Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Recommend me a flip front helmet?

Go down 
+6
rossmofo
OldManYam
Mr Intruder
Lowey
simbo
EazyDuz
10 posters
AuthorMessage
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

Recommend me a flip front helmet? Empty
PostSubject: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 5:15 pm

Im in the process of changing my pretty ill fitting and old gear.
Ive got new boots, my jeans fit ok, im watching out for a good used leather jacket.
But now i want a flip front helmet for warm days. I figure its the best of both worlds. Plus my current full face isnt a great fit anyway.
I'm on a tight budget for the helmet, up to £60 really.
Ive seen this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shox-Bullet-Front-Motorcycle-Helmet/dp/B00B7OZARQ

With good reviews. Would this be ok despite the price? I believe Shox is owned by MT, which is Spanish if im correct.

Frank Thomas also do their own:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FLIP-FRONT-MOTORCYCLE-FLIP-UP-TOURING-MOTORBIKE/dp/B007C4XP7M/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1433434459&sr=8-13&keywords=flip+front+helmet

Opinions?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 5:37 pm

Forget the jacket and spend as much as you can possibly afford on a helmet.
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 5:49 pm

simbo wrote:
Forget the jacket and spend as much as you can possibly afford on a helmet.

Good advice, always buy the best helmet you can.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 8:25 pm

I loved my Shark Evoline, well before I melted it on my workbench. Recommend me a flip front helmet? 3307848339
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 8:44 pm

Yes - the Shark Evoline is an interesting helmet - not a traditional flip front, but a rotating chin-bar that you can flip to the back of the helmet.
I think they are on version 3 at the moment.
Note when lowering the chin-guard down to the 'full-face' position you need to make sure you push it backwards slightly for the locking mechanism to engage properly.
Also has a mini seat-belt type chin strap fastener - which I prefer for general user friendliness .... though I know many people still argue that double 'D' rings are best in terms of proper fastening.  

My mate plumber 'Pete' swore by the Shoei Neo-Tec, which is a traditional flip front, with mini-buckle strap (Whereas most current Shoei helmets are on double 'D' rings.

I guess you are aware that a lot of flip front helmets are not rated for riding with the flip front in the 'up' position ..... Pete reckoned the Shoei NeoTec was .... & the Shark Evolines are.

There are other choices too - but I've not had any owner feedback on them. BUT, whilst other people can offer lots of advice & recommendations, you always get back to the fact that helmets are a personal choice and actual fit of specific brands can vary. I remember years ago lusting after a particular helment, & once I'd saved up & went to rty one on I was dreadfully disappointed, 'cos it did not fit me comfortably. These days a choose fit & function over looks etc. (But also look for a good safety spec).

For that reason I would not buy on line unless I'd tried that make, model & size of helmet elsewhere. Cos unless its been on yer bonce ... you won't know how well it fits you .... I would not just buy on price 'cos it look like a bargain offer ...... age tells you things are often cheap for a reason !

Cheers  Recommend me a flip front helmet? 256401         Recommend me a flip front helmet? 3005623951   Yam
Back to top Go down
rossmofo
rossmofo

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 11:23 am

Any of the schuberth flip ups would do great ,they are light ,quiet and very well made ...I use a R1 lid by them and its the quietest helmet ive had even with the bike screen fitted ,just make sure you get the sizing right ...
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 8:45 pm

I liked the Scuberth 'J1', but that is an open face helmet with a removable chin bar ..... very comfortable (on my head) and a good field of view ..... but sadly I believe it is no longer in production.

I believe it has been replaced by the 'M1', which is a high quality 'open-face' helmet, but has no chin=guard etc.
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Too be fair, all helmets are built to the same spec, you only pay extra for brand, weight and possibly sharp protection! just in case you fall onto a knife!! Whether the lid is £40 or £400 it will give your head the same protection so long as they fit correctly and have eu sticker. polystyrene, fibre glass/possibly carbon fibre all modelled to a "size".
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 11:36 pm

Yes Justin .... in the same way that a Skoda is just as good as a Rolls Royce ......

....... as they are both made by Volkswagen ! Recommend me a flip front helmet? 2343124779 Recommend me a flip front helmet? 3213823784 hyst Recommend me a flip front helmet? 2740622253 lol! Recommend me a flip front helmet? 852880
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 7:20 am

Yep - have to agree with Yam.  I'd be very cautious (ie, not touch with a bargepole) a cheap Chinese made brand - I'm sure I saw this clip posted here - if not, it's worth a watch as a warning  

You don't need to spend a fortune, but you do need to check your chosen lid out in person for fit - there's the old saying "you either have a Shoei or Arai head".  Back in the seventies Bell used the slogan  "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet. If your head is worth more, buy a Bell." - I think, relatively speaking, helmets are a lot cheaper than they used to be, in as much as the lower end of the market can offer the same protection as the top end. -  Never be tempted to buy a lid online if you've not tried it first in person.  Never buy a second hand lid - always pick function over form.  It's also worth looking at the SHARP safety ratings.
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 10:43 am

Have you ever driven a new skoda!!! they piss on most of the mainstream for ride, comfort, reliability, speed........
I WAS NOT including cheap Chinese imports in my statement, unless they fully conform to our regulations! The same applies to usa skull caps! But I have one.....Rider safety first and foremost is with the rider NO amount of armour regardless who builds it will keep you safe. TT proof of point, none of the riders think they are invincible but they all take it to the edge and over and a lot of that comes from fire proof kangaroo skins with built in air bags and the latest tech in helmets, if they where told to ride in shorts,t shirts and raybans I don't think the race would be quite so fast! although there would always be one "joey Dunlop" out there who would carry on regardless.

Be Safe DONT just feel safe!
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 9:39 pm

Yes - I have driven a modern Skoda ..... & the North Yorkshire Police were using RS Octavias 10-years ago. They offer VFM .... but I would not put them 'way ahead' of mainstream rivals ..... in fact I would regard Skoda as a mainstream marque. Hyundai & Kia are good examples of emerging brands that are competitors to the mainstream.

I was merely pointing out the irony of the world of manufacturing. Whilst generally you 'get what you pay for' ..... you do not need to spend a fortune to get something that is 'very good' ..... if you want to improve on 'very good' then the benefit is generally inversely proportional to the extra you spend.
To the point that the benefit is disproportional to the extra money spent ........ then throw into the mix that if you did accidentally drop that helmet, the performance is doubtful irrespective of how much you spent in the first place.
Recommend me a flip front helmet? 428386  Justin  for the caveat 'Be Safe .... don't just feel safe ! ...... its not what you wear that ultimately makes you safe - but it can make a difference when things don't go to plan - because life is not a 'perfect world' .....
........ ride safe ..... your loved ones want you home at the end of play Recommend me a flip front helmet? 184121345
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 7:09 pm

I have never had to much cash available so I have always bought rather cheap helmet because I always think if its got the kite mark it must be half descent. I like flip helmets but only so I can smoke
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 8:39 pm

captain crash wrote:
I like flip helmets but only so I can smoke
 That's part of the reason I like open face. Recommend me a flip front helmet? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
azcam
Valued Member
azcam

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 12:06 am

Bought me n the misses Shark Evoline 3 on Tuesday. Went for a sping and i couldnt belive the differeance from my relitively priced Arail flip front. No where as much wind noise. Very comfortable
considering my face shape of a ballon. Plus there was concideriable less bufferting at higher speeds.
Thougherly recomend this helmet, although a bit on the pricey side.
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 9:48 am

Recommend me a flip front helmet? 428386  to Shark Evoline 3 .... I have one of those, was initially unsure of the design of the rotating chin-guard, but once you fully understand how it all works it is clearly a clever design. It is also a practical helmet that can be ridden at speed in 'open-face' mode ....... Something that conventional flip-ups can't, as they are not designed to be used like that.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 5:22 pm

In the end i picked up a Nitro F341 helmet, cheap doesnt always mean bad. The SHARP rating won me over:

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/nitro-f341-vn

90% of tests the flipper stayed closed, beating some £200+ helmets, and i got mine for £60.
Very comfy, a little noisy but i wear ear plugs. All in all very pleased
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 5:40 pm

Interesting site that 'sharp' I was thinking of changing my Caberg Konda for a Shark evo 3 but my Caberg gets a better rating!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me a flip front helmet?   Recommend me a flip front helmet? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommend me a flip front helmet?
Page 1 of 1