Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Clutch advice

Go down 
+3
OldManYam
v-twin
Twojobmick
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2017 6:53 pm

So, Medusa needs a new clutch .... tried adjusting it but it’s slipping in top gear under power so obviously needs replacing.
Just wondered if anyone had any advice on manufacturer’s ( eg EBC etc ) and which would be best.
Also, I think I should change the steel plates and springs whilst I’m at it .... believe it or not,I’ve never had to change a clutch on any bike I’ve had. What’s the opinion on that ?

I did replace the clutch on my girlfriends GT185 back in the late 70’s ( outside, in the pissing rain ..... ( ah, the things we do for love lol!  ) but I have absolutely no memory of it !
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2017 7:55 pm

I doubt if it needs a new clutch Mick, more likely the springs are getting weak, I had the same problem with my VX800. Just took the Clutch Spring fixing bolts out, added a stainless washer on each spring and re-assembled. Job done!!
Or you could get a new set of springs as they are only a few quid each.
I don't think I even drained the oil as the oil is low enough when its on the side stand which is the other side.

Just found the thread where Yam mentions the above in reply to Daves query about his clutch slipping:

https://www.suzuki800.com/t4213-clutch-replacement
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Yes - worth checking if you have a cable clutch like the VX, then there is an adjuster inside where the cable goes into the engine casing (as well as the usual one on the handle bars). Make sure that is adjusted right, as it can cause clutch slipping in top gear if not set up right.

If that's ok, then replacing the springs, or shimming the existing springs with a washer of around 1mm thick will normally sort it. As Andrew says, this can be done carefully without draining the oil.

Also note the VX has a back-limiter clutch so the 8 springs are not all the same. There are 4 for the clutch & 4 for the back-limiter. Don't mix the bolts up as they are different lengths and you can damage the spider if you get it wrong ! (costly).

Hope all goes well with your endeavours.      Clutch advice 3005623951   Yam
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 6:08 pm

Replaced the clutch friction plates & springs today, the plates were about 2/3 rds worn so worth doing. All went Fine, adjusted the clutch at engine end to give required amount of play at lever. All good until I come to put it into neutral - bloody gear lever is solid !
I'm sure it's nothing that I've done whilst fitting the clutcclutch, reckon it's a gear selector / gearbox problem, most likely the problem that manifested itself with this "grinding" sensation which I've mentioned previously and which didn't disappear as I thought it had when the brake pads were replaced . Think it's going to have to go in to a repair shop for diagnosis / repair coz gearboxes are completely beyond me ..... methinks this could be expensive !
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 7:04 pm

Sounds too much of a coincidence, does the clutch work fine?
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 7:25 pm

Yep, clutch is engaging and disengaging OK mate ( had bike running up on hydraulic lift ) . What do you think it could be then Sim ? - it's not like fitting a clutch is complicated and I did it methodically and correctly as far as I know ?
Only thing I forgot to do was to loosen the cable before I fitted the clutch plates but I did that after I'd put it back together and all seemed OK.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 8:13 pm

No idea? Have you tried turning the back wheel whilst trying to select neutral? Or is the lever just jammed solid and won't move either way?
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 8:17 pm

Yep, tried rocking the bike backward & forward - lever is just solid, no movement at all.
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2017 5:13 pm

Update .... and useful information for anyone who’s thinking of replacing the clutch on their 800 ( which is very simple by the way, if you do it right first time ! )

The gear shift rod runs right through the engine block from the left to the right and holds the selector fork which selects the gears. This rod can be pulled out with ease, disconnecting the selector fork from the selector cog and this is what happened to me. Consequently, the shift lever would not move and was solid, locking the bike in gear.
Inside the right hand engine cover, placed to correspond with the selector rod is a dowel built in to the casing. This dowel mates up to the selector rod and pushes against it when the engine cover is in place, preventing the rod from moving and ensuring the selector fork is mated to the cog correctly. Make sure the selector rod is seated as far in as it will go before putting the engine cover back on. I didn’t and ultimately that was what caused the problem detailed above. A very simple error, not costly but time consuming as I had to basically do the job twice, with the exception of replacing the clutch plates, which only took 5 mins anyway.

Hopefully, this bit of advice will prevent another member from making the same mistake. It’s very easy to do but just as easy to avoid doing if you know about it beforehand.

Big thanks to Simbo for making me question myself rather than just chucking the bike in to a repair shop ... Your a top geezer Sim !

PS - job was well worth doing, the clutch is smoother than it has been for a long time and it’s improved the gear change no end too.  thumup
Back to top Go down
yorky
VIP Member
yorky

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Well done Mick ...good to hear its sorted .. Clutch advice 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2017 7:27 pm

yorky wrote:
Well done Mick ...good to hear its sorted .. Clutch advice 3498837457
Cheers Alan  thumup
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2017 9:46 pm

The Vol lives to ride another day  Clutch advice 666713 Clutch advice 3498837457  how many miles on the odo now Mick?
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitimeWed Dec 06, 2017 6:10 pm

simbo wrote:
The Vol lives to ride another day  Clutch advice 666713 Clutch advice 3498837457  how many miles on the odo now Mick?
Just passed 38,500 miles mate  Clutch advice 184121345
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitimeWed Dec 06, 2017 7:26 pm

Hardly run in Wink
Back to top Go down
Dai-Bando
Prospect

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2018 1:30 pm

Thanks for that about to change the clutch in my VX. I'm sure this would have happened to me too. sometimes if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Clutch advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch advice   Clutch advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clutch advice
Page 1 of 1