Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Screen or not

Go down 
+6
pledge
Bluesman
alfie92
simbo
captain crash
littletoe
10 posters
AuthorMessage
littletoe
littletoe

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Mine came with a screen fitted,it was the first thing I removed.I know some like 'em some don't.I like mine stripped back to the basics,like to know what your preference is and why-in 500 words or less Screen or not 3005623951
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 9:01 pm

I would say that screens are only needed for the guys that do a lot of 60mph plus highway miles
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 9:13 pm

Without for local "A" road trips 50 mile ish, with for longer rides taking motorways, Half an hour and mine goes from naked to screen and bags fitted.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 9:50 pm

Screen always on for me,love them,great protection from wind and rain,if I could afford it would buy full screen.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 9:58 pm

I always think of cruisers as the ultimate in motorcycle 'cool'. Impractical riding gear but classy, dripping with bling /bugger the cleaning and never mind the wind, you never saw Marlon Brando or Steve McQueen behind a screen (yeah I know someone will find a pic and post itScreen or not 1993399755) I love the screens on my current bikes but when I went for a test ride on an 800 today, I felt a bit of a softy with the screen. Big headlight at the front - that's all I need. But if you want to tour on the Intruder, you probably need a screen. I suppose it's because I only ever wanted my Intruder as a town bike I'm a non screeny freak.

500 words exactly Screen or not 4010246051
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 10:33 pm

Screen always on.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 11:25 pm

Fitted mine for first big tour a couple of years ago, and leave it on all the time now. I'm currently buggering around with some black leather to see if I can fashion an upholstered panel to sit low on the screen, to hold a pocket for phone, maybe spex & other odds & sods. What with double 12v socket, satnav mount, and screen brackets, I've no room on my bars left for anything else, so it could be handy.

If if it ever gets made and is passable I'll post a pic here Wink

On the other hand, if it looks shite........
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 11:30 pm

Still craving one...
If I could afford one, I'd get that Falcon Slipstreamer one....
big ass screen...and would probably make the whole bike look less attractive but can't fault the "no wind" comfort when touring..especially now with my wife always tagging along.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 11:53 pm

MarcinG wrote:
.especially now with my wife always tagging along.

You can't beat the Mrs on the bike with you, you never have to give any excuses as to why you've been out so long.
I've been looking into a National cycles chopped or shorty screen lately, they only take seconds to fit or remove, but fuck! they're expensive.
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 9:00 am

simbo wrote:
MarcinG wrote:
.especially now with my wife always tagging along.

You can't beat the Mrs on the bike with you, you never have to give any excuses as to why you've been out so long.
I've been looking into a National cycles chopped or shorty screen lately, they only take seconds to fit or remove, but fuck! they're expensive.
Sim, be careful with the chopped screen bud. I had a 16" screen fitted before I bought the Slipstreamer and it buffeted my head so much it gave me double vision at anything above 60mph. It was just at the right height to channel all the wind on to the top 3rd of my helmet and I guess thats what caused the escessive buffeting. I'd rather do without a screen than fit one like that again.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 11:48 am

Twojobmick wrote:
be careful with the chopped screen bud. I had a 16" screen fitted before I bought the Slipstreamer and it buffeted my head so much it gave me double vision at anything above 60mph. It was just at the right height to channel all the wind on to the top 3rd of my helmet and I guess thats what caused the escessive buffeting. I'd rather do without a screen than fit one like that again.

Cheers Mick Screen or not 3498837457 I'll experiment by cutting the one I've got down to 15" and see what it's like before taking the plunge.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Most of the info I have seen on this shows that the majority of times the riders get head buffeting is as because of the wind that comes under the screen rather than over it. Thats where the lowers come in to play, just found this on google images

Screen or not Howlowerswork
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 1:01 pm

Interesting. Does this mean head buffeting is at its worst with no screen or with a screen and no lowers? I remember riding fast with no screen on the Intruder and feeling the massive push on my chest but not much head buffeting. Not sure here. I have done a lot of experimenation with the screen on my DL and the overwhelming cause of head buffeting has been the angle of the screen and the shape of my helmet. I now have a raked back modified screen and a sports helmet and no buffeting. On the Volusia I rode yesterday I noticed the screen sits very upright. I wonder if this is what is causing some of the problem. As smaller fly screen may be just as effective. Lowers are probably the answer but I can't say they look good at all!

Last edited by Bluesman on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 1:05 pm

I can kind of put up with the head buffeting, but hate that feeling with no screen where you feel you could almost be pushed off the bike by the wind pressure.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 1:08 pm

Also, even if we all had the exact same screen, each one would be fitted differently... different height, different rake, etc.... add to that some folks are taller, some are wider, some are taller and wider (hello).

Everyone would get a diiifferent experience of what is the same!

I messed around with mine for ages... had it too tall initially.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 1:13 pm

bigmal wrote:
I can kind of put up with the head buffeting, but hate that feeling with no screen where you feel you could almost be pushed off the bike by the wind pressure.

Not sure. head buffeting and double vision is most annoying and probably dangerous - depends how bad it is. A touring bike with good slipstream(fairing and adjustable screen) gives the best ride at speed. I sometimes wonder if cruisers are better ridden at lower speeds anyway. Still if you own a cruiser, you should not be prevented from going fast even if they look a bit bulky kitted out to solve the problem. The important thing with any bike is to get it set up so that it suits the rider. Comfort is paramount, especially on a long, fast road.
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 1:26 pm

[quote="Bluesman"]
bigmal wrote:
I sometimes wonder if cruisers are better ridden at lower speeds anyway.
I have always considered cruisers are for the more laid back style of riding which is riding at a more sadate speed. But hey you buy a bike to do what suits you best.
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 8:43 am

simbo wrote:
Twojobmick wrote:
be careful with the chopped screen bud. I had a 16" screen fitted before I bought the Slipstreamer and it buffeted my head so much it gave me double vision at anything above 60mph. It was just at the right height to channel all the wind on to the top 3rd of my helmet and I guess thats what caused the escessive buffeting. I'd rather do without a screen than fit one like that again.

Cheers Mick Screen or not 3498837457 I'll experiment by cutting the one I've got down to 15" and see what it's like before taking the plunge.

I've still got the 16" screen c/w mounts which you can borrow and try if ya like mate. I don't want to get rid of it as I'm planning to put it back on the bike IF I ever sell it but you're welcome to take it and try it for a while bud
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 9:14 am

Twojobmick wrote:
I've still got the 16" screen c/w mounts which you can borrow and try if ya like mate. I don't want to get rid of it as I'm planning to put it back on the bike IF I ever sell it but you're welcome to take it and try it for a while bud

Cheers Mick Screen or not 433968 I'll pm you about picking it up mate Screen or not 3498837457
Back to top Go down
littletoe
littletoe

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Bluesman wrote:
I always think of cruisers as the ultimate in motorcycle 'cool'. Impractical riding gear but classy, dripping with bling /bugger the cleaning and never mind the wind, you never saw Marlon Brando or Steve McQueen behind a screen (yeah I know someone will find a pic and post itScreen or not 1993399755) I love the screens on my current bikes but when I went for a test ride on an 800 today, I felt a bit of a softy with the screen. Big headlight at the front - that's all I need. But if you want to tour on the Intruder, you probably need a screen. I suppose it's because I only ever wanted my Intruder as a town bike I'm a non screeny freak.

500 words exactly Screen or not 4010246051

Smart-arse Screen or not 2170595768
Back to top Go down
bikerdave
bikerdave

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Made my own windshield lowers. Took about a hour to make and cost about ÂŁ15 if I remember right.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 6:36 pm

Oh deary deary me, you've gone and done it now bikerdave. We want the info and pictures in the Aftermarkets done section asap. You are not alowed to say you have done something here we need the ins and out Screen or not 852880 Screen or not 184121345 Please
Back to top Go down
bikerdave
bikerdave

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 6:49 pm

Will do a write up with info and materials used later. Suffering with Man Flu at the moment so will try and do it in the next couple of days. But if you look on my photos in "the show room" section you will see them fitted.
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi, Dave I'd be really interested to see how you have made your lowers, will look forward to your write up and photo's.
Back to top Go down
bikerdave
bikerdave

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 9:20 pm

http://www.instructables.com/id/Motorcycle-Lowers-low-deflectors/ALLSTEPS This is the webpage I used to make my lowers. Photos and a complete step by step guide to how to make them, tools used and materials used.Screen or not 394307 Time to get back to my night nurse and whiskey. sniff sniff, cough cough Screen or not 3660331482
Back to top Go down
bikerdave
bikerdave

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 9:30 pm

Will take some photos of mine at the weekend if anybody is interested. Screen or not 230572241
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 11:12 pm

Excellent news. By the way, your night nurse sounds very enticing :)
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 pm

bigmal wrote:
By the way, your night nurse sounds very enticing :)

Screen or not 3213823784
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 12:17 am

bikerdave wrote:
Will take some photos of mine at the weekend if anybody is interested. Screen or not 230572241

If you would please Dave Screen or not 3498837457 I've got plenty of the lexan and wouldn't mind making some lowers, I've read the "how to" but picture's speak a thousand words.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Screen or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen or not   Screen or not Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Screen or not
Page 1 of 1