Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What security do you use?

Go down 
+10
bigmal
Lowey
OldManYam
Skidalot
Bluesman
simbo
Old Luner
hawktheslayer
peardrop3
EazyDuz
14 posters
AuthorMessage
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

What security do you use? Empty
PostSubject: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 3:21 pm

I keep my bike garaged overnight but in the day or times where it won't be at home, i could do with some better security.
Recently had to remove the alarm i had fitted as it was drawing 0.09A which was killing my battery in 10 days. 
I have a cheap Ebay chain and alarmed disc lock but neither are very good.
Any recommendations?
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 4:36 pm

Oxford ground anchor is good & I also carry a whacking great disc lock & a spring wire locking set up for helmets etc.
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 5:17 pm

ebay ground anchor double skin about £20 just as good as oxford, thatcham secure chain from mammoth 10mm with oxford mini u lock, plus alarm mobiliser and tagging!!! if they want it they have to work for it.
10 days is about average for an alarm when the bikes not used, either fire it up weekly or get a battery tender (thanks again sim) and plug it in 1 day a week.
Back to top Go down
Old Luner
Valued Member
Old Luner

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 6:08 pm

I suffer from antitheft paranoia, garage has double skinned ground anchor with huge Oxford chain/lock, two huge Abus U-locks, is fully belled and I park a BMW X5 hard up against the garage door.

Out and about I've got a huge Krall disc lock that you could use to club a rhino to death and another Abus u-lock I use to lock the bike to something.

I'm still paranoid when out and about so it's very rare I leave the bike unattended anyhoo.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 7:41 pm

Two Abus padlocks and an Abus chain (supplied by work) for if I leave it overnight anywhere, one through the disc and one on the chain, I don't bother locking them in the garage as the cars in front of the door and they won't fit down the side, plus we have 3 dogs so if someone was going to pinch the bikes? they'd have to kill or injure the dogs first and I'd be more pissed about the dogs than the bikes. If they want them that bad? they'll get them no matter what we do. resistant is futile.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 8:17 pm

As long as I've remembered to lock the garage, insurance and gap will provide me with two lovely new bikes!
Back to top Go down
Skidalot
Very Valued VIP Member
Skidalot

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 8:29 pm

An ex burglar once advised that even 'state of the art' alarms etc are little more than "a challenge".  Suspect The only thing that really unnerved him were a gravel path and a dog combo! pale
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 8:39 pm

When Les used to ride pillion I would just leave her near the bike ..... it scarred most people off !

(She is currently out of the country & cannot see these disparaging comments) sssmily
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 8:30 am

Skidalot wrote:
An ex burglar once advised that even 'state of the art' alarms etc are little more than "a challenge".  Suspect The only thing that really unnerved him were a gravel path and a dog combo! pale

It never ceases to amaze me the way these so called ex burglars, like to brag about their so called skill as a scum criminal.
Back to top Go down
Skidalot
Very Valued VIP Member
Skidalot

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 2:07 pm

Lowey wrote:
Skidalot wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me the way these so called ex burglars, like to brag about their so called skill as a scum criminal.
What security do you use? 2430667360 I fail to see what part of my post led you to believe that he was bragging about it?  
The person in question works or worked for a security firm in an advisory capacity from what I can recall (its a long time ago since I read it).
Personally if I was about to splash out a small fortune of my 'hard earned' on home security I'd like to get the opinion of someone who could tell me if its any good or not? After all, I think we have all heard the phrases "poacher turned gamekeeper".. "set a thief to catch a thief" etc etc.
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 7:05 pm

It also amazes me what kind of security firm employs criminals. If you seek the advice on your security issues from criminals that is your business we live in a free country. all the best to you.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 7:08 pm

Skidalot wrote:

Personally if I was about to splash out a small fortune of my 'hard earned' on home security I'd like to get the opinion of someone who could tell me if its any good or not? After all, I think we have all heard the phrases "poacher turned gamekeeper".. "set a thief to catch a thief" etc etc.

It's like the thieves "Which Magazine" review  What security do you use? 852880  no better place to get reviews than someone who's actually out to break into these things, it's show's the frailties the manufacturers won't ever tell you about  What security do you use? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 7:26 pm

In a similar vein some companies pay "hackers" to try and bypass their internet security....
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 8:40 pm

One of my bikes has a 'Tracker' device fitted (by the previous owner). I though I would 'register' for the service ... & they advised me to go for an upgrade as with the age of the existing unit it would be due a new internal battery.
An engineer came at the appointed day, but I was disappointed at his lack of professionalism. He did not know where the original unit was fitted (Organisational issue - poor record keeping) & he pissed about trying to trace wires & correct circuit to splice into (Unprofessional fitter). When he finally fitted it he could not prove it was working correctly. He partially dismantled the unit & I could see how easy it would be to disarm it.
Whilst this is a well respected product that can secure recovery of a vehicle, it is simple to defeat if you know how.
So .... it does not matter how much you spend - there will always be a way for a professional criminal to help themselves to your pride & joy - all you can do is minimise the likelihood of an opportunist having a go ! .... Just make sure you have a decent insurance policy
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 9:13 pm

When I'm out, I use an Abus Victory, which I carry on a bracket fitted at the bottom of the frame 

[img]What security do you use? IMG_20160409_144115037_HDR%202_zpstvzdwgsj[/img]

At home I use an Oxford Monster lock fitted through a double wall ground anchor.  Double locked garage behind a wrought iron gate & a loud dog
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 9:20 pm

I would rather listen to an ex thief than someone who thinks their knowledge of bike security is good. Then they find out it wasn't.  Even governments have been known to employ so called ex criminals to tighten security.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 9:25 pm

At the end of the day, if they want it, they're going to have it - all you can do is deter them enough for them to move onto a less well protected bike.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 9:53 pm

After this thread i put the alarm back in and will just start the bike once a week. 
I'll make do with that, my alarmed disc lock and chain. Might invest in a thicker chain though which won't succumb to cutters. 
Doubt the bike will ever be in an area where someone can whip an angle grinder out and not be noticed. There is a 14mm link chain on Ebay for £60 which looks alright
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 9:55 pm

Fit an Optimate (or similar) - the battery on my Katana lasted eight years & that was with an alarm fitted
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 9:58 pm

I have a tender from Halfords which works well. I just get lazy because the wire to connect it is behind the storage compartment side panel, but the bike is always up against the wall on that side in the garage.
Is it possible to get an adaptor to charge it from the 12v socket on the handlebars? Would make life easier
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 10:01 pm

Never leave your chain resting on the floor or something thieves can use to get more leverage with their bolt cutters.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 10:02 pm

Just run the connector under the side panel so it pokes out slightly & connect it that way - that's how mine is - works a teat.  Just remember to slip the dust cap over when you go out to stop the crap getting into the connectors
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 2:11 am

I don't use any security. I am 76 and prostate cancer survivor. Not much need for security.  What security do you use? 3213823784
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 6:02 am

katsd wrote:
Just run the connector under the side panel so it pokes out slightly & connect it that way - that's how mine is - works a teat.  Just remember to slip the dust cap over when you go out to stop the crap getting into the connectors

Snap, mine pops out of the bodywork near the nearside rear footpeg hanger and I have put a cable tie at the very end to stop it flapping about.
Back to top Go down
Old Luner
Valued Member
Old Luner

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 8:11 am

v-twin wrote:
katsd wrote:

Snap, mine pops out of the bodywork near the nearside rear footpeg hanger and I have put a cable tie at the very end to stop it flapping about.

Snap MK2

Exactly where mine is, cable tie too  What security do you use? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 8:26 am

Mine just dangles and flaps in the wind  Laughing
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 8:49 am

What about your Optimate connector, Sim ?
Back to top Go down
Skidalot
Very Valued VIP Member
Skidalot

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 10:47 am

What security do you use? 3322349030 Mine gets wet from being dragged on the road
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 11:02 am

Same question Skid !!
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 11:03 am

Mine flaps around whilst riding annoying anyone in the rear seat!
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 11:09 am

I have no doubt what you're talking about, Justin!
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 2:10 pm

Proudtexson wrote:
I don't use any security. I am 76 and prostate cancer survivor. Not much need for security.  What security do you use? 3213823784

That & the shotgun you have behind the door Tex ! ! ! Shunk, shunk, shit drop it & run boys!!!!!!!!!!!!! What security do you use? 3213823784 hyst What security do you use? 2740622253 What security do you use? 3724349360
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What security do you use?   What security do you use? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What security do you use?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum :: The Garage :: General Aftermarkets & Modifications-
Jump to:  
Slide Show
A random selection of suzuki800.com member bikes.
Latest topics
» just saying hello to this site
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby sgtruth60@gmail.com Tue May 07, 2024 8:04 pm

What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby M800chimp Tue May 07, 2024 11:28 am

» G’day
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby Milosdevino Sat May 04, 2024 5:39 am

» 12inch apes
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby Mbroom21 Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:54 pm

» Aye what's happenin'?
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby 717RedRumBob Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:50 am

» Handle bars rotation for comfort
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby Badger Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:20 pm

» Hello!
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby GregWidger Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:16 pm

» Hey to all
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby alongfortheride Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:41 pm

» Just saying hello as asked... plus a question.
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby SAM11206 Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:34 pm

» Hello!
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby Onigatudor Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:39 pm

» Choke plunger
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby flying1 Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:43 pm

» Hello intruder people
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby nano Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:19 pm

» Hi from North east England
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby Brianhuck Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:30 pm

» VX800 - Wiring issue colours & diagram?
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby Billybop90 Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:44 am

» Looking for a set of Leg wind deflectors for a C50 Boulivard.
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby Aikido789 Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:11 am

» Saying hello from Cheshire
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby bernard chaddock Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:58 pm

» ola de portugal
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby fabio almeida Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:28 am

» Hello from Texas
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby icoolwecool99@gmail.com Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:47 pm

» VX800 vacuum hose(s) 1996
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby Billybop90 Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:16 pm

» Chrome Fender Tips - Volusia VL800, Boulevard C50T
What security do you use? Icon_minitimeby SWEET Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:25 pm

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password