Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.

Go down 
+5
fat intruder
alfie92
simbo
Bunso Steel
Mr Intruder
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Empty
PostSubject: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

OK now this may be a silly idea and if you think it is then say so. However with our France trip coming up I was thinking it would be nice to have the screen on the bike, for a bit of wind protection. However my screen would look like shit on my bike as I have ape hanger bars on. So I have come up with an idea of cutting some clear perspex and mounting it in between the handle bars. I wouldn't have to necessarily have to go as high up as I have illustrated as I only want the pressure off my chest. With it being clear perspex unless you were really looking at the bike, you would probably not notice it so much.
What do you think?

Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Screenidea_zps0430777b

From the side you would see nothing at all if flat perspex was used.

Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. IMG_1038_zpsb5dd0ae9
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 4:43 pm

It would certainly do the job, but might look a bit funny. I would round the top edge a bit rather than have it going straight across.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. 428386 as Joe said about rounding the top edge,and as your sat lower on the bike I'd think halfway up the apes to start the round would be sufficient.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Dave stick to around 50mph,your chest,and the police will be happy then.If you do make one see if you can make it, to sit in your pannier bag,then you can clip it on to your bars when and if required,good idea but definitely a personal choice.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 6:03 pm

50 mph Suspect not sure i could do that distance at that speed if we'r on the motorway 70/80 would be more like it but i'll go with the flow .
good idear dave and good sugestions from every one
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 6:54 pm

The quick image I did was just to give an idea of my initial thinking on this mod & it would only ever be used for high speed long distance trips and then stored. I actually think that as little as a 6" piece placed just above the handle bar mounted speakers and tacho would be enough to do the job. I don't believe it would be that noticeable as it would be flat and perfectly clear. On that note though we will have to see. It would have to be secure as my average motorway speed is normally about 90mph but I have some chrome fixings I could use to hold it in place. I will make some prototypes to see how this works out over the next few weeks.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
my average motorway speed is normally about 90mph .
thank god for that 90 sounds very reasonable
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 8:04 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
I actually think that as little as a 6" piece placed just above the handle bar mounted speakers and tacho would be enough to do the job.

Your thinking is correct Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. 3498837457 I had a naked bandit 600 with a little screen above the headlight, and it greatly reduced wind blast for sure.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
It would have to be secure as my average motorway speed is normally about 90mph .

It's to put your racing number on really Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. 852880
Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. RoadracingIntruder_zps68a55161
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 9:35 pm

fat intruder wrote:
Mr Intruder wrote:
my average motorway speed is normally about 90mph .
thank god for that 90 sounds very reasonable

90? On Intruder?

How do you achieve that without getting your engine to spit its guts out?
It sounds horrible at 70 already. :S
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Suzuki's sound like sewing machines, that's just the way they are. Get rid of those shitty stock pipes and it will sound much better.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:59 pm

Isn't 90 like borderline max for our bikes?
I see some reports of 108ish max after modding.

I'm starting to think I'll have hard time keeping up on any meet up's as I do 60ish at most. :shock:

Love the idea of the screen by the way.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:06 pm

Firstly the red line on these bikes would not be reached until 125mph, not that you would ever get it there. however that proves that 90mph is fine and the bikes will do that speed all day long. Also my bikes never exceed 99mph under any circumstances as 100mph is an automatic ban from the road.
Secondly when on a ride out with other riders, you ride to the skills and abilities of your weakest or most nervous riders, not to the faster riders.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:12 pm

That's good to know that 90 is safe for our bikes.

It's also good to know about the ride outs...makes sense.

125mph.... mental...would probably do that once...off the cliff ;D
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:14 pm

my shortcuts sound disgusting at 70 let alone 90 Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. 1993399755
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:33 pm

90 affraid F**K me.... you'll be in Honfleur drinking beer before I've caught the ferry Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. 852880
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 12:08 am

I am happy to travel at any speed when in convoy and very much enjoy plodding along but when I am on my own on a long trip I get bored.
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 12:50 am

Dave This may be off topic, but with that new mod on yours, at 90 your bike would just be breathing good.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 12:53 am

I agree Tex, she will be cruising at 90 very happily and using less fuel as well. What a bonus.
Back to top Go down
sanos
sanos

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 5:16 am

Not a goog idea to mount them directly on the apes like that. At high speeds probably get more buffeting and most of all putting more pressure on your risers where it's clamped, steering and handling issue at high winds.. Plus I've never seen anyone really done it that way and there must be a reason why. But Hey, you might as well do it and tell us the outcome. We will never know unless someone had tried it. Hey if it works out good, you might as well put a patent on it and get rich.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 7:05 am

The big screens bolt to the bars and the underside of the triple tree however most of the small wind deflectors / screens that the members have only clamp on to the bars. I am only looking at a 6" screen so I have no concerns about the risers. For me it's all about the fun of trying something new and trying to get the best out of it. I will probably make a few prototypes out of wood to see if the idea sucks or not before cutting perspex. If it works that'll be great but if it don't then I will have enjoyed trying. Although even with that said, please still keep any criticisms or worries coming. That way at least I will have had the benefit of lots of minds helping me. Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. 3498837457
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 8:10 am

I can "mount" it in Photoshop for you mate so you can have a look how it would look like Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. 3498837457
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 11:25 am

Mr Intruder wrote:
I am happy to travel at any speed when in convoy and very much enjoy plodding along but when I am on my own on a long trip I get bored.
Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. 276246 agree go with the flow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.   Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Home made ape hanger handle bar screen, possible idea.
Page 1 of 1