Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chain Lube

Go down 
+8
Mr Intruder
yorky
simbo
peardrop3
Ken1964
Two-Bears
rossmofo
hmac
12 posters
AuthorMessage
hmac
hmac

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 11:51 pm

Having been riding shaft drive Beemers for the past few years I am now having to choose a chain lube for my VZ800. I cant remember which brand I used in the past, what are you guys using.
Back to top Go down
rossmofo
rossmofo

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 12:14 am

Oh dear this has the potential to get really silly....but before I got shafted I used Wurth dry lube on my chains, no mess and worked really well compared to sticky oil formulas ...
Back to top Go down
hmac
hmac

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 12:26 am

Sorry to be the one to ask Ross, I can just see the longer serving members of the forum pulling their hair and screaming "Aaaaaaaaaaaagh, not chain lube again" Happens all the time on ukgser forum with engine oil.
Back to top Go down
Two-Bears
* VZ Guru *
Two-Bears

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 2:33 am

Hello Harry,
I put Scottoiler on the VZ`s ( and other chained bikes for that matter ) taking time to sett them up properly pays dividends plus I often use 20w-50 engine oil,, It`s cheap and I don't get much splash and mess at all.
When I do use chain lube it is usually PJ1 BLUE LABEL.
Hope this is of some help mate.
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 4:04 pm

I always used Motul, not for any other reason than it was recommended by a friend.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 4:13 pm

I used to use Silkolene's chain lube but I use a Tuturo chain oiler now & fill it with spare engine oil I have lying around.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 4:43 pm

Wurth Motorcycle Chain Wax because it was cheap on eBay, seems ok, flings off a bit but nothing serious, no worse than the non fling stuff that cost a lot more, keep it clean and lube it regularly and any make is fine.
Back to top Go down
yorky
VIP Member
yorky

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 6:17 pm

simbo wrote:
Wurth Motorcycle Chain Wax because it was cheap on eBay, seems ok, flings off a bit but nothing serious, no worse than the non fling stuff that cost a lot more, keep it clean and lube it regularly and any make is fine.

When we were kids my mother, who did all the fixing round our house  (Me dad couldn't get the lid off a tin of paint bless him (cunning or what ).. well mam always recommended best butter for a bike chain.
She operated the overhead crane at the local concrete factory during the war ( second ) and the local removal man in those days said he would give her a job moving furniture anyday...they dont make em like her anymore.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 7:28 pm

yorky wrote:

well mam always recommended best butter for a bike chain.

Not 'Salted' I hope?, I wouldn't want a rusty chain   sssmily
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 7:43 pm

I like Silkolene anything, so if I was still running a chain on a street bike it could be theirs for me. Although I am partial to anything like lubes done by Honda as well.
Back to top Go down
hmac
hmac

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 9:47 pm

Cheers guys, so I'm guessing any of the recognised brands will do and engine oil is better than nothing. Haven't had time to go to a bike shop yet, but managed to pick up some Wynns chain lube in The Range. We have just had a good couple of inches of snow this evening so both bikes will be staying tucked up in the garage.
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 9:54 pm

As 'Two-Bears' says, a Scott-oiler is a great way to look after any chain driven bike. I have had them on all the chain driven bikes I've owned since 1990 & it is easier than lubing a chainfrom a stand.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 10:01 pm

I would agree with scotoiler,when set up, well worth the money.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 10:56 pm

I use Silkolene on my two but others probably work as well. Parked next to an old guy yesterday (well, older than me anyway!) and he got out a can of engine oil and a brush and gave it a spruce up there and then. Sensible chap to do it when the chain is warm. 
Don't care how it's done but it pains me to see a chain all neglected and rusty.  
There should be penalty points for that  police
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 9:39 pm

Chain Lube  276246 Chain Lube  2215087486  John
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 9:11 am

Another vote for the Scot-Oiler - massively increased the chain life on my Katana & also found it needed adjusting less.  Cleaner than lube, all you have to do is remember to top it up
Back to top Go down
rossmofo
rossmofo

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 9:33 am

I hated my scottoilers, even set up properly I always felt they put too much oil on..until I stopped using their oil and used chainsaw oil (b&q) then they were better..
I also fitted "lubeman " oil system to a couple of winter hacks and again used blue chainsaw oil, very cheap but effective system ...
For lack of mess you can't beat Wurth ceramic dry lube, if applied right zero tyre mess ..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chain Lube  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chain Lube    Chain Lube  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chain Lube
Page 1 of 1