Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Exhaust popping on decel

Go down 
+3
alfie92
peardrop3
EazyDuz
7 posters
AuthorMessage
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

Exhaust popping on decel Empty
PostSubject: Exhaust popping on decel   Exhaust popping on decel Icon_minitimeSun Apr 09, 2017 4:25 pm

It's always done this but seems worse this year than last. Literally sounds like a shotgun sometimes.
Ive put 2/3rds of a tank of fresh petrol in it since last November, and a bottle of Redex. Im wondering if the old and new fuel mix is causing the popping? It's only started since riding this year and i've made no modifications since then.
It also hunts slightly at idle, but it seems increasing the idle speed has done away with that.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust popping on decel   Exhaust popping on decel Icon_minitimeSun Apr 09, 2017 4:27 pm

A bottle of redex? You are joking I hope? That will do not a lot EasyDuz & it's probably why it's poppin n bangin on the over run?
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust popping on decel   Exhaust popping on decel Icon_minitimeSun Apr 09, 2017 6:58 pm

As Peter says far too much redex, a couple of cap fulls is enough, for the size of the tank.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust popping on decel   Exhaust popping on decel Icon_minitimeSun Apr 09, 2017 7:50 pm

It was doing it before the Redex was put in. I thought a long ride would fix it but it hadnt so I put the redex in after.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust popping on decel   Exhaust popping on decel Icon_minitimeSun Apr 09, 2017 11:04 pm

Is your bike carbed as I can not remember what year it is, if so, does it have stock exhausts and stock air filter?? If not has the carbs been re-jetted?? or ECU re-mapped if Fuel Injected?? When was the last time the carbs (or even throttle bodies) were balanced??
A bottle of Redex will not help matters - "One shot of Redex fuel cleaner is capable of treating a fifty-litre fuel tank, but those who have never used a fuel additive before – or those who own an older car – may wish to use two shots for an intensive clean, particularly during first application". The VL I think has about a 18l tank so you may have overdone it a tad Wink

Back to top Go down
hmac
hmac

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust popping on decel   Exhaust popping on decel Icon_minitimeSun Apr 09, 2017 11:34 pm

Check that the exhaust manifold bolts are tight also check clamps where silencers connect. My VZ was popping  badly on the over run, when I was cleaning the bike I noticed one of the nuts missing from the manifold. New nut fitted and torqued up, no more popping.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust popping on decel   Exhaust popping on decel Icon_minitimeMon Apr 10, 2017 12:59 am

Literally nothing has changed since last season where the bike didnt pop on decel, now it does.
Its FI, manifold bolts are tight, no signs of a leak. It hadnt even been moved from November to March, now its popping and banging
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust popping on decel   Exhaust popping on decel Icon_minitimeMon Apr 10, 2017 2:02 am

I'd start by draining out the fuel - if you didn't use a fuel stabiliser before winter, there's a chance it could be stale fuel, although you have watered it down quite a bit.  I use Briggs & Stratton Fresh Start, I buy it from a mower supplier - it also contains an ethanol inhibitor - something you need to watch out for on an older machine. I always add some to my tank from around November onward when I know I'm not going to be going through as much fuel.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust popping on decel   Exhaust popping on decel Icon_minitimeMon Apr 10, 2017 7:14 pm

Ill run it until the light is on then fill with fresh premium. Maybe the valves need adjusting? Its approaching 14000 miles I think
Back to top Go down
trevski
trevski

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust popping on decel   Exhaust popping on decel Icon_minitimeSat Sep 02, 2017 2:01 pm

I liked the sound of it when mine randomly started popping :) Im putting a new Vance and Hines Straightshot exhaust on it anyway so let's see the difference in sound now Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust popping on decel   Exhaust popping on decel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exhaust popping on decel
Page 1 of 1