Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Front Brake Squeal

Go down 
+3
captain crash
simbo
MaxAeschlimann
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MaxAeschlimann
MaxAeschlimann

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi Intruder club!

While riding my 1997 VS800 today I noticed the front tire screeching. I think it's brake related, but I don't know how to diagnose what the issue is. I don't want to take the brake assembly apart if I don't have to, but will do so if necessary. Does anyone here have any idea what this could be? Brake pad, rotor, etc? Just looking to be pointed in the right direction. I can take pictures if needed. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2016 9:55 pm

Hi Max.

Try lifting the front wheel to make sure it spins freely when the brake isn't applied, if it spins freely? put some copper grease on the 'back' of the pads and that should stop them squealing, if it doesn't spin freely? it could be a dirty of seized brake piston that stopping the pads releasing.
Back to top Go down
MaxAeschlimann
MaxAeschlimann

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2016 3:43 am

Just lifted the bike up and the wheel spins freely, but it sounds like something is rubbing. It's almost as if the front brake is ever so slightly engaged, thus rubbing the pad on the rotor. How do I check the piston to see if it has seized and is not releasing the brake pad?
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 9:29 am

Have you got a little stone or something in your pad?
Back to top Go down
MaxAeschlimann
MaxAeschlimann

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 2:37 pm

I have no idea, but that would make sense. I'll certainly check it out when I get home. When I spun the wheel, my buddy said the rotor might not be perfectly straight. That might account for the squeaking, right?
Back to top Go down
MaxAeschlimann
MaxAeschlimann

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 7:22 pm

Front Brake Squeal Brake110
Front Brake Squeal Brake210
Back to top Go down
MaxAeschlimann
MaxAeschlimann

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Took two pictures. Looks like the brake pads are scrubbing the rotor at all times. When the front brake is applied, the pads engage the rotor but there doesn't seem to be a gap like I expected. Is there supposed to be a gap in between the pads and rotor? I have never worked on motorcycle brakes before, so this is new territory. How do I see if the piston is dirty or slightly seized up? One user suggested putting copper grease onto the back of the pads, but I don't want to buy grease if that won't help. Thanks again for all of the help!
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 7:41 pm

max
by the look of brake pins and calliper a strip and clean is the first thing I would do .those pins could mean the pads are not releasing properly.depending on your spanner skills not a big job.

Last edited by ardie on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MaxAeschlimann
MaxAeschlimann

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Will do. Do you have any advice on how to do that without having a bike stand?
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 8:30 pm

stand not needed for this, couple of bolts undone you should be able to lift the calliper away from disc it will still be hanging by the brake hose so support it don't let it hang on its own.This will give you access to every thing you need to clean.DO NOT PRESS BRAKE LEVER WHEN CALLIPER OFF .Max use a phone to record what you disassemble will be helpful when putting it back
Back to top Go down
MaxAeschlimann
MaxAeschlimann

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 8:57 pm

Great idea. Last question before I get cleaning: what should I use to clean everything off? Don't want to use something that will cause any gunk or build up.
Back to top Go down
MaxAeschlimann
MaxAeschlimann

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 9:00 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaY49WRGVEU

Do you agree with this guy's method?
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 9:29 pm

yes max I use brake cleaner and old soft tooth brush as theres rubber seals in there u need to be gentle with i also use  a g clamp to push piston back in when needed, wrap towel round calliper to stop any marking. a bit of emery paper on those pins
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 9:44 pm

Up to the point where he sprays WD40 into the bolt holes.  I'd be inclined to invest in a new pair of pins & a tube of cooper slip.  Smear a SMALL amount of copper slip on the back of the pads & the pins & a smear on the bolts
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 10:20 pm

Good advice gents  Front Brake Squeal 3498837457
Back to top Go down
MaxAeschlimann
MaxAeschlimann

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Yeah, the pins are corroded so I will certainly replace them soon. Do you guys have any recommendations of a site that sells such a specific part? 

I took apart the entire brake assembly, cleaned it all and it works much better. There still seems to be a tiny sound of rubbing when I cruise with the clutch pulled in (to hear the wheel and eliminate loud pipe noise), but the squeaking/ screeching is gone! I did notice the brake level has more play in it now before fully engaging. I think that's because the brakes are able to disengage fully. Would that make sense? I replaced the brake fluid about 6 months ago, so it should still be fine.
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 3:01 pm

that's good max did you use copper grease on back of pads, its normal to hear a bit of sound as you spin the wheel its just the pads resting on the disc with my hearing I would not hear that on the road .As you have already changed brake fluid do no harm to bleed it again make sure no air in it   My first port of call for most things on the bike is ebay not much in way of bike shops in Londonderry never sod all in stock for vl800 has to be ordered in ebay cheaper and quicker
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 4:35 pm

That's good to hear Max - wouldn't harm to bleed again.  As regards sourcing parts - maybe one of Stateside members can recommend somewhere - shipping from Europe could be problematic
Back to top Go down
MaxAeschlimann
MaxAeschlimann

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 2:44 pm

I'm confused as to why I would put copper slip on the back of the pads. Can anyone help me understand that?
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 3:08 pm

The copper slip will prevent any friction when the brake is applied, the friction is what can cause  the brake squeal.

It is also a good idea to put some on the retaining pins as well, be careful not to get any on the brake disc or the face of the brake pads.
Back to top Go down
MaxAeschlimann
MaxAeschlimann

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 3:19 pm

Got ya. When you say the back of the brake pads, you mean the metal slab that's opposite of the pad, right? The part that the caliper/ piston actually comes in to contact with when engaging the brakes?
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 3:26 pm

MaxAeschlimann wrote:
Got ya. When you say the back of the brake pads, you mean the metal slab that's opposite of the pad, right? The part that the caliper/ piston actually comes in to contact with when engaging the brakes?

Yes that's right, DO NOT put any on the face of the pads which come into contact with the brake disc.
Back to top Go down
MaxAeschlimann
MaxAeschlimann

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 3:30 pm

Yeah, I'd never do that. Is there a certain brand of brake pad you might suggest? If the copper slip does not solve the squeaking problem, I might look into replacing the pads themselves. Even though there's still plenty of meat on the pads, they might just be old. There's no telling how long they were on the bike. The man I bought my Intruder from had it sitting in his garage for a while. Do brake pads need to be replaced after sitting for a while? Or should they be fine?
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 8:16 pm

hello max I use EBC SINTERED PADS always been good for me ,as for pads sitting a while its personal I would tend to replace that's my own preference
Back to top Go down
mog703
Prospect

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2022 10:03 pm

New to the site today. This was my first stop and just couldnt wait to shout out my HAPPY! Man, I am so so excited to be here. Sounds like a bunch of pretty cool guys with a head full of great information about a bike Im gonna fall in love with.
Ive been finding VERY little info about my intruder (just purchased yesterday) and this is my LUCKY DAY to just radomly stumble across this awesome forum
It was well worth the 10 minuets choosing buses crosswalks and mountains to get in, lol. 
I hope at some point I am able to give back.
Thanks!!!

Oh yea and I do have a bit of a squeal im gonna address promptly from what I've learned
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front Brake Squeal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Brake Squeal   Front Brake Squeal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Brake Squeal
Page 1 of 1