Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need new tyres

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
hmac
hmac

Need new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Need new tyres   Need new tyres Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 11:47 pm

After yesterdays puncture adventure I have decided to treat my bike to a pair of new tyres. Any recommendations, Bike is 97 VZ800 Marauder sizes are 150/90 15 rear and 130/90 16 front. Also wondered if a 170/80 15 would fit on the rear?  Have seen a pair of Conti milestones for £200.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

Need new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need new tyres   Need new tyres Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 11:53 pm

www.oponeo.co.uk I have just bought a set of Avon Storm 3D for my VX, but as yet have not been out on them
Back to top Go down
Two-Bears
* VZ Guru *
Two-Bears

Need new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need new tyres   Need new tyres Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 2:19 am

Hello Harry,
The VZ800 Marauder does not have a lot of spare clearance under the rear wheel arch area,, the tyre rubbing through the cable for the rear indicator and sidelight/number plate light ( often on the near side ) is fairly common,,, put some weight on the rear and have a look/ try get your fingers in between the wheel arch and tyre,,, with a pillion or rally kit weighing the rear down or if your a fat sod like me, tends to cause wire rubbing with every pot hole/bump you hit .,, most VZ Marauders I worked on I put a scissor jack between the fram cover mountings and wound the jack out gently to force them apart as much as possible when replaceing the rear tyre. so I wouldn't go larger,, some people say they have with no problems so good luck to them,,, I never did.
METZELER ME 880 MARATHON,, are the tyres for me,, they transform the handling of the bike and you should be able to grind the pegs on every corner/ rounderbout when you feel like it,, I most certainly did..
I got a price of £189 the pair with free delivery for METZELER and a price of £169 for continental CM2`s & free delivery,, try look here:- http://www.tyrecomp.co.uk/tyres-motorcycle/tyres-all/150-90-r15.htm

Hope this is of some help mate.
Back to top Go down
hmac
hmac

Need new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need new tyres   Need new tyres Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 9:42 am

Based on advice given by Two-Bears and V-Twin I have decided against going for a wider rear tyre and have ordered a pair of Conti Milestones from www.oponeo.co.uk for £164 delivered. Could fit them myself but will probably get my local tyre man to do it.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Need new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need new tyres   Need new tyres Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 3:48 pm

Wide rear
A wide rear tyre means more tread on the road, making the motorcycle want to push through turns instead of go around them. This can lead to a dangerous under-steer condition.

Wide front
Wider front tyres will have the opposite effect of a wide rear, and can make the bike more responsive in the corners (over-steer). Caution is advised, however, because a wide front tyre combined with a motorcycle's short wheelbase can make for a twitchy and dangerous ride.

Both narrow
Some bikers prefer a narrower tyre on both the front and back, because the tread of the tyre is more pointed and handling is a little more crisp. This can, however, lead to serious instability problems at high speed.

Both wide
The best solution is to go wide on both ends, since overall grip will be increased and the handling balance retained.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need new tyres Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need new tyres   Need new tyres Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need new tyres
Page 1 of 1