Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A few ideas on things I might do

Go down 
+6
ardie
bigmal
simbo
Bluesman
peardrop3
EazyDuz
10 posters
AuthorMessage
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

A few ideas on things I might do Empty
PostSubject: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 10:57 am

The only thing that my bike lacks for me is comfort and practicality long distance, which is the easiest thing to fix but perhaps the most costly. I can't leave the bike alone without modifying it.

I've got risers coming which i'll do a mini review on, but looking at the following:

1. Making the seat more comfortable. I can't justify a Mustang seat for an obscene £500 or so, so thats out the question. Wondering if these might be worth a go:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Comfort-Seat-Cushion-Suzuki-Intruder-C-800-Tourtecs-Air-ML-Pad-/401069138419?hash=item5d619561f3:g:8WMAAOSwX~dWlCUZ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Comfort-Seat-Cushion-Suzuki-Intruder-C-800-Tourtecs-Air-M-Pad-/401157287258?hash=item5d66d66d5a:g:7yMAAOSwARZXj8Oe

2. Adding a back rest. I have a slipped disc and shouldn't hunch. The risers will help that but it would be nice to have some support while sitting tall. Looking at this unless I can get cheaper from the US?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-VL-800-Volusia-C800-Intruder-C50-Boulevard-Driver-Rider-Backrest-/252132232913?hash=item3ab4408ed1:g:pXUAAOSw0e9Uvjti

I can't DIY because I dont have the tools or patience. 

3. Lowers. Can't find much to buy in this country so i'd have to import (bit of a gap in the UK market here) maybe these? http://www.jpcycles.com/product/561-470/memphis-shades-fork-deflectors

4. Making saddlebags easier to detach. My current set have a zip on the yoke, but they flap around in the wind and bang on the support rails so I bought some little clamps which hook on the saddlebag rail with a bolt going through the bag and into them, holding them in place. They're just a bit finicky when removing the bolts from inside the bag, so some sort of quicker release would be nice. Basically anything simple and cheap which will help hold the bag to the rails, maybe an adjustable cable tie even? That way I can remove the bags quickly with the zip yoke and unhook from the rails.

5. Drive mod. Unlikely to do this as it seems like a lot of work and never seem to see the correct drive show up on Ebay in the UK. its a shame no one is building these to bolt straight on as i'd definitely buy one. With ear plugs the high revs aren't too much of an issue but i'm sure it sounds nicer and gets better mpg at 70-80mph on the motorway
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 1:20 pm

AS  comments 1 & 2, you mention the seat comfort problem.
I have sciatica & had my seats redone by Tony Archer in Huddersfield for around £100- or so a couple of years ago now. I had the front seat made slightly wider, around 1" both sides, deeper by 1" or so & had a gel pad inserted & a weave pattern cover over the top.
The pillion seat was made almost twice as wide as the standard one due to the wife having the feeling of being cut in half by the standard one, also it was made almost twice as deep with a gel pad inserted & the weave pattern cover again to match the front & like the front has blue piping on the edges.
The difference was that the deeper rear seat meant that the different seat heights made a sort of back support for my lower back thus helping my sciatica problem.
AS for fitting a front seat backrest then I don't feel it necessary now due to the remodelling but that's a thing you can buy online & simply bolts to the bottom of your standard, or remodelled seats base.
Lowers for the forks, yes they mostly come from the States but you say you have no patience to make your own so that's the route you'll have to take & buy ready made one's.
Saddle bags, they can be a problem on all bikes but unless you invest in a proper fitting kit or make some small aluminium z shaped brackets to rivet/bolt to the back of the bags then the way you have sorted yours out will be the possible only option.
Final drive mod, well you have to bite the bullet & buy one from wherever you can I'm afraid as they very rarely come up in the UK so keep looking & make the decision BUT as you state you have no DIY skills etc & no patience how are you going to get it done, paying someone probably I'm afraid reading your comments above.
I'm sorry to put the mockers on some of your comments but I've tried to help in other parts so don't take offence ok as we want to help you out but it does need YOU to start by helping yourself by buying tools etc etc & getting to know how to do some work yourself. I am in Derby, but there may be another owner nearer to you to help you or give face to face advice or help as at the moment I am just a little bit overrun with my own personal projects, house, bike, van etc to help you myself.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 2:05 pm

peardrop3 wrote:
AS  comments 1 & 2, you mention the seat comfort problem.
I have sciatica & had my seats redone by Tony Archer in Huddersfield for around £100- or so a couple of years ago now. I had the front seat made slightly wider, around 1" both sides, deeper by 1" or so & had a gel pad inserted & a weave pattern cover over the top.
The pillion seat was made almost twice as wide as the standard one due to the wife having the feeling of being cut in half by the standard one, also it was made almost twice as deep with a gel pad inserted & the weave pattern cover again to match the front & like the front has blue piping on the edges.
The difference was that the deeper rear seat meant that the different seat heights made a sort of back support for my lower back thus helping my sciatica problem.
AS for fitting a front seat backrest then I don't feel it necessary now due to the remodelling but that's a thing you can buy online & simply bolts to the bottom of your standard, or remodelled seats base.
Lowers for the forks, yes they mostly come from the States but you say you have no patience to make your own so that's the route you'll have to take & buy ready made one's.
Saddle bags, they can be a problem on all bikes but unless you invest in a proper fitting kit or make some small aluminium z shaped brackets to rivet/bolt to the back of the bags then the way you have sorted yours out will be the possible only option.
Final drive mod, well you have to bite the bullet & buy one from wherever you can I'm afraid as they very rarely come up in the UK so keep looking & make the decision BUT as you state you have no DIY skills etc & no patience how are you going to get it done, paying someone probably I'm afraid reading your comments above.
I'm sorry to put the mockers on some of your comments but I've tried to help in other parts so don't take offence ok as we want to help you out but it does need YOU to start by helping yourself by buying tools etc etc & getting to know how to do some work yourself. I am in Derby, but there may be another owner nearer to you to help you or give face to face advice or help as at the moment I am just a little bit overrun with my own personal projects, house, bike, van etc to help you myself.

Never thought to have the seat redone, might be an option.
I'll ask on the US forums which deflectors and possibly driver back rest they suggest and get it shipped over. To make my own i'd need all new tools and the raw materials which will end up costing more than just buying the product and look an obvious DIY job afterwards too. I'd like chrome deflectors to make the bike. 
Pretty sure the drive mod isn't possible DIY either as the shaft needs milling. Putting new seals etc on and removing the wheel is just mechanics which i've done plenty of times so that part of the process isn't difficult. 
With regards to the saddlebags, a frame inside the bag wont solve the problem as i'm looking for a quick release type thing. I'll probably just poke a couple holes in the side and get some leather lace and just tie them on, its quicker to undo a knot than fiddle around with a bolt. Or find some kind of hook I can bolt onto the bag permanently which just hooks over the saddlebag supports.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 2:18 pm

As regards highway revs, I fitted an X-Tre which helped at the top end by removing the rev limiter which seemed to hold me back over 70 mph on the stock VL800.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 2:24 pm

The seat option has been noted a lot of times on the site, google Tony Archer Seats at Huddersfield but take note that he will need to know what you need doing as he will tell you that he's not a bloody mind reader, I do meant that by the way, it isn't a joke!
Ask here about the lowers suggestions first & the back rests are available on E-bay from several suppliers here in the UK as are the lowers I believe, I'll be making my own.
The only thing you need to get professionally done on the diff mod is the shaft alterations & the spacer alteration as most of the rest you can do yourself & by the way although you will read that you will need certain seals etc you only need a few items & you can replace them yourself if you have certain things like circlip pliers, hammer, drifts & of course spanners & a file!
As for the bag fix I used some alloy 2mm plate 4 inches long by 2 inch wide. used a vice & bent the alloy at about 1-1/2 inch down by 90 degreees & then simply did the same in the opposite direction at 1-1/2 inch so you end up with a flattened z shaped piece of alloy that has 2 90 degree bends in it. You make 3(I did anyway) for each bag. Drill 2 holes in each plate, on the same flat section, & then mark the rough location on your bag with a marker pen s that when you remove the bag you will know where to drill through the alloy plate & also through the bag. You simply then either use rivets or nuts n bolts with washers to fasten the plate to the bag.
When you put the bag back on the support bar you may need to turn the bag a few degrees to slip the plates over the bar thus locating the bag to the plate. When you need them off, unzip, twist bag slightly & walk away with bag, simple easy peasy, DONE!
Oh & to stop the alloy marking the chrome I used some inner tube glued inside to both stop any possible movement & any vibrationary noises ok.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 10:20 pm

Try these Eazy  www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moto-Skiveez-Cruiser-Pants-XXL-Padded-Motorcycle-Biker-Underwear-Base-Layers-/232179771991?hash=item360efe2a57:g:fQkAAOSwImRYWCZc
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 11:34 pm

simbo wrote:
Try these Eazy  www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moto-Skiveez-Cruiser-Pants-XXL-Padded-Motorcycle-Biker-Underwear-Base-Layers-/232179771991?hash=item360efe2a57:g:fQkAAOSwImRYWCZc
XXL!?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 9:15 am

They do them in different sizes! It was just the idea I was posting lol I've tried just normal cycling shorts and it makes a big difference as to how long I can ride before my arse aches, I should imagine these are more suitable for motorcycles with the pads being wider.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 10:40 am

Re the saddlebags, on mine I reversed the fender bolts, (replacing them with slightly longer ones), then tightened it up with a nut. That left me with 2 threaded studs  poking out of each side which were  enough to poke through 2 holes in each saddlebag (these were fake leather but with rigid sides).

I just got a plastic thumb wheel to lock them in place..... a 20 second job to loosen each side.

I had lace on bags previously and don't like the way they can wriggle around and scuff paintwork.

I did a write up and pics somewhere, but can't find it sorry. But give me a shout if you need more info :)

Write up
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 1:53 pm

simbo wrote:
They do them in different sizes! It was just the idea I was posting lol I've tried just normal cycling shorts and it makes a big difference as to how long I can ride before my arse aches, I should imagine these are more suitable for motorcycles with the pads being wider.
I know I was joking lol.
Thanks for the replies. I think i'll leave the drive mod, after all i can keep it as reason to upgrade bike eventually (Harley Fat Boy 6 speed).
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 3:39 pm

hi as for the saddlebags I got those glued on to bags does the job great no flapping about easy to remove bags   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Adhesive-Nylon-Clips-Fasteners-for-Wire-Cable-Conduit-Tubing-Sleeving-/121337334008?var=&hash=item1c4044c8f8 works for me
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 7:21 pm

Nifty idea Ardie Wink
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 7:32 pm

ardie wrote:
hi as for the saddlebags I got those glued on to bags does the job great no flapping about easy to remove bags   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Adhesive-Nylon-Clips-Fasteners-for-Wire-Cable-Conduit-Tubing-Sleeving-/121337334008?var=&hash=item1c4044c8f8 works for me

They look just the job. Ordered 2 sizes to play around, got some gorilla glue which should work.
Thanks.
Looked more into lowers and it seems Memphis Shades are the best option, around £90 delivered from the US.
Undecided on a seat pad or under shorts. I may splash out on a driver back rest after a couple more vodkas and then reevaluate. £96 a little steep but they look well made with Suzuki branding. 
Itching for Spring!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 7:42 pm

EazyDuz wrote:

Looked more into lowers and it seems Memphis Shades are the best option, around £90 delivered from the US.

I've been hankering for a set of those for my Street Bob as they look a nice bit of kit Very Happy   I'll wait till the £ improves against the $ though.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 12:37 am

I forgot one mod out. Tank debadge. But i'm not sure on it yet, need to find some pics of bikes with the debadge done to see if I like it.
The Intruder badge is always getting wax stuck in it, will make cleaning easier and might or might not look better.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 12:44 am

Many debadge to hide the identity of their bike. Wear your Intruder badge with pride I say!
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 3:11 am

https://www.suzuki800.com/t4839-back-rest I paid about sixty quid for this at feb 2015 its the best bit of kit  I bought for this bike if you scroll down you will see what its like debadged, was done before I got it easyier to clean alright you can always put the badges on the bags
Back to top Go down
Old Luner
Valued Member
Old Luner

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 3:42 am

EazyDuz wrote:
I forgot one mod out. Tank debadge. But i'm not sure on it yet, need to find some pics of bikes with the debadge done to see if I like it.
The Intruder badge is always getting wax stuck in it, will make cleaning easier and might or might not look better.

For manky dried wax in crevices (oooer) use a soft bristled brush, it won't mark your paintwork and it's done in seconds.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 6:35 am

I did take off the bubble C800 stick-ons to confuse the cc critics! I left the tank badges because the factory ones are classy looking. Only Triumph have better Tank badges IMO. As for cleaning, there are areas on the bike, far harder to keep looking perfect (spokes?) But it's our bike and we can do what we like. Personally I would be wary of creating a rat bike - that's what you do when things get beyond the point of no return!
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 9:51 pm

Ordered the backrest in the link in the OP.
Risers tracking says in Heathrow, new mods on the way!
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 11:26 pm

EazyDuz wrote:
ardie wrote:

I may splash out on a driver back rest after a couple more vodkas and then reevaluate. £96 a little steep but they look well made with Suzuki branding. 
Itching for Spring!
Think I may have one kicking around in the garage - I'll have a dig about for it.  Not 100% sure it will fit your model though - It virtually brand new.  I only used it for a month or two but didn't really find any additional comfort from it.
Back to top Go down
rossmofo
rossmofo

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 10:25 pm

I de-badged mine as the name sounds like a sex-toy lol ...
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 10:50 pm

rossmofo wrote:
I de-badged mine as the name sounds like a sex-toy lol ...

With you on that one - my mechanic told me that if I didn't de-badge the tank, he was going to Sharpie "The Anal" above the badge !!!
Back to top Go down
rossmofo
rossmofo

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 11:41 pm

Psml Dave , ...besides that it's fun when folk ask if its a Harley and I reply no it's a Ducati....
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 2:29 pm

rossmofo wrote:
Psml Dave , ...besides that it's fun when folk ask if its a Harley and I reply no it's a Ducati....

Yeh - I've found that - especially from non-bikers.  I'm thinking of having a sticker on the rear guard that reads "No - it ain't a fuckin' Harley"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few ideas on things I might do   A few ideas on things I might do Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few ideas on things I might do
Page 1 of 1