Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress

Go down 
+10
Mr Intruder
Bugsy
bagtoracer68
peardrop3
hawktheslayer
yorky
OldManYam
simbo
johnboss
bigmal
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 9:56 pm

Hmmmmm.... Slow progress.

First attempt at spraying the outer was disappointing. Dull colour, orange peel clear coat.

So last week I flatted it down with 600 grit then 1000 grit to remove some clear coat but leave the blue.

Then today I got another can of blue mixed up and had another bash.

I'd looked at a few tutorials online, and my technique was better.  Needs a buff, but it's coming along...

I'll bore everyone with a full write up when it's all finished, but here's a work in progress shot...

Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 DSC_0173
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 10:33 pm

Looks good!  Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 184121345 it's not the best weather for spraying for sure! when I did my mudguard, I just lathered the clearcoat on as thick as possible (6 coats) and then rubbed all the orange peel effect smooth with 2000 grade wet n dry till it was flat and smooth, then I buffed it up with rubbing compound and t-cut before a final polish, came out ok for a rattle can job.

ps. go easy on the edges if you do what I did and use plenty of lube in the water (soap)
Back to top Go down
bagtoracer68
bagtoracer68

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 10:36 pm

Looks a monster job, but obviously turned out great Mal! I'd never have the patience for all that; I'm especially not good at painting! lgd
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 10:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback Barry, and cheers for the advice sim. Like you say this weather stinks! I've had my B&M bargain stores halogen heater cranked up to number three in the garage Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 852880
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 1:57 am

That's coming along a treat Mal.  Looks much better than you described the other day. Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 2170595768
Back to top Go down
Bugsy
Bugsy

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 7:08 am

Just read through this thread with my morning coffee.

Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 184121345 Looking good Mal

Without teaching 'granny to suck eggs' you need a minimum of 20º to spray paint.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 10:08 am

Yes I'm sure you're right Gary, and I'm not convinced my garage heater is bringing it up to that ....

Actually I'm pretty pissed off this morning... The artificial lighting is poor in my garage, and when I rolled the bike out today and held the fairing next to it, the colours not a good match. Far too much turquoise in it.

The shop isn't open today, and I'm out all tomorrow. But I'm going to give them a call and get them to make up another can. It's a bloody shame because the first can was a pretty good match... Just my technique wasn't!

What do you think chaps, will just a gentle keying of the clear coat be ok for yet another coat of blue to adhere? Or have I got to take it right back?

This fairing's going to weigh about 6 tons it's got so much paint on it!!

Someone tell me it's 8 weeks before we go to France..... I'm running out of bloody time here!!
Back to top Go down
Bugsy
Bugsy

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 10:22 am

Wet flat will be fine provided you don't break through the clear-coat. If you do and because the paint is new and hasn't been baked you will almost certainly have problems with the edges lifting where you have broken through.

If that happens it's better to take it way back and start again Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 804997

With regards to temperature when it's cold or damp, I have taken stuff indoors to get them nice and warm, then quickly in the garage to paint and, as soon as it's tacked-off and you think you can get away with the smell get the painted parts back into the warm of the house.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 10:28 am

Yes, pillion Mrs just said (amazingly) "it's a problem in the garage, paint it in the house... ". I'm thinking kitchen with extractor hood on full blast!!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 10:42 am

bigmal wrote:
Yes, pillion Mrs just said (amazingly) "it's a problem in the garage, paint it in the house... ".  I'm thinking kitchen with extractor hood on full blast!!

police  You'll stink the house out!! do it in Summer when it's warmer and leave it for now. plus we'll be able to laugh at it in France Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 2343124779
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 10:49 am

That's probably not a bad idea. But don't laugh too loud you bastards Wink

John and debs will be leaving an 8 car gap between us on the ride down to Portsmouth, so they can pretend they don't know me Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 852880
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 11:21 am

Good one Mal, coming along nicely. Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Bugsy
Bugsy

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 11:24 am

bigmal wrote:
Yes, pillion Mrs just said (amazingly) "it's a problem in the garage, paint it in the house... ".  I'm thinking kitchen with extractor hood on full blast!!

Big mistake, you could ask how I know this sssmily

One way to get a new kitchen, of course.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 11:25 am

Ok, "how do you know this"?
Back to top Go down
Bugsy
Bugsy

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 11:44 am

Rainy November day, desperate to get some bits painted on a resto I was doing.

Utility room, loads of plastic sheeting all over floor and 'white' goods.

Spraying away until the air became a fog and SWMBO shouting out "christ, that stuff stinks" It was creeping under the door.

It worked though but never again. You could smell cellulose for days afterwards.

I ended up re-decorating the room.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 11:48 am

Ouch! Lesson learned. I think I'll take Sim's advice and leave it for now.... I'll still complain to the body shop tomorrow and see if I can get a can of blue and a can of clear free of charge to sort it all out when it's milder..... Mind you it's only £12 for both, but it's the principle!
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 8:41 pm

Coming along nicely Mal .... I won't offer advice on painting as I can't do it but IMO a crap paint job in blue looks miles better than a white one with pink lettering ( on a blue bike ) anyday and as long as its sturdily mounted and you don't end up worrying about it dropping off ( like I was most of the time I was riding last year ) then all's well mate !
Main objective is to get the fixings & buffeting sorted before France I reckon ... if you can't get the aesthetics right, its no biggie really .......
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 8:53 pm

Sensible words.... But I don't think I've got the time to do a crap paint job on it..... Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 852880 Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 852880 Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 852880
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 11:21 pm

bigmal wrote:
That's probably not a bad idea. But don't laugh too loud you bastards Wink

John and debs will be leaving an 8 car gap between us on the ride down to Portsmouth, so they can pretend they don't know me Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 852880
Not true at all Mal ..... We'll be riding alongside, pointing and laughing Laughing

Until of course its pissing down and we are soaked through and you and Ali are relatively dry - then you'll be laughing at us.
Back to top Go down
bagtoracer68
bagtoracer68

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 12:23 am

Shouldn't it be "Broke-Batwing Mounting" ? Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 804997
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 9:43 am

msrke Barry Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 512357 Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 3213823784
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 8:13 pm

bagtoracer68 wrote:
Shouldn't it be "Broke-Batwing Mounting" ? Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 804997

Very good!
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 9:32 pm

So here's a funny thing... I was out all day Monday, so pillion missus went down to JTB with the funky can of turquoise paint and also my side panel to show them the mismatch. They were shut (but staff were there shipping out orders etc). So one of the owners took a look.... Said "that's ridiculous" and went off to mix a new can free of charge.

Just gave it a good shake (then gave the can a good shake sssmily sssmily ) and sprayed it on some white card.... Bloody turquoise again. Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 474255 Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 474255 Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 474255

What the fuck is going on?!?!?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 9:43 pm

bigmal wrote:

Just gave it a good shake (then gave the can a good shake sssmily sssmily ) and sprayed it on some white card.... Bloody turquoise again. Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 474255 Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 474255 Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 474255

What the fuck is going on?!?!?

Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 2645662097  are they using a camera to match the colour or going off the paint code?
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 9:48 pm

Both apparently... I gave them the code, and the bloke took the panel into his mixing room...
Very odd. I wonder if they've got an error on their database . The first can they mixed (fir my first attempt at spraying) was pretty damn close.... But it wasn't the same make of can as #2 and #3.

I think I'll go somewhere else :(

There is a place in Ashton, not too far from work.......
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 10:08 pm

Oh dear, oh dear ......
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 3:32 pm

Cheers Bugsy for priceless advice about waiting for a minimum temp before spraying. Now that we're in the middle of a mini heatwave in the uk.....

Flatted the shitty blue back down, applied fresh primer, as I suspect the colour works best over a pale grey.... Got a can of blue from a NEW supplier, and here it is after 4 coats of clear and a gentle buff. That's more like it Wink
Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Image
Back to top Go down
Skidalot
Very Valued VIP Member
Skidalot

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Now that is lgd
Back to top Go down
Bugsy
Bugsy

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 3:37 pm

Glad to help Mal, looking good Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 3498837457
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 3:47 pm

Now that looks great! patience and prep are everything.
Hows the engine?
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 4:11 pm

Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 4:21 pm

Looks great Mal  Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 2170595768 Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 276246
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 7:39 pm

Very professional Mal.  Looks good.  Can't wait to see it fitted and in all its glory!  Bet all that hard graft feels less of a chore now.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 9:07 pm

Looks professionally painted!  oyili
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 9:19 pm

lgd Mal.
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 6:29 am

lgd ilis Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 2645662097
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress   Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fugly batwing fairing... A work in progress
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2