Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

* I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *

Go down 
+9
pledge
Twojobmick
gazz
Bluesman
alfie92
superdane
Freemo
fat intruder
Mr Intruder
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

* I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Empty
PostSubject: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 3:27 pm

I want apes on my bike, I want them so bad its starting to crack me up * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * 880307
Numerous times I have seen members have them fitted on here, but when I ask for info I never get a response. I can only presume this is because they have not done it themselves but instead paid a shop to do it for them.
I have now found where I can get the cables for the C800 at different lengths and I have a set of apes lined up but it's the electrics that have always put me off doing it. I have searched all over the net but never have I ever read anywhere any detailed instructions on extending the electrics.
If anyone knows the best way of doing it or if there is a kit available or if there are instructions anywhere can they please let me know. If I don't get any info back I will post a complete how to with pics within the next few months but I would much rather not go in to this blind if I could help it.

Last edited by Mr Intruder on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 11:24 pm

im crap at electrics but they do kits for HDs wich are plug and play to extend the harness for controls although there also coulor coded for HDs so mabe no good . do you know anyone thats an electrision my mate had probs with the wireing loom on his bike so he asked a mate that we both know whos an electrision (and rides bikes ) he came round and sorted it for him and made it look easy if you know sumone like that they might be able to come up with some idears for you or at least be able to tell you what youl need to get the job done maybe do you a few drawings to help you do it could be a bit of a bitch if you have to start getting out a soldering iron to make up your own harnesses and take quite a lot of time sorry cant be of more help good luck with the prodject
Back to top Go down
Freemo
Freemo

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 12:05 am

Depending what size apes you are going for will obviously determine what extensions are required? Mine for example, I have 3" risers and 16" apes. I re-routed the clutch cable with no need to extend, the brake line is 9" over stock, electrical cables 8" over and if I remember right I made a throttle cable approx 9" over. As for the electric cables, it was a case of cutting and soldering in the extra length, I used cable taken from a scrap car loom. Also when putting the extended cables in if you can't get the same diameter always go for thicker never thinner as the higher resistance may have effects on operation. I'll try and sort some pics tomorrow
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:39 am

Cheers guys any info or suggestions really appreciated.
I have no issue at all doing the wiring myself but its always good to know when someone has done it before as issues are highlighted. If the only way is to splice in and extend then thats cool, I know what I am up against in that respect now.
I have worked out wear I want my hands and because of that will only be looking at about a 12" ape but if I do decide afterwards that I want them a little higher I can always pop the 2" risers back on.
Any pics that you have Martin will be appreciated, even if they are an after install as it all helps me envisage what I will be up against better.
Back to top Go down
superdane
superdane

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 6:19 pm

I didnt have to extend to extend the original wiries on my C800 K8. I have a 11 inch. ape on my bike and i routed the wires inside the handlebar.

* I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * DSC07917
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Cracking job SD I noticed you have two bells on your frame,protection from both sides.The bars look just right,without being over the top.Well thought out.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 9:24 pm

I'd like apes but would not want to extend cables or electrics. 10" might just about do it using what I've got.
Back to top Go down
gazz
gazz

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 9:32 pm

You really want to splice wires into the loom to extend them, as these cables will be exposed along the bars, so a plug and play solution would leave a big ugly connector block sitting against the handle bars,

But when you cut and solder in the cable extensions, you can make the wiring loom look pretty much like it's not been altered, especially if you sleve the wiring loom with some nice over braid to totally hide the heat shrunk joins,

of course, if your soldering isn't upto scratch, then please get someone else to do it for you, as it will cause no end of problems when you get a dry joint comming appart as your riding down an unlit street at night, and sods law the joint that fails will be the headlight power feed,
Back to top Go down
gazz
gazz

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 9:37 pm

i guess if you dont want to extend the cables and wires, you'll have to stick to a pretty low ape height,

tho as the stock bars are pretty wide, if you go for narrow apes you may get the height you want,

but your never going to get this far on stock cable lengths....
* I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Ape-hangers
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 1:58 pm

That looks like self crucifiction to me. I know it's Easter an all that but c'mon !

And he must have really hairy hands, he's got pony tails on his wrists !! * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * 2343124779
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 2:29 pm

That's idiotic.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Do his armpits smell ? Thats ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
hector 19
hector 19

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 8:03 pm

how the bloody hell doe's that work * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * 551160305
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 5:29 am

Thanks Superdane & Gazz some good advice on here thanks guys, I will order the apes and cables and crack on with it very soon. I wish I could get away with your bars SD but from the 2009 models the cables were shortened so I have no choice other than extend wiring and change the cables. I think I will order a set of 12" bars, I just need to work out the width and pull back I want.
Back to top Go down
ozarkmtngrow
ozarkmtngrow

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 1:48 am

My bikes a 02 vl800, made my apes, 11 1/2" at risers, 14" tall 32" end to end. Just rerouted the wires and cables. Had to take brake line out of keeper by fender so it wouldn't bind but that was it.* I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * 37818111
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 2:05 am

Mr I is modding his at the moment but he has a 2010 bike and they have much shorter cables
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *   * I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! * Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

* I Want Apes For Suzuki C800 - Help! *
Page 1 of 1