Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Project Virago

Go down 
+25
Sapper-JPD
v-twin
Bluesman
smart
DocSjulle
bigmal
OldManYam
Bunso Steel
azcam
peardrop3
Proudtexson
MarcinG
Ken1964
captain crash
Doc Cox
simbo
fat intruder
Jimmyboy
oiler
pledge
typan
Badger
Mr Intruder
Ian800
alfie92
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Project Virago - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Project Virago - Page 3 Virago28-4-13002_zps6b374fca much better, Project Virago - Page 3 184121345 slowly but surely gaining another style, Project Virago - Page 3 3005623951
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Have just realised I need to put some air in my truck tyre, Project Virago - Page 3 474255 Project Virago - Page 3 Virago28-4-13003_zpscbe4032b another area that needs sorting, the wiring rats nest, a lot of manufacturers do this on thier bikes, try to cram as much as possible into the headlight, will be fitting a sportster headlight so all the wiring will be extended and the junction blocks will all be stripped cleaned and put under the tank.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Another project, an electric bike using a stana stairlift motor and gearbox, this was ideal as the motor fits a treat inline in the frame, took it for a test ride the other day and it ran well !!! too well, ran fine for a while the motor was so powerfull it would set off in top gear no problem, but !!! it was so torquey it bent the front outer drive sprocket, this is an easy problem to fix so hopefully I will be using it to get to work on in the near future, regards to all Doc Cox, E=MC2 Project Virago - Page 3 Virago28-4-13004_zps582a4d23
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 8:53 pm

Be cool to see how it looks with the new headlight and rear light fitted and a new smaller plate will be so much better
Love the push bike, thats real vision Project Virago - Page 3 102087026
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 9:06 pm

how fast do you recon the electric bike goes seems like a good way to get to workProject Virago - Page 3 3498837457
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 9:15 pm

fat intruder wrote:
how fast do you recon the electric bike goes seems like a good way to get to workProject Virago - Page 3 3498837457

Project Virago - Page 3 428386 What powers the motor?
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 7:49 pm

The motor is powered by 36v lithium batteries, still have to fabricate a box for them, don,t know how fast it will go as the sprocket gave way first Project Virago - Page 3 657772, but will keep you all updated with the progress, regards to all Doc Cox E=MC2
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Good evening everyone, have been getting more parts for the Virago, found this article in an old Back Street Heroes, this uses the throttle parts from a mid "70,s" Honda 125 Sport and lets you run the cable through the bars making the control layout much tidier, just waiting for a set of bars from Ebay to come now, will be taking photo,s as the mod, takes place as this will involve some machining and work to be done on the throttle, so for the meantime will leave you with the diagram and parts photo,s, regards to all DProject Virago - Page 3 Throttlevirago18-5-13008_zps61a64e93
oc Cox, E=MC2 Project Virago - Page 3 143088812Project Virago - Page 3 Throttlevirago18-5-13001_zps32e44930
Project Virago - Page 3 Throttlevirago18-5-13004_zps45200d73
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 10:43 pm

That top picture took me back lol Honda SS50 Throttle holder, One of my mates had an SS50 when we were younger, we all had fs1e's and used to leave him behind, then when he arrived ten minutes later, we'd all piss on his engine! boy did that bike stink!! His dad was a traffic sergeant in the local plod so he was never allowed to do anything naughty Project Virago - Page 3 1993399755
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 10:55 am

Thats interesting Nigel, this little project of yours sounds like it is really well thought out from every single angle Project Virago - Page 3 184121345
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Sounds like a good project Nigel,good luck with it,as CC says this little project of yours sounds like it is really well thought out from every single angle Project Virago - Page 3 184121345
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Thanks guys, things are going a little slower at the moment due to having a kitchen refit, but still trying to do a little bit every day, have just purchased an unusual silencer off ebay, looked like a Honda 400 exhaust and it was the shape I wanted, but when it arrived I found the end cap was like an inverted dished washer with an acorn nut in the middle so in the name of investigation undid the nut and found another adjustable plate for sound and back pressure variation, will psot some photo,s in a while to see if anyone recognises the make as it has no name on it, regards to all Doc Cox, E=MC2 Project Virago - Page 3 143088812
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 11:09 pm

So does that mean it has an in built lollipop from new on the pipe?
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 7:05 pm

Sorry Crash, no lollipop, but things get a bit more intriguing, they say a picture can paint a thousand words, so...... here goes, here is the exhaust as I received it, and if anyone can identify it I will gladly sendProject Virago - Page 3 Viragoexhaust29-5-13006_zpsf747bafd them a lollipop
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 7:07 pm

This is a rear view of the exhaust, this is when things started getting interesting......Project Virago - Page 3 Viragoexhaust29-5-13007_zps5e328ba1
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 7:09 pm

This shows the rear diffuser cone removed and what I thought were adjustable baffles !!........Project Virago - Page 3 Viragoexhaust29-5-13008_zps8cbf7d4a
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 7:13 pm

But, on removing the screws this is what I found inside, this could easily be made into an adjustable pipe by elongating the screw holes and using M6 bolts instead......Project Virago - Page 3 Viragoexhaust29-5-13009_zps80ce0a66
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 7:16 pm

This long baffle goes right down the pipe and is clamped onto the exhaust pipe along with the outer exhaust tube.....Project Virago - Page 3 Viragoexhaust29-5-13010_zps11fc95ab
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 7:31 pm

The inner tube looks as if it sends the exhaust gas on a longer route which allows it to cool and quieten down ( not yet sure how much yet Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ) this could make quite an interesting sound, wonder what a pair of these on an intruder would sound like ? Project Virago - Page 3 210272711, also there is no absorbtion packing in there, well guys it,s over to you to see if you recognise it, regards Doc Cox E=MC2.....Project Virago - Page 3 Viragoexhaust29-5-13011_zps1b73bcba PS. judging by the amount of oil in the pipe whatever it was fitted to had badly worn rings or it was a two stroke.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 9:36 am

Project Virago - Page 3 Virago14-6-13003_zpsa55b2efa
Project Virago - Page 3 Virago14-6-13004_zpsdff224ef[
/URL]
Project Virago - Page 3 Virago14-6-13007_zpsde854b80
Project Virago - Page 3 Virago14-6-13006_zpse65a25e5
Good morning, have been doing a bit more in depth work on the bike, this involved removing the toolbox to look into fitting the twin battery set up and found this horror story, this is the regulator for the alternator and the contacts in the connecting block had arced out, will be replacing this with a heavy duty set of contacts and a good slug if vaseline for waterproofing, this could possibly happen to other makes of bikes so if you can,t see your regulator it might not be a bad idea to check it !!! could save a lot of aggro in the future, also found a good way to remove ten pounds of ugly fat from the bike....... took the exhaust off,  Project Virago - Page 3 Virago14-6-13013_zpsb1a688b8    Project Virago - Page 3 Virago14-6-13017_zpsd55edc22looking better already, regards to all Doc Cox
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 7:52 pm

Evening all, found this on one of the Virago forums and thought it would be of interestProject Virago - Page 3 Butch-engine
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 11:36 am

Bloody hell thats unusaul, bet his bike flys Project Virago - Page 3 3492671266
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi Crash, if the engines in his plane I would think the rest of it is pretty  much static, this wouldn,t be allowed in England as the air worthiness people are a lot stricter, still full marks to the guy for innovative thinking, this had me thinking for another project when I get older, not much older mind, driving the truck yesterday and an old couple came past in a very tidy Morgan, the one with the V twin JAP, engine on the front, sounded really good, I would think that a Virago engine would make a good power plant for one of these, it would have to be fitted longways for the transmission but would not present a problem as the shaft drive would make it easier for the  drive to the back wheel, have been drawing up some plans last week for a Buell type exhaust system for the bike, this would also overcome the unequal exhaust pipe configuration and be fairly easy to build, will put up the schematics when I am happy with them, also been doing a bit of work on the seat, this involved reprofiling the the seat foam with my wifes electric carver and worked a treat, here are the before and afters, this will now become a single seat.
Project Virago - Page 3 Viragoseat17-9-13005_zps74f3351a
Project Virago - Page 3 Viragoseat17-9-13006_zps7a9f554d
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Good work on the seat Doc electric carving knifes are the best for this sort of thing I am told. Will you use the original seat and pull it in tight or have to recover it completely
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 8:49 pm

Nice job Doc Project Virago - Page 3 2170595768 it looks like the profiler shape.
Back to top Go down
oiler
Saint Oiler the 1st
oiler

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 7:15 am

Quite amazing what some of you guys get up to. In my youth, I owned both a 535, and a Virago 750. Delightful machines, tho I only ever rode and polished. I must never forget though, that I once oiled a clutch cable, although that's not quite in your league. As confession is said to be good for the soul, let me add that I once inadvertently oiled the brake pads on my 750. Did nothing for its stopping power, and I had to rush (very carefully indeed) to my usual 'bike shop, where they kindly replaced the pads. In case anyone's wondering, it was one of those late autumn jobs, of dousing the bike in WD40. I had hoped to be skilled enough to avoid the pads, I wasn't. Nowadays my pads are well covered.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 9:54 am

Not totally sure about the seat yet Crash, will be having a look at the seat later on today to decide on the course of action, yes it does have shades of the profiler seat in, looks like I will be touching up on my sewing skills Simbo, sounds like your brake lubrication was more of an accident than on purpose Colin, and at least they wouldn,t squeak, the shed is virtually finished now , shelves and solar powered electricity to do, Project Virago - Page 3 1218875559 will be putting some more pics today, regards to you all Doc Cox E=MC2
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 7:13 pm

Project Virago - Page 3 Th?id=H.4740335079260869&w=262&h=143&c=7&rs=1&pid=1    Found this on the net, this was a custom Virago built by John Reed alias Uncle Bunt back in the 80,s an incredible piece of customising, will try to find some more pics.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 7:13 pm

Project Virago - Page 3 Wild-custom-gold-yamaha_qhP5P_3868
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Project Virago - Page 3 Wild-custom-gold-yamaha_6SORp_3868_530x247
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Project Virago - Page 3 Wild-custom-gold-yamaha_e42d4_3868
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 7:18 pm

Project Virago - Page 3 1591
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Project Virago - Page 3 1592
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 7:25 pm

Thats bloody amazing, the work they have put in to that is unreal. If your virago comes anywhere close to that when you have finished your cafe Racer customization then you will have a big wet patch next to it and that will be my dribble and drool, I will try not to dribble on your bike though Laughing 
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 8:38 pm

Not my cup of tea Project Virago - Page 3 804997 The attention to detail is outstanding though! Must have spent a bloody fortune!
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Cleaning it would be easy because you would never take it out on the chance that it could get dirt on it so you would just need to get the wife to dust it Project Virago - Page 3 2740622253
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 9:05 pm

The attention to detail is amazing, but, he was commisioned by Yamaha to promote the new Virago and was given the engine and unlimited funds to build it, the engraving on the cases was done by Don Blocksidge who as far as I know is still going, he has restored the bike recently and is putting it back on show again. Project Virago - Page 3 15970-johnreed-l
Back to top Go down
oiler
Saint Oiler the 1st
oiler

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 9:17 pm

I feel the heart palpitations of pure lust, when I look at that bike (and no, I'm not too old for lust).
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 9:19 pm

I wonder if that's where the company that did the cream volusia with all the engraving and gold parts got there idea's from? (sorry can't remember their name?) It's the sort of bike you could spend hours looking at and still not see it all.
Back to top Go down
oiler
Saint Oiler the 1st
oiler

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 9:24 pm

Sad for Simbo, he can't remember things. His mind's falling apart if you ask me, just a youngster too. I'm sixty-six years old, and I still remember sex (quite clearly). What is it with young people these days ?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 9:52 pm

Oiler wrote:
Sad for Simbo, he can't remember things. His mind's falling apart if you ask me, just a youngster too.
Project Virago - Page 3 3993731222 Blacksmith motoring company!
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 10:03 pm

Project Virago - Page 3 2740622253 
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 8:41 pm

Evening everyone, haven,t put much on recently as have been busy sorting out family business, now that,s over I can start putting a bit more work in on the bike, does anyone know of a simple programme where I can make a simple line drawing of the Virago and then add or remove mods to it,study
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 8:53 pm

Marcin our design wizard may do, I will pm him. Project Virago - Page 3 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks Dave,:cmate:
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Hmm.

Inkscape is a great vector tool but adding/modifying could be a pain the the butt.

Give me a side photo of the bike and I'll show you what it can do.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Have been looking on Ebay for some bits and found this good looking bike in the international sellers section, will be starting work on mine again this weekend as the shed and garage are nearly sorted, have taken four truck bed fulls to the recycling centre so far,   javascript:;      javascript:;
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 8:36 pm

Hey Doc wheres all the photos gone? This thread used to get a lot of views and its a shame because when the photos are missing it takes away part of the reason why so many people used to keep looking at it but have stopped.  Shame really
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 8:59 pm

I don,t know Crash, will have to ask Daves advice, its a puzzle to me
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Looks like you moved your photos Nigel.

I'm guessing that you created a folder called "Project Virago" on your photobucket and moved all photos there?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project Virago   Project Virago - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project Virago
Page 3 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next