Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket Empty
PostSubject: Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket   Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 7:32 pm

If you're getting strong whiffs of fuel while riding, it may well be your petrol cap rubber gasket.
Mine when inspected had cracked and hardened. I looked online to find Suzuki DO NOT sell the gasket by itself, instead they expect you to fork out for an entirely new petrol cap.

So instead I took the old gasket off, just two screws then you can pull it off, and measure it.

The stock one is a 36mm ID, 62mm OD. Closest I could find is this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3MM-THICK-VITON-A-FKM-HIGH-TEMP-RUBBER-WASHER-SEALS-DIESEL-PETROL-OIL-RESISTANT/372632387997?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=641648590394&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Which is the same ID but slightly larger OD. I put it on as it was without cutting it to size and there you go. It sits on the tank noticeable more 'cushiony' now for lack of a better word, and after several long rides I can confirm it is sealing properly with no issues at all. Here is a photo after a long ride and removing the cap:

Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket Img_2010

As you can see the fuel is not escaping the cap and no more fuel smells! Hope this helps as it took a while to find a premade gasket, you could of course just buy a sheet of fuel resistant rubber and carve one out yourself also.
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket   Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2020 7:26 am

Nice fix.   Naughty of Suzuki that.  I'd say that is a perishable item, that should be in stock.
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

PostSubject: Re: Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket   Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2020 8:02 pm

Good fix, Suzuki taking advantage of us nice bikers  Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket 437349
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket   Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2020 10:09 pm

We ain't that nice.    You meet the nicest people on a Honda.  Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket 852880
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket   Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2020 12:08 am

In fairness when I was researching the problem, Suzuki aren't alone. Most manufacturers just dont sell the fuel cap gasket as a stand alone part, hence the huge amount of aftermarket gaskets sold on Ebay, none of which are 'OEM' official. Just glad its fixed, i like the smell of petrol but not all the time.
Back to top Go down
ArnoldinIdaho
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket   Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 5:41 pm

My 2003 VS800GL developed a rattling gas cap after about 12 years of riding.  I replaced it with a new one for $60, but eventually the new cap began to rattle also.  A close exam of the cap showed the sharp edges of the sheet metal on the tank were cutting into the little tabs that extend to lock the cap down, decreasing the tightness of the cap against the tank and allowing it to rattle.  My fix was to add two or three of my wife's elastic hair bands around the cap edges.
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket   Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 10:24 pm

Nice one Arnold, it's ideas like that that save people a lot of grief, makes this site so good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket   Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bike smelling of petrol - petrol cap gasket
Page 1 of 1