Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

VX800 connector hose between airboxes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sacruickshank
Prospect

VX800 connector hose between airboxes Empty
PostSubject: VX800 connector hose between airboxes   VX800 connector hose between airboxes Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 1:30 am

Not directly a fuel or jetting question, but closely related. 

My 1990 VX800 has a hose connecting the front and rear airboxes. Each airbox has it's own filter and intake, so the hose lets air flow from front to rear airbox or vice versa. I guess it provides more even air flow between the two. I'm not sure if this design is used on the other Suzi Vtwins 

My question is  ... how important is the connector hose between the front and rear airboxes on the vx800? Mine definitely has some tears that will let air in and cause higher idle revs. My options seem to be: 
1.) buy a new one for $50. I bought the bike super cheap, so I'd rather not drop $50 if it's not needed.
2.) replace with bicycle inner tube, but would it melt?
3.) fix existing hose with duct tape
4.) cap the openings since each airbox has a separate intake anyway.

Any suggestions? Thx
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: VX800 connector hose between airboxes   VX800 connector hose between airboxes Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 9:00 am

Wrap it with self vulcanising tape?
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: VX800 connector hose between airboxes   VX800 connector hose between airboxes Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Sometimes buying the 'right part' can work out cheaper than the time it takes to do a 'running repair' or alternative fix.

If cash is 'tight' then Sim's suggestion might work ..... but if it doesn't then you are back to square one - spending a few more 'Dollars' on something else that may or may not work.

You could try blanking the ends where the pipe connects to the air-box - but  I'd suggest doing a lash-up with other bits (rather than cutting the original pipe -as you may need that to identify a suitable replacement if your 'experiments do not work as you hope). That would give you a chance to run the bike with blanks in the air filter boxes & see if it affected the general running of the motor.

You will have to try it & see.

You might be able to find something suitable at a bike breakers  (or possibly car breakers) - that's where the intact original pipe will come in handy for comparing it to similar items.

Hope that might help
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: VX800 connector hose between airboxes   VX800 connector hose between airboxes Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 9:19 am

I tend to agree with Yam, if the pipe is fairly straight and its a common internal diameter, a hose from a car would work but that may still cost you $10-$20 and a lot of time trying to find one that fits.
As the pipe is so high up, I don't think heat will be a problem so self-amalgamating tape should work, so as long as its free from heat or oil it should work.
Back to top Go down
sacruickshank
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: VX800 connector hose between airboxes   VX800 connector hose between airboxes Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 11:33 am

Thanks all. For the moment I have rubber stoppers plugging the airbox hose openings. Will continue working on the bike and come back to the connector hose later.

My current though is that a frayed throttle cable going to the rear carb is causing the high idle. The front carb is behaving correctly to changes in the mixture screw, but the rear isn't. Will work on that today.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: VX800 connector hose between airboxes   VX800 connector hose between airboxes Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Have you got a service manual for the VX as the carbs are not the easiest things to get setup correctly, from memory the idle is set on the rear carb and the front one is then synced to it when you 'balance' them, if you adjust the idle it can throw the carbs out of sync and you need to re-balance them again!!  Its fun !!
Back to top Go down
sacruickshank
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: VX800 connector hose between airboxes   VX800 connector hose between airboxes Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Yes, I have downloaded the manual and have sync'd carbs before. My theory on the rear carb is that the frayed cable end is causing the cable to be abnomally tight/short, then causing rear carb to be constantly above idle.
Back to top Go down
sacruickshank
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: VX800 connector hose between airboxes   VX800 connector hose between airboxes Icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2018 1:12 am

UPDATE - while the throttle cable for the rear carb was frayed, the real problem with the adjustment of the front carb's throttle cable. Previous owner had it set too tight causing a min of 2k rpm. Simple solution to slacken it all the way and then adjust for minimal slack. Now starts easily and idles just above 1k rpm. Picked up a used cable on ebay, so I'll install that this weekend to avoid any issues with the frayed cable and will sync the carbs some warm weekend.
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: VX800 connector hose between airboxes   VX800 connector hose between airboxes Icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2018 10:00 pm

Good to hear you are making progress with your VX ..... Hope it goes well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VX800 connector hose between airboxes   VX800 connector hose between airboxes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VX800 connector hose between airboxes
Page 1 of 1