Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New panniers fitted... Write up and pics

Go down 
+7
DaveC
Lowey
stingray
Mr Intruder
alfie92
simbo
bigmal
11 posters
AuthorMessage
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Empty
PostSubject: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 9:54 pm

Pannier mounting
Here are the panniers I scored on ebay for just £50. They're only fake leather, but look really nice.
New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Imagejpg5-1

The beefy looking chrome belt buckle is just decorative. For convenience, they undo with plastic snap buckles like you get on holdall's etc.

And although the seller didn't mention it, the straps can be locked with a small padlock.. Bonus!

New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Imagejpg6-1

The rest of this thread looks at how I fitted them...

The panniers came with these strong looking tubular brackets, which I had planned to sandwich between the fender rail and sissy bar rail. So I  attempted to chop the lugs down to 12mm or so, but despite much filing and fettling, I couldn't get the cut face dead square..... Even half a mil throws out the angle of the bracket by miles. (And of course each one was out by a different amount).  And I only discovered the errors in my redneck fabrication after I'd lovingly primed and top coated them.

New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Imagejpg2-3

So, back to square one.... Decided to use some 4mm flat bar I had knocking around ...  sanded, primed and coated satin black. Cross rails are some bright plated metal straps that I 'found', and with a rolled top edge, they're nice and strong, and  I bought some 10mm nylon spacers to line up cross rail...

New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Imagejpg1-11

You'll notice the fender rails have a little dimple where the bolts pass through, so to get the vertical hangers to sit right, I added one washer in the front and a thicker spacer at the back.  The vertical hangers sit very nicely, and provide enough clearance so the sissy bar rail doesn't rub on the fender rail.

New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Imagejpg11

Hats off to Sim and others who in other posts discussed  drilling out the captive nut of the front fender bolt on each side and flipping the fender bolts round, which I've copied. This has allowed me to bolt up the fender, fender rail, sissy bar rail and pannier hangers nice and tight, whilst leaving the tails of the fender bolts sticking through. Here's the finished bracket... I may leave the cross rails bright...

New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Imagejpg3-1

The only slight snag was that the non suzuki sissy bar was already a poor size for the fender rails, and needed even more packing out with this mod. Looking online, stainless spacers were steep! And fiddling a stack of washers into a fiddly gap normally ends up with them all over the floor. So mixed a drop of araldite and glued up some stacks which don't look as good as a single spacer but were easy to use.

New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Imagejpg4-1

The scary part was drilling 9mm holes in my brand new (to me) bags, so buggered around with a crummy plywood template, to try various hole positions. (Behave yourself Dave, that's not what I meant!).

New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Imagejpg7-1

Especially when touring I don't want to have to dig out a spanner to unbolt the panniers, so I looked for a more elegant version of wingnuts, and found these beauties.... 

New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Imagejpg8

From how the previous owner had drilled the panniers, it looks like they are designed to just hang on the top bolts, and merely push against the cross rail.  From a quick test run today, they appear fine and dandy. Might araldite a stainless washer to the inside face of each bag to "help me find the hole in the dark."

Because the 'thumbscrews" sit on the inside of the bag,  they're not visible when the bags locked. So hopefully some scally won't think "hmmm... They look easily  removeable".

Spain here we come...!
New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Imagejpg10

New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Imagejpg9
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 10:23 pm

Firstly Mal, What a fabulous write up with pics and "how to"  New panniers fitted... Write up and pics 65147 Secondly, Those are nice bags you've got there! they really suit the bike and at £50 what a Bargain!!! Thirdly, Bikes looking good mate! a credit to you  New panniers fitted... Write up and pics 102087026 
ps, where'd you get those little locks from? I could do with a pair to deter the afore mentioned scally.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 10:40 pm

Good write up Mal,well explained.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks chaps thanks chaps, I enjoyed doing it.

The little lock is great sim, because it's got the flexible cable part, it's easy to slip through.  it's one I had in stock... Got it from t k max. Probably none in stock now, but will check this week... I'll give you a shout if I find any. If not, if you google or ebay luggage lock you get similar items, although most have a rigid hasp, rather than a cable :(
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 11:05 pm

Hey note to sim or anyone looking for little cable locks.... Wouldn't keep out a scally with a pair of bolt cutters but found some on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201100581319?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D201100581319%26_rdc%3D1
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 11:16 pm

What a great write up, great bags as well. Love the snap buckles, in fact I am impressed from A of this thread through to Z. Nice one Mal.  New panniers fitted... Write up and pics 2170595768  New panniers fitted... Write up and pics 276246  New panniers fitted... Write up and pics 102087026
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

PostSubject: Re: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2014 11:56 pm

New panniers fitted... Write up and pics 3498837457 Absolute bargain Mal, they look superb, I'm well impressed with the luggage & your write-up  New panniers fitted... Write up and pics 996187811
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 8:37 am

Very good write up and photo's I enjoyed reading it, the bags look very good and suit your bike well, they also like good quality items.
Back to top Go down
DaveC
DaveC

PostSubject: Re: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 11:55 am

Very nice job Mal, well done! And at a bargain price to boot  New panniers fitted... Write up and pics 2170595768 
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 4:37 pm

Good job there Mal. Has the good lady tried sitting on the bike now you've put the bags on as it looks to me like the top of the bag covers the footrest & she may have to have her legs broken to make them fit the shape  New panniers fitted... Write up and pics 2343124779 
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Hi Mal
Good deal and a hell done write&work skils… ilis
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Thanks guys. No need for leg breaking peter, the front edge of the bag drops away on quite an angle, so she can get her stubby little trotters in fine Wink
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 4:05 pm

You just like living dangerously don't you Mal!  New panniers fitted... Write up and pics 3213823784  New panniers fitted... Write up and pics 3213823784  New panniers fitted... Write up and pics 3213823784
Back to top Go down
JJW
JJW

PostSubject: Re: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:39 pm

Bigmal,

Great Job on the bag mount, write-up and pictures!

I like the supports and easy mounting.

PS: You might want to put some aluminum tape on the bottom of the muffler side pannier.
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:01 pm

Great write up Mal, and looks like you got a bargain there - well worth the investment in 'tinkering time' !

New panniers fitted... Write up and pics 3005623951  Yam
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New panniers fitted... Write up and pics   New panniers fitted... Write up and pics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New panniers fitted... Write up and pics
Page 1 of 1