Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Time for new tyres

Go down 
+3
rossmofo
simbo
Ken1964
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

Time for new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Time for new tyres   Time for new tyres Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 8:37 pm

The time has come for some new tyres, both front and back are now needed. I have been using Dunlops on both car and bike for decades and I have a question for the harder core bikers: Does one make really out perform another? If so what are the best in your opinion? Why are they better?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Time for new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for new tyres   Time for new tyres Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2015 9:30 pm

A lot will come down to personal preference on tyre's Ken, I've always been a Michelin fan myself but I'm running Bridgestone,Dunlops and Metzelers on my bikes at the moment, Metzelers on the Intruder due to wanting White Walls, If I was replacing them with plain tyre's I'd opt for the Avon Venoms because they feel a nice sticky tyre with good durability, no problems with the Metz but the Avon's just feel a softer compound on the edges.
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

Time for new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for new tyres   Time for new tyres Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks for your personal opinions Sim, much appreciated. To be truthful tyres have never caused me a problem. This is more than likely to do with my riding style, I don't really have one that is. I just poodle about, never really making the tyres have to work. I suppose my main concern has always been winter riding. I would imagine that if there really isn't a great deal between tyres, Dunlops can continue to be my choice for a little longer.
Back to top Go down
rossmofo
rossmofo

Time for new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for new tyres   Time for new tyres Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 10:38 am

I haven't used Dunlop's for about 25 years  ,had too many scary episodes on sports bikes shod with them , find them slippery on damp cold roads. I might need to look at their range again though as the Metzler 200 section on the M800 at the moment is shit in the wet and only just passable in the dry ,will be going Michelin ,Bridgestone,Avon or Continental depending on sizes available ..and possibly Dunlop . The Metzler initially seemed better than the IRC but soon showed its failings on wet roads and white lines etc ,and its even worse now the bike has more power....
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Time for new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for new tyres   Time for new tyres Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 11:42 pm

I had Bridgestones fitted originally & was more than happy with them.  But, along with Sim, when I swapped to whitewalls i ended up with Metzs (which I'd run on my Katana for years (not whitewalls!!) & never had an issue with them).  I believe some members have fitted Maxxis - may be worth looking at them as well.  Oponeo are worth checking out for prices
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

Time for new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for new tyres   Time for new tyres Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks for the opinions, gives me something to give thought to when I see what the prices are. I am not a fast rider but tyres are life or death. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Time for new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for new tyres   Time for new tyres Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 7:15 pm

So what tyres have you decided to get ken?
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

Time for new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for new tyres   Time for new tyres Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 9:13 pm

Sorry but I am still undecided, to many to choose from should I change brands. I would like a reasonably good wearing tyre, also reasonably sticky, as I appreciate that the tyre is your lifeline. I am not really one for speed or cornering very quickly. I may just stick with what I know as tyres are a conundrum to me.
Back to top Go down
rossmofo
rossmofo

Time for new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for new tyres   Time for new tyres Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 10:10 pm

Just make sure you check the date of manufacture on the tyre before they fit it , its a code on the sidewall of four numbers eg...1312 is the 13th week of 2012 .... My rear tyre was 2½ years old when it was fitted ,the front 6months ....I normally wouldn't accept any tyre over 2years old ... Tyre Leader are selling 2008 metzlers for £62  but who wants a 7year old tyre ...they can go off during storage ...
I think my next rear will be a 180 section Michelin Commander ll which is quite a sporty compound ..
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Time for new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for new tyres   Time for new tyres Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 10:19 pm

Great advice, never new that about the date. Time for new tyres 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

Time for new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for new tyres   Time for new tyres Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 10:36 pm

I run Avon Venoms front and rear and would agree with Simbo, good road holding and durable too.

I'll be probably going Metzelers ME880's next time round though as I want white walls and they seem to be the only ones available over here !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Time for new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for new tyres   Time for new tyres Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time for new tyres
Page 1 of 1