Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.

Go down 
+5
Ken1964
hawktheslayer
hmac
v-twin
Mr Intruder
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Empty
PostSubject: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 8:39 pm

Are there any recommendations for a direct fit, bright bulbs? Not stuff with extras, but direct fitment, but much brighter than stock headlights?
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 9:14 pm

I fitted one of these in my VX and it made a big difference over the standard lamp:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/bulbs-wiper-blades-batteries/bulbs/bosch-car-headlamp-bulb-plus-90-472-h4-x-1

The also do an even brighter one:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/bulbs-wiper-blades-batteries/bulbs/bosch-car-headlamp-bulb-gigalight-plus-120-472-h4-x-1

You will of course be able to get them cheaper but I tend to stick with branded ones as the cheap ones do not last long.
Back to top Go down
hmac
hmac

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 10:39 pm

Try these Phillips X-Treme Vision +130%  £14.20 for a pair. I have been running a Phillips plus 90% in my Beemer for the last 20,000 miles.

Think it might be time to treat both my bikes to one of these.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 10:49 pm

hmac wrote:
Try these Phillips X-Treme Vision +130%  £14.20 for a pair. I have been running a Phillips plus 90% in my Beemer for the last 20,000 miles.

Think it might be time to treat both my bikes to one of these.
Bosch, Phillips and Osram all do ultra bright lamps, I do not think you can go wrong with any of them to be honest. Depends on what deals you can find. I bought the Bosch 90%+ ones at Halfords for £5 per lamp, which I thought was a bit of a bargain!
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 11:09 pm

Any ultra bright lamps will be better than standard just go with the cheapest bargain just make it branded, pers I found osram night breakers to be good until I uprated to hids.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 5:57 pm

I have been looking today & it seems like the 100 watt 5/6000 kelvin bulbs are available for as little as £4 with free delivery. I may go for the as I have a spare relay & then I wouldn't have to worry about the additional power draw.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 6:04 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
I have been looking today & it seems like the 100 watt 5/6000 kelvin bulbs are available for as little as £4 with free delivery. I may go for the as I have a spare relay & then I wouldn't have to worry about the additional power draw.
100w lamps are illegal to use on the road, instant MOT failure and will possibly overload the electrics on the bike/burn out connections & switches and melt the headlight. But that's just my opinion Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. 184121345
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 6:11 pm

I will see if I can find a cheap 55/60 then thanks for the warning as to the legal cracking
It won't overload the wiring as I would use a relay, straight to the battery. It won't melt glass & metal either.
I will probably give it a miss though, I don't want to antagonise the old bill, unesacerily.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 6:38 pm

Not the cheapest but at least you would have a spare:

Philips H4 X-Treme Vision + 130% Twin Pack
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 7:13 pm

The illegality not really an issue but! the 100w produce a lot of heat plastic connectors and lenses tend to melt.....See scooter forums!
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 7:58 pm

Andrew they are a good find.

Justin scooters would mostly have a lot of plastic, in and around the headlight housing to melt. However good point, as the C800 H4 connector may not be up to the job, of the additional amperage heat. That in itself wouldn't be a surprise, not when every manufacturer scrapes every barrel that parts come in.

Dave It used to be illegal put xenon light bulbs in your car, time changes. You can now buy bulbs that give nearly the equivalent amount of light as 100 watt bulb gives but uses a lot less wattage. 55/60 watt lamps draw around 4.5 Amps but the 100 watts ones draw around 8.3 Amps. The lower amperage has got to be better, for hardly any kelvin difference.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 9:28 pm

v-twin wrote:
Not the cheapest but at least you would have a spare:

Philips H4 X-Treme Vision + 130% Twin Pack
 Bloody Hell, that's good, one for me & one for someone else. Thanks Andrew, bargain. Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. 87893

• Up to 130% more light on the road in comparison to a standard headlight bulb

• Superior light beam: up to 130 metres allows you to see much more of the road ahead, up to 45m longer light beam than standard increases reaction time by up to 2 seconds

I have just ordered them,,,,,,,,,, with my 2nd, 30 day trial of Amazon Prime this year, That's the 4th trial in less than 8 months. Gives next day delivery for free, just put an alarm in my computer again, don't want to have to pass the 30 days and pay for prime.

Last edited by Mr Intruder on Sat May 02, 2015 1:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 9:24 am

That's exactly what I have. Reliable quality too Wink
Back to top Go down
hmac
hmac

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 10:57 am

The previous owner of my Marauder had fitted a cheap 100 watt bulb, when I went to replace it I noticed that the plastic lamp holder had melted and was close to shorting out. I replaced the lamp holder with a ceramic one from ebay and fitted a standard 55/60 watt H4 bulb. The light from the standard bulb was actually better than the light produced by the 100 watt one it replaced.

When I get a roundtoit I will install one of these Phillps X-Treme Vision + 130%
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Seems like you and Andrew are in agreement then, mine will be here tomorrow.  Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. 3498837457
Back to top Go down
petetesch
petetesch

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 4:24 pm

So you will have a spare then eh!! Mr I
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 4:26 pm

Yes, so he can carry a spare when he goes to France Wink
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 6:07 pm

petetesch wrote:
So you will have a spare then eh!! Mr I
Sorry Pete,  I have offered it to nigel.
Back to top Go down
petetesch
petetesch

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 6:38 pm

Only joshing Dave, pop over when you have it fitted.
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 7:42 pm

You should have kept it, as the bikes lights are on from ignition to stop they only tend to last about 6 months!
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 8:32 pm

Oh no they aint Justin cos we serious 800ers have a headlight off switch ner! msrke lol! Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. 3213823784 hyst  Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. 2740622253 sssmily
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 8:35 pm

Good shout Peter,  mine was fitted nearly 3 years ago

Justin, I ordered 3 sets =6. 
2 for the wife.
1 for nigel.
1 for my bike & 2 spare, looking long term.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 9:34 pm

By rights davey that means you could give one to Peter 

and one to me as well  sssmily
Back to top Go down
petetesch
petetesch

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 9:52 am

Can you rephase that Crash.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 9:54 am

affraid hyst Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. 3213823784
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 9:56 am

Don't knock it till you've tried it Pete Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. 3213823784Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. 3213823784Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. 3213823784
Back to top Go down
petetesch
petetesch

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 10:05 am

Have I got to try it agaaain??????
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 10:32 am

Is not having daytime running lights illegal after a certain year! besides why turn them off any additional visibility to the idiots in cages can only be a good thing.. Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. 2747638305
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 11:02 am

In the UK we don't have to have our lights on all the time, meaning you can fit your own off switch but bikes are and have been made for many years with no off switch to the lights. It is not illegal to have them off though.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 12:05 pm

I think the only rule is that DRL's must not be on at night, i.e. when you turn on your lights the DRL's turn off. But I am contemplating fitting them so that they only go off with the dipped beam but come back on with the main beam and are also on when the main lights are off.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 1:53 pm

I have my standard headlight which I can switch off, & do, for start up. 2 x 4 1/2" spot lights that I use as either additional lighting or alone if I have the headlight off & an LED day riding light mounted under the headlight which is on all the time the ignition is on & also an LED pilot light.
I am going to fit 2 x 30watt cree sptlights as well when I can get motivated & they will have a separate circuit & switch as the other spots do at the moment. I also have 2 x 3 LED red tail lights fixed to the panniers as markers so I think I've got most circumstances sorted or have I missed something???
Oh & a 14 amp hour battery as well just in case......
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 2:48 pm

The main rule on lights is, white to the front, red to the back & amber to the sides. Lights must be used where fitted,  for example brake lights and indicators. Factory or aftermarket fog lights must not be used if visibility exceeds the minimum requirements. So DRL's are fine as long as the emit the correct colour.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 2:52 pm

Correct as you say Dave. That's all the MoT needs as aall others are simply 'extra's' to the original fitment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.   Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheap Direct fit, headlight bulb Recommendation.
Page 1 of 1