Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lifting both wheels at once?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

Lifting both wheels at once? Empty
PostSubject: Lifting both wheels at once?   Lifting both wheels at once? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2019 4:23 pm

So I need two new tyres. I can save quite a bit by providing the tyre shop the loose wheels only. On top of that I want to inspect and service the shaft drive too so basically I need to remove both wheels at once.
In terms of jacks I have one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Custom-Bike-Center-Jack-Lift-ConStands-black/391502756375?epid=1753972609&hash=item5b2761fa17:g:eegAAOSwFqJWtGS7

I also have 2 car axle stands and a car jack.

My question is is it possible to lift the bike and remove both wheels with what ive got? The lift in the link is only designed to lift one end of the bike at once. So my idea was to lift the back end, remove the wheel, slide the axle back through the frame and lower the back end onto an axle stand. 

Then reposition the jack to lift the front end up, putting the car hydraulic jack under the engine as an extra means of safety. 

Is all that a bit too redneck and dangerous or relatively safe?

The other option is remove one wheel at a time and taking each to the tyre shop.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Lifting both wheels at once?   Lifting both wheels at once? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2019 5:18 pm

DON'T DO IT THAT WAY!!!!
Get a screw scissor jack from M & P or such. I have one & with it under the bike in the right place it will have both wheels off in a short while & the frame bars will sit on it flat & square not a balancing job. If I can find an e-bay link then I will ok?
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Lifting both wheels at once?   Lifting both wheels at once? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2019 5:19 pm

go to e-bay, type in motorcycle scissor jack & you're away. cheapest is about £32- inclusve ok?
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Lifting both wheels at once?   Lifting both wheels at once? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2019 5:46 pm

Any chance you could send a link to the one you have? I always thought these bikes needed hydraulic jacks
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Lifting both wheels at once?   Lifting both wheels at once? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2019 7:55 pm

I have exactly the same type of lift & it works 100%! 
I have had it for over 6 years so I don't have any other info on it. Get one & you will be grateful you did as they are perfect for the job & you can get the bike  a foot off the ground at least. Why do you need hydraulics? I use my booted foot to turn the lever to get it up.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Lifting both wheels at once?   Lifting both wheels at once? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2019 9:27 pm

Thanks I didnt know those jacks were suitable for our bikes. I think on this occasion I'll just take the wheels individually (as i want them done ASAP) but will order a scissor jack for any future maintenance. 

On an unrelated note are the wheel bearings for these bikes generally pretty long lasting? I will of course inspect them but ive never heard of bearing failures.

Also how often should rear brake shoes be changed?
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: Lifting both wheels at once?   Lifting both wheels at once? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2019 1:54 am

I replace shoes when groove in them nearly gone.bearings never had a problem spin wheel from time to time and listen for any undue noises,also check for play in wheels .One thing tho if I use my lift to take both wheels off ground and then drop rear out she could topple forward these bikes are front heavy with rear off.so I put my trolly Jack under front tyre let her rest on that .
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Lifting both wheels at once?   Lifting both wheels at once? Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2019 7:45 am

So ive pulled the back tyre.
Unfortunately my jack didnt lift the rear up high enough to roll the tyre out, so I had to take the final drive off and get it out of the side instead. Not a big issue as the drive had to come out anyway.

The drive shaft splines were mainly dry, dirty and a bit rusty with old dirty grease at the drive end, and bone dry at the trans end.
Removed the dust seal, removed the snapring, degreased everything, applied a lot of molypaste, new dust seal, reassembled. Glad I did it, bike has 16000 miles or so.

Drum brakes, absolutely filthy. Covered in dust, dirt and some light surface corrosion. Cleaned thoroughly with brake cleaner, toothbrush and rags. Used some wet and dry to rough up the brake pads a little. 
All done and ready for the new tyre. Glad I did this, it was in dire need of some servicing
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: Lifting both wheels at once?   Lifting both wheels at once? Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2019 3:49 pm

Thought that might be the case height size but good job.IT's good to  get that shaft out  and greased for piece of mind.A decent lift is a good piece of kit to have about you.Only thing with mine is when up with bike on dosnt come down slowly get what you pay for i suppose .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lifting both wheels at once?   Lifting both wheels at once? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lifting both wheels at once?
Page 1 of 1