Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another Virago based project.

Go down 
+7
Ken1964
alfie92
Doc Cox
Mr Intruder
simbo
fat intruder
DocSjulle
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

Another Virago based project. Empty
PostSubject: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 12:35 am

Inspired by the other great projects here, and the coincidence that a friend had an old tired XV750 84`Virago in his shed, I decided to take it of his hands and do something fun with it.

I think we both got a good deal, I got the old bike, and I ordered him some nice new Highway Hawk forward controls with matching passenger pegs, and a Highway Hawk chrome radiator cover, and the promise to help him install them.

This is where it had been stored for a few years.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_121

We pumped some air in the tires, and I bought a new battery, but it would not fire.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_118

Meaning it had to come home on the trailer.

Here it is back home.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_119

And in its new home, a nice and dry heated garage.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_120

I pulled the airfilter, checked that it had a good spark, and did a compression test.

It showed a very good spark on both plugs, and 130-135psi on the compression test.

Then I recharged the battery and tried to start it again with the fuel petcock in position prime.
It actually came to life even with old gasoline in the tank Another Virago based project. 1218875559, and I could go for a small ride.
But it started to cough pretty bad, and I was glad I was only about 500-700m away from home.

When I got home I researched a bit, and after reading about the common leaking petcock, I took the tank off.
Here I found a good amount of rust flakes, but the petcock cleaned up nicely after a good rinse and greasing.

Before putting the tank back on, I'm gonna try and remove the rust inside.

I also drained the oil as it smelled like gasoline, and will be cleaning the carbs too.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 12:40 am

once you cleen the tank of rust you can get some stuff that you put in the tank that cotes the inside and will stop any further rust in the tank. 1984 was that the first year in witch these bikes came out?
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 12:45 am

I have read both pros and cons of the different tank liners, and I think I'll clean it as good as possible and just fill it up with gas.

I think the Viragos started in 1981, and this it the 2nd generation style.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 12:57 am

yeh 1981 was start till 1983 but it was a different shape I think that is the first year for that shape from 1981 they where called xv 750 special and I think virago in the states. could be wrong though lol.
anyway good luck on your new project virago is a great base to start with and there quite quick not sure about the 750cc but 1100cc are meant to handle better with higher risers and strait bars.
soooooo come on then spill the beans what have you got planned for it?
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 7:25 am

I originally wanted to build a cafe racer, but I think the frame and tank of the 81-83` makes a better platform for this.

The new style looks more like a chopper/bobber with the higher tank and dual rear shocks, so I don't know yet.

But one thing is for sure, the gold wheels have to go, and I have thought about making the tank and wheels in bare metal.
But not sure how to rust protect it, as clear coat will just make the rust start underneath.

Another idea is a dark gray paint all over, with a brown bobber style leather seat, and a small mudguard on the rear arm.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 8:21 am

An interesting project there Kim  oyili
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 8:41 am

I will enjoy watching another Virgo project, I stopped at stripping the whole frame on mine but as the winter is now here I will start work again very shortly. Looks like you have a great base to start with & what a great bike to modify, they are truly screaming for it. You got one hell of a deal there, one mans scrap is another mans treasure. Another Virago based project. 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi Kim, lucky devil, Twisted Evil  I know who got the best of the deal there  Another Virago based project. 696333 I look forward to the rebuild, don,t forget  Rolling Eyes plenty of photos please, and as Dave would say " Crack On "  Another Virago based project. 643587 :ballchain: regards Doc Cox
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 8:42 pm

I started to clean the rust from the tank, by dumping 500 drywall screw in it and shaking it like crazy.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_59

It removed a good bit of gunk, and I think I'll try the electrolysis method to remove the last rust.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_60
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 8:49 pm

Bloody hell I would never of thought you would ogf got that much shite out.

As for electrolysis here is a step by step from ( - Instructables - ) for anyone interested.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 8:53 pm

Another Virago based project. 996187811 Very interesting read!  Another Virago based project. 3498837457
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
Bloody hell I would never of thought you would ogf got that much shite out.

As for electrolysis here is a step by step from ( - Instructables - ) for anyone interested.

Thx for the link, it almost looks too easy Another Virago based project. 433968
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm

That's why we're here. Instructables has a wealth of information on a wealth of things, Doc Cox gave me the link. Another Virago based project. 3498837457
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 11:47 am

Cheers Dave interesting video.
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 2:08 pm

The tank is now doing the rust removal electrolysis.

I made some small plates with matching rubber gaskets, to seal up the holes from the petcock and the fuel level indicator.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_61

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_62

And connected a ground wire to one of the screws.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_65

Then I made a bended piece of steel mounted in a piece of wood, and insulated the end to prevent accidental shorts.
This will be used as the sacrificial anode.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_66

Mixed up a bucket of 15 liter water and 15 table spoons of soda.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_64

And then let it cook.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_69

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_70

After a couple of hours, it was covered in nasty gunk, and the current had gone way down, so I cleaned the anode.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_71

I'll check on it now and then and wiggle the anode to keep the current going.
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 2:14 pm

I also removed the carburators, and had to remove the intake boots in the process.

The intake boots are not in a very good condition, as the rubber is starting to crack, and one of the o-rings are torn apart.

I can replace the o-rings, but the rubber really looks like it should be replaced.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_72

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_73
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Your a man with a mission, great to see. Another Virago based project. 3498837457
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 4:48 pm

Plenty to keep you busy there Kim  Another Virago based project. 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 7:07 pm

This is looking to be an interesting project bike already.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 7:31 pm

Excellent work Kim, the electrolysis definitely seems to do the trick, will you be getting the carbs cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner these are very effective, will be getting one for my workshop in the near future,  Another Virago based project. 2170595768
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Doc Cox wrote:
Excellent work Kim, the electrolysis definitely seems to do the trick, will you be getting the carbs cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner these are very effective, will be getting one for my workshop in the near future,  Another Virago based project. 2170595768
That's good then Doc, saves me having to get one for mine. hyst
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 9:52 pm

Doc Cox wrote:

I have seen them for jewelry, but never considered they could be used for mens stuff too Another Virago based project. 256401

Might be worth investing in one, as they seem pretty cheap.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 6:49 pm

Our local custom bike shop has one and swears by it, these machines can be used to clean all sorts of equipment, Mrs doc Cox has one for small items but unfortunately I can,t get the carb assemblies in it  Another Virago based project. 3213823784
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 1:00 pm

I decided that two days was enough and stopped the electrolysis process today.

The anode has sucked up a lot of rust.
Another Virago based project. IMAGE_126

And the water is very dirty.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_127

Look how much gunk was left in the bucket even after pouring most of it out with the water.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_128

After rinsing with clean water a couple of times, I rinsed one time with a bit a soap.
When the soap was cleaned out, I made a strong solution of 2 liters boiling water and a good amount of citric acid..
Now the tank look squeaky cleen.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_129

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_130

Now it sits in the garage drying out, with a hot air gun through the filler hole.
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Excellent job done Sir.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 6:54 pm

Good job Kim, if you do decide to use a tank sealer Slosh tank is good, I have used it before with good results, it also comes with an etching fluid,  lgd
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Bloody good job Kim!  Another Virago based project. 2170595768 I wonder how much crud there would have been in the bucket if you'd let it settle a couple of days?
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 3:01 pm

loooks good now Kim & ready for sealing!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 5:08 pm

Good man, good job done. Another Virago based project. 3498837457
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 10:38 pm

Doc Cox wrote:
Our local custom bike shop has one and swears by it, these machines can be used to clean all sorts of equipment, Mrs doc Cox has one for small items but unfortunately I can,t get the carb assemblies in it  Another Virago based project. 3213823784
I got a new toy today, and I blame you for it Another Virago based project. 50610

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_74

I couldn´t help it and bought a small ultrasonic cleaner to try it out. I put the bowl, floater, valve and screws in warm water with a bit of dish washing soap, and ran it for 2 times 480 sec.

I didn´t think it did much more than removing the dirt from the small cracks, but when I poured out the water it was really dirty, and after looking closer at the parts they were nice and clean.
This is a small machine with only 750ml of water, and I´m already thinking about the bigger 2,5l one Another Virago based project. 2343124779
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 8:56 am

I love reading your thread Kim as you really don't hang about with anything, you just do it. Another Virago based project. 3322349030
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 am

No problem Kim, I will take the full blame/accolade for you purchasing the sonic cleaner, glad it did a good job  Another Virago based project. 256401 PS. I have broad shoulders, but, they are Teflon coated and all the blame normally slips straight off  Another Virago based project. 2740622253
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 9:17 am

That sounds about right. Another Virago based project. 2740622253
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 12:56 pm

DocSjulle wrote:
Doc Cox wrote:
I got a new toy today, and I blame you for it Another Virago based project. 50610

I couldn´t help it and bought a small ultrasonic cleaner to try it out. I put the bowl, floater, valve and screws in warm water with a bit of dish washing soap, and ran it for 2 times 480 sec.

I didn´t think it did much more than removing the dirt from the small cracks, but when I poured out the water it was really dirty, and after looking closer at the parts they were nice and clean.
This is a small machine with only 750ml of water, and I´m already thinking about the bigger 2,5l one Another Virago based project. 2343124779

When you get the larger one we will form a orderly queue outside your house Another Virago based project. 2740622253
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 4:19 pm

v-twin wrote:

When you get the larger one we will form a orderly queue outside your house Another Virago based project. 2740622253

You´re are welcome if you ever get to Denmark, and I´ll even throw in some beers Another Virago based project. 256401
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 4:35 pm

Sod the carbs, bring on the beer:D
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 4:39 pm

I started sanding the tank down yesterday, but didn´t get very far, as my wife brought home the car with a cracked front fender/spoiler Another Virago based project. 122716118 Another Virago based project. 594857

Apparently she had forgot that the car is lowered when she parked in front of a kerb, and actually scraped the fender up on to the kerb, causing it to nearly tore apart when she reversed again.

So the afternoon went with patching the fender with glue and small plates riveted over the cracks.

Today I got much more done on the tank. 

I sanded down as much as I could and sandblasted the hard to reach areas. I´m not finished with the underside as it was getting dark, and my temporary sandblasting station consist of a box and some plastic bags to capture most of the sand.

Another Virago based project. DeaKnPMreGX6Klb0jcdj37gR7HZHZ4bSA7ozT65xt7I=w867-h650-no

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_76

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_77

I think I have to build a real sandblasting station, as it is a great tool and I´m sure it will be used Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Very good work done Sir.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Bloody hell Kim! is there anything you can't do? lol  Another Virago based project. 2170595768
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 6:40 pm

Coming along nicely Kim  Another Virago based project. 276246 having a sandblaster is helpfull, mine has a pot on the bottom that you fill with blasting medium, Has the rear tank mount been brazed on, looks like it, :shock:
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2014 6:51 pm

Good on you Kim, doing great mate.
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 5:01 pm

Doc Cox wrote:
Coming along nicely Kim  Another Virago based project. 276246 having a sandblaster is helpfull, mine has a pot on the bottom that you fill with blasting medium, Has the rear tank mount been brazed on, looks like it, :shock:

Yes, all the mounts are brazed on, maybe it´s to keep the heat down to not deform the tank, or something, just thinking out loud here :what1:
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 5:13 pm

I finished the sandblasting and after a wash and dry, I filled the dents with polyester filler, sanded it smooth, wiped everything with thinner, and masked the holes.
Now it´s ready for paint.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_78

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_79

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_80

Then I sprayed it with the first coat of epoxy primer.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_81

There are a few small errors at the top and at the filler cap, where the paint would run, but it doesn´t matter as it will be wet sanded before the next coat.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_82
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 5:15 pm

My plan for the paint scheme is a medium dark gray, with two layers of old school flames, yellow and red.

Maybe like this with a gray background:

Another Virago based project. Double_flame_bullet
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 6:23 pm

Looks a nice job Kim, Keep up the good work  lgd
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 11:31 pm

nice idea for the paint should look really nice Another Virago based project. 3498837457
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 4:53 pm

Today I wet sanding the tank, and thought that it would save some time if I could prime the fender at same time as the tank. 

So I took the front fender off the bike and washed it, then sanded down the rust spots, the chrome, and the loose rust on the inside. Applied two coats of rust converter, and painted it with epoxy primer together with the second coat on the tank.

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_83

Another Virago based project. IMAGE_84
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 5:28 pm

What a great job you are doing and at an almost unbelievable speed as well.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 5:33 pm

Ken1964 wrote:
What a great job you are doing and at an almost unbelievable speed as well.

Another Virago based project. 428386 Another Virago based project. 2215087486
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Keep this up Kim & you'll have it done before the end of the month!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Virago based project.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next