Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spotlight Wiring

Go down 
+4
alfie92
bigmal
captain crash
qqn40z
8 posters
AuthorMessage
hogbos
hogbos

Spotlight Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Spotlight Wiring   Spotlight Wiring Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi, I am in the process of wiring a set of spotlights on my bike. When looking at wiring options I found there is a spare wire in the headlight that is live when ignition is turned on. I am assuming this is a spare auxilliary wire for an accessory such as this. Am I correct in this assumption. All help will be greatly received. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Spotlight Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight Wiring   Spotlight Wiring Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 9:45 pm

You can certainly pick up a feed from that socket.... I did, to power a 12v accessory socket for my satnav & phone.

But then that's a low draw on the circuit.  Would there be an isssue if you were powering two very bright spots? Would they need a relay?

There are other folks on here who know far more about lecky stuff so hopefully they'll chime in.....
Back to top Go down
qqn40z
qqn40z

Spotlight Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight Wiring   Spotlight Wiring Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 3:00 pm

You would probably get away with LED spots, but other than that I would use a relay wired from the battery or a piggy back fuse, with a switch taken from the auxiliary supply in the headlamp bucket.  There are plenty switch / relay looms and piggy back fuses are available on ebay around the £25 and £2.50 mark.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Spotlight Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight Wiring   Spotlight Wiring Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 6:14 pm

The current supplied by this connector comes through the ignition switch and is fused with at 10 amp in the fuse box. This is the stock connector that is in place as fitted by Suzuki for the use of a lightbar. There have been some issues reported over the years because of this connection being abused but this has always been because of to much draw being taken at this point as could happen at any point.

The following has been copied
The relationship between volts and amps is best described in the following mathematical formula: volts x amps = watts. So, to find out how many amps it takes to power a 12-volt bulb, you must first know the number of watts the bulb puts out. Then, you divide the number of watts by the number of volts to get the number of amps.

For anyone that is cleverer than me If they could work out how many amps/watts the headlight uses when switched to the full beam which I believe is 60 watts that would potentially give the figure of how many Amps/Watts are left available for the additional powered items that use the auxiliary power connector found in the headlight bucket for use with either a headlight bar or additional accessories run from the female auxiliary connector
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Spotlight Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight Wiring   Spotlight Wiring Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Good info Crash. So I guess that means if full beam is 60 watts, that's using 60/12 = 5 amps, leaving you 5 amps free... in other words another 60 watts.

Just had a quick google, and quite a few spotlights were 55 watts FOR ONE, so 110 for both.... too much!

That would back up waht John said about maybe looking at LED.......
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Spotlight Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight Wiring   Spotlight Wiring Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 6:32 pm

Thanks Mal Spotlight Wiring 184121345 
Hmm seems strange that the stock Suzuki lightbar that this socket was designed for would only be 60 watts in total, maybe I have done something wrong slightly, not sure what thio?
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

Spotlight Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight Wiring   Spotlight Wiring Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 3:34 pm

When I fitted my spot lights I made a new circuit from the battery to a relay and fuse for safety,the spots are also wired up so when I put the main beam on the spots come on.
Back to top Go down
petetesch
petetesch

Spotlight Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight Wiring   Spotlight Wiring Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 4:08 pm

My driving lights were wired by an autoelectrician using the connector in the headlight. He first tested the power required at idle and the battery still charged. He said all was ok.
Back to top Go down
hogbos
hogbos

Spotlight Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight Wiring   Spotlight Wiring Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 4:34 pm

I used the auxilliary wire when I fitted the bar and all works fine.
With searching for info on that wire it looked like it was its own power 
source with a 10 amp fuse. Therefore I am assuming if the fuse doesnt
blow then my wiring wont burst into flames. All works fine so far.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Spotlight Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight Wiring   Spotlight Wiring Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 3:53 pm

I agree, the axillary power point is where I have mine, after all that's what it is actually there for. Spotlight Wiring 3498837457  Any one such as Alfie that has the power run directly from the battery through a relay is doing a great job, which is always advisable where you feel you are unsure or have personal doubt. Spotlight Wiring 65147
Back to top Go down
PandS
PandS

Spotlight Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight Wiring   Spotlight Wiring Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 11:14 pm

Hi All
Hope there is someone out there who can help
I have fitted spots to Black Beauty and looking here I sense the best way to wire them up is through a switch and relay via an inline fuse straight from the battery.
My question is
What sort of switch is best and where to fit it for ease of use
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Spotlight Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight Wiring   Spotlight Wiring Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 11:30 pm

I actually fitted a rocker switch to the underside of the off side, "side panel". Nobody can see it but it is easily reached while riding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spotlight Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotlight Wiring   Spotlight Wiring Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spotlight Wiring
Page 1 of 1