictures in the forum called "M50 secret hideaway", I studied, and I was also about to make the modification like alfie described here. But after I heard the praise about Mustang seats I ended up buying one, and since then I have not had to think about my behind at all.
Back to top Go down
djrose007
Prospect
djrose007

PostSubject: Re: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 10:33 pm

Coming in a bit late to this but I had the same problem with a Shadow. Seat is pretty much identical and I did some long rides. Found the solution when I purchased an 'Airhawk Comfort Seat'. really works and the secret is not to put too much air into it. You might need to experiment but  I put less than half the air capacity, probably less. The seat is full of pockets which allow free movement of the air so your bum muscles are constantly moving.
Not cheap but it does work.
I cannot post a link yet but if you search on ebay, or generally, for 'Airhawk comfort seat' you should find it.
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2019 4:20 pm

I bought an saddle man explorer seat makes all the diff.before that I bought a riders backrest which helped a lot  those stock seats i found very hard not comfortable at all after a few miles.
Back to top Go down
djrose007
Prospect
djrose007

PostSubject: Re: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2019 11:17 pm

ardie wrote:
I bought an saddle man explorer seat makes all the diff.before that I bought a riders backrest which helped a lot  those stock seats i found very hard not comfortable at all after a few miles.

I have found the CTX1300 seat comfortable for the 200 miles the tank takes me but the next 200 miles I start to feel it so on long runs I still use the Airhawk comfort seat.
I'm testing the VL800C4 tomorrow, I'll take it for a good run and see how she feels.
Cheers
Dave
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2019 9:54 am

As for the mileage to a tank most i got was 190 that has come down to 170 or so only thing I can think of is that I changed to Dunlop tyres around the same time e as I noticed the drop in mpg.i do have a pillion on most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Takkyu

PostSubject: Re: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks for the tips Dave and Ardie.  Haven't had any problems with my stock seat, yet.  Will keep these in mind for the future.
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 6:54 pm

Might be a better seat on a 2013 m50
Back to top Go down
bob gibson
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 6:39 pm

I use half water/air seat, used to " seat" hurt the back spine on a  dip in the roads,  maybe I should what the spring was adjusted!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.   Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tailbone pain after 100 miles on stock seat.
Page 1 of 1