Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bike is idling at very high rpm.

Go down 
+5
alfie92
Ken1964
Mr Intruder
simbo
DocSjulle
9 posters
AuthorMessage
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Empty
PostSubject: Bike is idling at very high rpm.   Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 8:33 pm

After driving home from a friend tonight, something weird has happened.

I accelerated hard and when it was time to slow down and turn, the bike kept up a high rpm.
The throttle feels the same, but I'm not sure if it drives right throughout the rpm range, as I was going through the city, and had to keep it in the lower gears and brake, to not go too fast.

It does about 80-90km/h in forth gear without touching the throttle.

When I got home I turned of the bike, and when starting it again it's the same high rpm.

I have the Cobra Fi controller and DIY TRE installed, but don't think these can do this. Unless the controller is throwing fuel into the engine.

Any ideas what I should check for tomorrow ?

The obvious is to check if the throttle inlet is stuck at part open, but anything else ?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Bike is idling at very high rpm.   Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 8:53 pm

Check the Throttle cables, in the housing too?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Bike is idling at very high rpm.   Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 8:59 pm

Yes check at the end of the cables. Could be a frayed cable possibly. Could be a dodgy TPS, unlikely. Probably a leaking vacuum issue though, are the lines on correctly try, not loose?
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Bike is idling at very high rpm.   Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 9:40 pm

Thx guys, I'll check the cables.

I have removed the pair valve and blocked the ports, what other vacuum lines are there ?
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Bike is idling at very high rpm.   Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 7:32 am

Started the bike cold, still high rpm.

Checked both cables, they are fine.

Checked the PAIR valve block off plates in the heads, they are nice and tight.

Removed the tank and could see the primary throttle valve shaft did not return all the way to the idle position.

Removed the intake snorkel and........... Bike is idling at  very high rpm. 249703 affraid Bike is idling at  very high rpm. 249703 affraid 

This is what I found Bike is idling at  very high rpm. 474255Bike is idling at  very high rpm. 2516569736

Bike is idling at  very high rpm. IMG_0397

The greedy bastard had tried to suck in the piece of foam, I used behind to cone filter in my attempt to make it a snug fit.

Now I just need to find out if blocking the secondary throttle valve, did damage to the STVA (Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator)
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Bike is idling at very high rpm.   Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 4:40 pm

DocSjulle wrote:

The greedy bastard had tried to suck in the piece of foam, 

Bike is idling at  very high rpm. 2740622253  Glad you got it sorted Kim  Bike is idling at  very high rpm. 3498837457
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Bike is idling at very high rpm.   Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 5:52 pm

I decided to check the STVA for damage by pulling it from the throttle body, and taking it apart.

To do this I had to remove the secondary throttle position sensor, and that is a bitch to put back in, but more on that later.
REMEMBER to mark the position of the STPS on the STVA, otherwise you will have to calibrate it afterwards.

Bike is idling at  very high rpm. IMG_0123
Bike is idling at  very high rpm. IMG_0124

We are in luck with the STVA, as it is kept together with screws and not rivets.

Bike is idling at  very high rpm. IMG_0115
Bike is idling at  very high rpm. IMG_0118

Another lucky thing is that it used two metal gears instead of plastic, and it was in mint condition.

Bike is idling at  very high rpm. IMG_0121

Now came the hard part, installing it back in.
It is not possible to install the STVA with the STPS in place, and there is not enough room to put the screw holding it in place, after the STVA has been installed.

After I spend about 30min on this, I decided to loosen the complete throttle body.
Success, it moved the whole assembly up, allowing room to put the screw in.

Everything is back together and the bike is perfect again.
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Bike is idling at very high rpm.   Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 6:49 pm

Pleased to read, all is well. Must of been an extraordinary worry at first.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Bike is idling at very high rpm.   Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 9:56 pm

Nice one Kim, glad your sorted.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Bike is idling at very high rpm.   Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 10:04 pm

Excellent piece of work Kim, well done, and documented.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Bike is idling at very high rpm.   Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 10:20 pm

Someone I know bought a non running 1978 (I think) Kawasaki 750 Triple as a non runner, it had done 4500 miles from new and still had the original tyres. Started to take the carbs off and found the foam air filter had been sucked into the carbs (mind you I think the foam had turned into powder), he sorted that out and gave it a good service and it ran like new. When he took it for its MOT he got offered 20k for it Bike is idling at  very high rpm. 2706044628

Its very often the stupid little things that catch us out, the vacuum from a carb is stronger than you think, when I was testing my vacuum gauges I connected them up to the wifes hoover and it did not read as much as the carbs were sucking!!
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Bike is idling at very high rpm.   Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 10:47 am

Nice one Kim .... glad you got it sorted & shared your findings !

Careful Andrew .... if your wife sees your test results she will be after a new 'Hoover' ......
..... or worse still borrowing your bike to do the hovering !  Bike is idling at  very high rpm. 2343124779 Bike is idling at  very high rpm. 3213823784 hyst Bike is idling at  very high rpm. 852880 Bike is idling at  very high rpm. 2343124779

Bike is idling at  very high rpm. 3005623951    Yam
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

PostSubject: Re: Bike is idling at very high rpm.   Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 10:59 am

Well done Kim, excellent result and great photos and description Bike is idling at  very high rpm. 3498837457
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Bike is idling at very high rpm.   Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 6:36 pm

Interesting, as much as I like the idea of playing with carbs again THIS makes me sooo glad I have Fi!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bike is idling at very high rpm.   Bike is idling at  very high rpm. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bike is idling at very high rpm.
Page 1 of 1