Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Howdy Ya'll from Dallas, Texas - "The Dad-Garage Find Project"

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
russie

Howdy Ya'll from Dallas, Texas - "The Dad-Garage Find Project" Empty
PostSubject: Howdy Ya'll from Dallas, Texas - "The Dad-Garage Find Project"   Howdy Ya'll from Dallas, Texas - "The Dad-Garage Find Project" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 08, 2023 9:35 pm

Acquired my father's 2001 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL.  He hasn't ridden it since 2008 and been sitting in Garage since last month.  I am currently searching and learning about what all needs to be done to get it back on the road.  I have two hands, a garage full of tools, and love tinkering, and will do what I am capable of doing (minus installing new tires since I don't have a machine to do so).  I don't currently have a money tree planted out back, and I will not pay a shop a ridiculous amount of money to do simple things I am capable of doing before taking it in.

This bike I am calling my "The Dad-Garage Find Project".
Howdy Ya'll from Dallas, Texas - "The Dad-Garage Find Project" Img_2710
Howdy Ya'll from Dallas, Texas - "The Dad-Garage Find Project" Img_9811
Howdy Ya'll from Dallas, Texas - "The Dad-Garage Find Project" Img_9810

russie likes this post

Back to top Go down
theyoungs@gmx.co.uk
Prospect

Howdy Ya'll from Dallas, Texas - "The Dad-Garage Find Project" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy Ya'll from Dallas, Texas - "The Dad-Garage Find Project"   Howdy Ya'll from Dallas, Texas - "The Dad-Garage Find Project" Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2023 4:19 pm

It looks in pretty good shape to me apart from a clean.  Obviously the battery will be shot and needs renewing which is a bit of a bitch to do but certainly doable by someone with patience.  Once the new battery has been fitted, check the coolant level and anti-freeze and if OK, try and fire her up but keep the revs down until all the oil has circulated properly because at present, it will all have drained down to the bottom. 
The next thing to do will be an oil and filter change which should not cost too much money.  The bike obviously rolls but still check the brakes are still operative.  It may be necessary to change the brake and clutch fluid which is another bitch and needs endless amounts of patience.  If the brakes are OK, check all the lights are working properly and replace any bulbs that may need it.  Once the all of the above are done you need to check the gears are all OK and this can be checked statically and if they all engage properly should be OK on the road.  All that's now left is to get the bike road tested, street legal and have fun riding it.  None of the above will cost you an arm and a leg, with the battery being the single most expensive bit of kit and all DIYable.

From Stephen, England.

russie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Howdy Ya'll from Dallas, Texas - "The Dad-Garage Find Project"
Page 1 of 1