Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Project Virago

Go down 
+25
Sapper-JPD
v-twin
Bluesman
smart
DocSjulle
bigmal
OldManYam
Bunso Steel
azcam
peardrop3
Proudtexson
MarcinG
Ken1964
captain crash
Doc Cox
simbo
fat intruder
Jimmyboy
oiler
pledge
typan
Badger
Mr Intruder
Ian800
alfie92
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 8:45 pm

Good evening everyone, a bit more on the ongoing Virago project, went up to Skipton to pick up a 1981 750 Virago and then across to Accrington to pick up a set of XS650 forks, did nearly 500 miles that day but half the fun of the chase is the hunt, the bike is not pristine but has only done 30,000 miles and has not been messed around with, this doesn,t matter as it will be pulled down and rebuilt in the Cafe racer / streetfighter style, have a look at Docs Chops Forum (not me) Virago cafe racer, this is roughly the style I am going for, And, a week later while on Ebay found another Virago, a 1982 750 with only 15000 miles on the clock and in excellent condition, won the bidding as noone else bothered so now have one to rebuild and another to ride, after a couple of mods, !!!! those silencers will have to go along with a few more subtle changes, regards to all Doc Cox, E=MC2

Project Virago Virago23-12-12003_zps0eeeaaf2
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Lovely bike Nigel.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 8:55 pm

I can't see anything
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Link got tad messed up Wink

Linky

Project Virago 20121202Shadow1
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks for making sense of that link Marcin. Project Virago 3498837457

Looks good Nigel, I will look forward to how you transform this bike. Cafe racer, is that right?
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 10:05 pm

Interesting project good luck with it,you have picked up a nice donor by the look of it.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 5:05 pm

Very interesting project Project Virago 3498837457 Will the end result be like this ? If so, It will be very nice indeed.
Project Virago Docschops
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 6:11 pm

Bloody hell that would be a great transformation indeed, what a change that would be
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 8:19 pm

simbo wrote:
Very interesting project Project Virago 3498837457 Will the end result be like this ? If so, It will be very nice indeed.
Project Virago Docschops
Yes that is along the lines of what he is planning I believe, very radical change for sure.
Back to top Go down
Ian800
Valued Member
Ian800

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm loving that. Good luck with the project and I shall watch progress with great interest
Project Virago 102087026
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Always look good with straight bars and rear sets,go for it,that will be a nice ride.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Project virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 7:59 pm

Project Virago 961144965Project Virago 003.......Can you see what it is yet ? this is the one due to get a complete strip down and modified !! was having a look on ebay at exhaust diverters and at those prices would assume they are made of platinum, but found one on there to copy and add some improvements, and it will be electrically operated with a press button operation to simplify things, having a lot of positive feedback, thank you to all that have commented, also give me any ideas you think would fit and will try to incorporate them and give credit to whoevers mod it is, regards to all Doc Cox E=MC2 Project Virago 855947 (Time for slippers cocoa and bed) :sleep:
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 8:44 pm

And your going to turn THAT in to a cafe racer? good luck matey Project Virago 551160305
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Believe me Crash, Doc Cox don't need luck. Watch this space.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Then I will watch with lots of interest Project Virago 184121345
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 8:02 pm

Good evening, yes I agree this will be a challenge, but " If you don,t give it a go you will never know", one of the reasons for choosing the early model Virago was it is a monoshock frame and looks a lot cleaner than shocks for this style of bike, have a close look at the golden tanked Virago above and you can see the lines of mine in it, also a guy in Holland has built one using the original tank and just by raising the rear of the tank about 3" changes the look of the bike, regards Doc Cox E=MC2 Project Virago 855947 Project Virago 158757541
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Project Virago Inspiration   Project Virago Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 8:04 pm

Project Virago Yamaha-virago Project Virago 210272711 Project Virago 855947

Last edited by Doc Cox on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : This is one of the bikes that have fired up my imagination, as you can see the tank has been raised at the back and has had a rear wheel of a Virago fitted in the front, but you will find the cleaner you want a bike the harder it is to do.)
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 8:13 pm

Nice Project Virago 3498837457 That's where the XS 650 forks come into play as well, To lower the front end ?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 8:44 pm

Love that to bits, a real looker & one off for sure.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 8:39 pm

The XS forks are indeed to lower the front end also they are twin discs which will help with the braking as the standard Virago disc isn,t all that hot, would eventually like to fit upside down forks but they are not cheap, not far from us in a village called Purton is a guy called Glen who along with his son has opened a bike shop repairing, servicing and building custom bikes, has won awards with his bikes and believe me they are smart, he is a engineer by trade and it shows, plus he is always willing to have a chat a thoroughly nice guy, have a look at his website......www.rollingartmotorcycles.com or even pop in you won,t be disappointed, regards to all Doc Cox E=MC2 Project Virago 855947
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Interesting project you've got there Doc, I know it can be a pain sometimes, But if possible get as many photo's of the transformation, I'd love to see the bike evolving over time Project Virago 3498837457 Project Virago 65147
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 9:15 am

Doc do you have a loose time scale for the completed or there about completed job?
When I met up with Dave in Swindon recently he was telling me that you found a rotting jeep in a field some time ago and rebuilt it from the ground up and it is now in showroom condition, got any before and after pics of that? Just being nosey, I love proper jeeps
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Good evening everyone, Hi Simbo, don,t worry I will be taking plenty of photos and videos of the transformation of both bikes, really looking forward to getting my teeth into them, will be picking up the low mileage one on friday, Hi Captain Crash, the Jeep I rebuilt is a 1979 CJ7 and took two years and about 1000 hours of time, will put some before and after photos of it on the forum, no time scale for the Virago but it won,t be two years, will be selling the Jeep after Christmas this will then allow me to turn the garage into more of an engineering garage, ask Dave he will tell you what it,s like, in fact I will post a photo of it on the forum for a laugh, well take care everyone regards Doc Cox E=MC2 Project Virago 855947 Project Virago 679156427
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Doc Cox wrote:
will be selling the Jeep after Christmas this will then allow me to turn the garage into more of an engineering garage, ask Dave he will tell you what it,s like
It is the busiest garage I have ever seen, yet is still somehow functional. How the feck he can still lay his hands on any item he wants within seconds amazes me. Project Virago 852880
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 9:11 am

Ah now I get why you have posted pics of two seperate bikes. So you have bought two of them with one being a donor bike?
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi Crash, the tidy one will be mildly modified and the not quite so tidy one will be the complete strip and rebuild, have been very lucky getting these two as the earlier models are getting harder to find, also have two engines I picked up off preloved about two months ago, this is a site worth looking at for a wide range of items and advertising on it is totally free, off to pick up the tidy one tomorrow, (my Christmas has come early Project Virago 1218875559) will be putting more photos on tomorrow, regards to all Doc Cox E=MC2 Project Virago 855947 Project Virago 1772671891
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 6:44 pm

Good evening everyone, have,nt taken all the shots I wanted to, arrived back too late, but will be appraising it tomorrow prior to the tidy up, had it fired up and sounds like a healthy engine, an afternoon of work should see it looking a lot tidier, so until then here is a shot of it on the way home at the new services at Cobham, Project Virago 855947 Project Virago 696333
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 10:21 pm

Project Virago %3Ca%20href=Project Virago Virago21-12-12009_zpsd199a4cb" border="0" />Sorry, Here......Project Virago 2516569736
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 9:29 am

Nice looking bike Doc Project Virago 3498837457 Shouldn't take too much work to get it tidy again Project Virago 696333 , Love those wheels.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 9:38 am

Project Virago 2215087486 beautiful wheels for sure
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks Guys, yes the wheels do look alright, on closer inspection I don,t think the bike has ever seen a British winter due to the lack of corrosion on the whole bike, spent less than half an hour on it this afternoon removing bits and putting another set of bars on and already it has improved the lines, will be working from front to back checking all the wiring, cables etc. the plastic sheathing on the wiring has gone very hard so will be replacing it with Spirap which also looks neater and allows the cable to have a smoother run, and if you ever have problems all you do is unwind it, will also be looking for any inline electrical crimps, these are used to join a few cables together and as they are normally made of copper corrode badly after a few years, will solder them instead and then shrinkwrap them, also the clutch cable needs lubricating and rerouting along with the throttle cable, have some before and after photos and as long as nothing hiccups here goes (and the....garage) Project Virago 855947
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 5:18 pm

Project Virago Virago4-6-13010_zps11f3a490
 Side view Project Virago 855947
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Project Virago Virago28-4-13001_zpsa64084e2
Rear view Project Virago 3823912936
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 5:25 pm

Looks better already Project Virago 3498837457 I'm jealous of that centre stand in a big way .
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Project Virago Virago28-4-13002_zps6b374fca
After the change.  Project Virago 973941
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 5:33 pm

Project Virago Virago002_zps3f01db22
Thanks Simbo, yes it looks a lot better now and the centre stand is a blessing Project Virago 115684958
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 5:36 pm

Project Virago Virago23-12-12008_zps37d30319
These are the bits I removed and changed to give it a cleaner look,  Project Virago 643587
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 5:39 pm

And finally by popular request the inside of my Garage

Project Virago Virago23-12-12007_zpsa58d053c
 Project Virago 3213823784
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 5:40 pm

She looks really good, great platform for your planned modifications. To be honest I would be happy with her as she is but I am really looking forward to your plans unfolding with this bike. Is that front mugDaurd Chrome?
I think you need to go to the car boot sale Project Virago 2740622253
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Doc Cox wrote:
And finally by popular request the inside of my garage Project Virago Virago23-12-12007_zpsa58d053c Project Virago 3213823784
I take it your slim and agile  Project Virago 3213823784 Kinn
el you've got some gear in there ! I think you need an extension Project Virago 852880
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 6:18 pm

captain crash wrote:
I think you need to go to the car boot sale Project Virago 2740622253
For Fucks sake don't suggest that to Nigel, he will come back with more than he takes. Project Virago 2740622253

I spy with my little eye, a Jeep. lol!
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 8:02 pm

Theres a Jeep in there, I think it has been camoflaged very well Project Virago 3213823784
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 8:09 pm

Bear with me Crash, will put some Jeep before and after photos on,..... when I find them Project Virago 641964
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 8:46 pm

This is after a tidy up and big throw out, not slim exactly but agile, although have nearly become stuck a few times, you have to work out a good exit strategy before entering it, Project Virago 53847
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 3:46 pm

The bike is certainly looking good,well done.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 7:31 pm

Project Virago 536894Thanks Alfie, will be doing a few more subtle clean ups this weekend, the indicators will be replaced with some smaller bullet units that Glen from motorcycle art can supply, does anyone know of a firm that does smaller rear no. plates as that EU stickered one has to go, yes the front mudguard is chrome, will also be looking at modifying and fitting the XS front end, Happy New Year to you all, regards Doc Cox. E=MC2.......
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 11:11 pm

Nigel I always get my plates from HERE although you will find plenty of others on the net.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
Nigel I always get my plates from HERE although you will find plenty of others on the net.

I used them for mine as well and they did a good job Project Virago 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Thanks Dave, here is another one I prepared earlier   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 8:11 pm

Project Virago Custom-yamaha-virago-1
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 8:18 pm

Now that is desirable in a very big way Project Virago 210272711 Project Virago 210272711 Project Virago 210272711
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Project Virago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project Virago
Page 1 of 13Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next