Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.

Go down 
+25
churchy
sayhello
v-twin
Twojobmick
volusiam4tt
OldManYam
Keith81
katsd
rossmofo
Mr Intruder
simbo
captain crash
Ken1964
Chuckie1976
peardrop3
Bigredbus4468
locoskullz
Rattler
Two-Bears
Bunso Steel
Proudtexson
JJW
Doc Cox
alfie92
fat intruder
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2016 8:17 pm

v-twin wrote:
Good man. How much difference does it actually make? Is it noticeable and is the fuel consumption less??

It's very noticeable Andrew, it's like dropping a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket which makes each gear feel longer and cruising at 75 more relaxed, it drops the revs by about 500 to 700, 5 to7 hundred rpm's doesn't sound a lot but it makes a big difference to how the bike rides as well,  not sure on fuel consumption? probably better when cruising at a steady 70 ish as the revs will be lower but overall? probably the same.

BurgerSru1e likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2016 1:01 pm

Best mod you could ever do. If only one was to be done, this should be it.
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2016 1:31 pm

simbo wrote:
v-twin wrote:
Well?? How's Mick
It was an eventful morning!  VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 880307  after parking the bike half under the carport thinking I'd be working on the rear in the sunshine  sunny  it rained  VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 536894  and after about the 20th attempt at getting the shaft to line up  VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 880307  it finally slotted home and went smoothly back together  VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 2747638305 quick test ride  VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 586905 and off he rode into the distance  VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 696333
I'm fine Andrew thanks ...... and thanks again Sim for your patience and hard work yesterday.

Done a bit of a write up in the "Member Recognition" section if you want to read up on it.

Andrew, it makes a heck of a difference ! 

As Sim said ... 600rpm might not sound a lot but when you think then engine's only spinning  4100rpm at 70mph with standard gearing and it drops to 3500 with the 1400 gearing, thats dropping it by over 15% ....... a noticeable reduction, especially as the 800 has always seemed "buzzy" at around 70mph.

Its a great mod and one I'd recommend to anyone ..... its like I have a bigger version of the Intruder now !
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2016 9:46 pm

Well done, another good job done. VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 3498837457
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 9:25 am

Good to see another member in that club  VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 184121345
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 9:23 am

Sounds as tho he's going down the same route, but his revs don't make sense - is he saying that he is now getting (with the mod) 60 mph / 4200 rpm ?  What was his revs / speed ratio before - Andrew (v-twin) can you shed some light ?  Now I've fitted the rev-counter on my bike, I can see I'm getting (in second gear) approx 10 mph per 1000 rpm - so 30 mph = 3000 rpm, (in third gear) approx 40 mph at 3000 rpm & (in top gear) 70 mph at 3500 rpm.  From what I'm understanding of what he's saying ( & I may be reading it wrong), that even with the mod fitted, he's getting a lower speed / higher rev ratio than we are without the mod?  Am I reading it wrong ?  Are VX's that much more higher revving than VL's ?

At least you know it's possible
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 11:28 am

I reckon the VX 800 will be geared differently to our VL's Dave - it's a different type of bike and from what I remember from Andrew's VX it redlined at about 9000 rpm which is higher than you'd want to rev ours to ........ That might explain the difference ?
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 6:18 pm

The VX does indeed redline at 9k, which it will get to eventually, I can't remember the speed to rev ratios though, but from memory I think it would do about 120mph (on a good day with back wind Wink ). I did contemplate doing the same kind of thing with the shaft that has been done with the VL, but I could not find enough info to 100% confirm it would work on a VX without a lot of work, so I decided against it and bought my GSX1100G :)
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 5:35 pm

Personally I think you are not going to be able to do this unless you completely redesign the bike so better to buy a VL800 & put the VS1400 diff on that sorry to say.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2016 10:35 am

I agree with Pete - unless you absolutely adore the bike, it seems like a helluv a lot of work for the gains.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 11:20 am

sayhello 

As far as I'm aware, no one on this forum has any experience of doing this mod to a VX, only to Intruders.  Andrew had a VX, but had not changed the diff unit (correct Andrew?).  Unless someone here has personal knowledge of this mod to a VX, it would probably be best if you were seeking help from the forum where you saw it posted originally.  I would have thought that a VX forum would be better able to advise you than an Intruder forum.  I'm sure we'd all be very interested to hear how you get on with it.

The link you posted just goes to an index page
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 8:24 pm

katsd wrote:
sayhello 

As far as I'm aware, no one on this forum has any experience of doing this mod to a VX, only to Intruders.  Andrew had a VX, but had not changed the diff unit (correct Andrew?).  Unless someone here has personal knowledge of this mod to a VX, it would probably be best if you were seeking help from the forum where you saw it posted originally.  I would have thought that a VX forum would be better able to advise you than an Intruder forum.  I'm sure we'd all be very interested to hear how you get on with it.

The link you posted just goes to an index page

VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 428386 VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 2215087486  We're here to help in any way possible! but unfortunately no one on this forum has covered this modification on a VX800 (yet) good luck with your quest and keep us informed if it's possible  VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 3498837457
Back to top Go down
churchy
churchy

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 1:19 pm

More great info Dave, being new to the cruising scene I was looking at ways to squeeze a little more from my K3
Back to top Go down
beachartist
Prospect
beachartist

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun May 21, 2017 7:01 am

Ive followed this thread and have just got a 2005 vs1400 drive unit to put in my 2008 m50 boulevard. the driveshaft in the 1400 is 450mm long,20 mm longer than the 8oo driveshaft. if my measuremets are correct ,I can use the unit with the original driveshaft, shortened by 20mm and with the shoulder turned down. this is different from everything I have read on this thread, so Im confused.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun May 21, 2017 8:05 pm

beachartist wrote:
Ive followed this thread and have just got a 2005 vs1400 drive unit to put in my 2008 m50 boulevard. the driveshaft in the 1400 is 450mm long,20 mm longer than the 8oo driveshaft. if my measuremets are correct ,I can use the unit with the original driveshaft, shortened by 20mm and with the shoulder turned down. this is different from everything I have read on this thread, so Im confused.

I think you might need to read it again, The VS1400 shaft is no more than a paper weight for this mod, You use the 1400 diff with a modified M50/C50 shaft. Dimensions are on page 1 for the milling of the 800 shaft.
VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Shaft_zps52884bfc
Back to top Go down
beachartist
Prospect
beachartist

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon May 22, 2017 4:02 am

thanks for replying simbo, my vs 1400 diff,ex usa. the driveshaft is 20mm longer than the m50 boulevard driveshaft, not shorter as your pictures show. I have just come back from a quick ride with the new diff and it makes a huge difference,as others have said. all I have done is slot out the mounting holes in the driveshaft cover,as per instructions, then cut off 20 mm off the end of the 1400 driveshaft , ground down the shoulder, as per instructions,then mounted diff in. worked a treat. thats why I said I was confused with the pictures because the driveshaft shown, is definetly not what I have?????
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2017 8:45 pm

Hi all, just fitted the final bit to my diff swap! I have bought from Ronbinsons Foundry the chrome cap to hide the spindle on the diff. Part number is 64792-38B00 & cost around £10- + postage.
Finishes off the diff so you no longer need to see the ugly spindle now!
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2017 9:55 pm

tuwp
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 7:19 am

hawktheslayer wrote:
tuwp
Not for those of us who have ever removed the back wheel & know what Pete is talking about  glasses
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 9:28 am

I don't really think a picture of a chrome cap on the diff is earth shatteringly useful Justin & seeing as photobucket & I do not work together it will remain forever just a thought to some of you who have NOT done there own diff swap & anyway you'll see it in Wales next month so will have to wait till then sorry.
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 10:51 am

VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 2215087486
Back to top Go down
Lukaszmlynaczyk
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2020 11:51 am

hello. I transferred the diff from 1.4 to 750. everything works.
Back to top Go down
saint_butcher
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 24, 2023 10:02 pm

sure thing - this is one of the most important threads - i am so happy about all the information. AWESOME
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.   VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread. - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VS1400 Drive & Shaft Modification ......................How To Thread.
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7